Player Discussion Karson Kuhlman, what's his upside?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
He's been impressive since coming back. I don't think we've seen anyone have as much chemistry with DeBrusk as Kuhlman. Is he the product of that chemistry, or is he a legitimate top6 forward? I see folks penciling him into the 4th line next year, but I don't think anyone on the coaching staff or management see him as 4th line option.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
DeBrusk minus a few goals.

Remember how pathetically low he was in the prospect rankings thread before this season?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
He makes things happen.....good speed, draws penalties.

Seems like everytime he is on the ice there is an almost moment, whether is the result of his pass,his shot,his hustle or speed.

If he can improve on his finishing ability that would be awesome, but maybe at this point he is what he is.

On the 3rd line as mentioned above, bjork-coyle-kuhlman, thats a good spot for him. Not on the 2d line though.

I see him as more of a 10 - 15 goal guy, would also like his speed on the PK

Reactions: PlayMakers

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I don't get to see all the games, and I must get the underwhelming Kuhlman performances. He does look like he busts his ass nearly every shift, so I'm OK with him in the lineup. Part of me thinks he's eating Senyshyn's lunch at the NHL level though, and hopefully it eventually lights a fire under his ass.

ZS is still 2 years younger, it would be nice if this year was more of a competition between them. Next year they will both need waivers, so I'd imagine it's one or the other by then.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Never ever been a scorer. He is such a hard worker and a real good skater. His high end would be 15 goals Should be around 10-12 per year on a third line. Just my take

BruinsNetwork

Gritty, fast, tough middle-six winger with skill. Probably best suited for the third-line, though. Kuhlman can also play center as that’s his natural position, which is intriguing. I think he could be a steady 3C in the NHL, too.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
If Kuleman was only playing on the 3rd or 4th lines I would say he is a keeper he gives it his all. I admit I was wrong about this kid but he is not a top six guy at least not now

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I view him as a high end 4th liner, low end 2nd liner.... So I guess that places him on the third line doesn't it? :laugh:

But seriously- he's a fast, smart two way forward who seems to have a pretty high hockey IQ and I think that helps not label him as a fourth liner.

Reactions: Lo97

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Needs to work on his finish.

I really like his motor and he seems more comfortable playing physical this year than he did during last year's callup. He could be a real buzzsaw on the forecheck as long as he keeps up this attitude.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Upside is energy 3rd liner who can chip in maybe 35-40 points. Even if he doesn't reach that should be able to carve out a role as a 4th line energy type.

Reactions: CDJ

member 96824

Wakes up in some “like mike” scenario - Poor man’s Zach Parise

Realistic - 10-15 goal energy guy who can play up. Rich Peverley ish

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't get to see all the games, and I must get the underwhelming Kuhlman performances. He does look like he busts his ass nearly every shift, so I'm OK with him in the lineup. Part of me thinks he's eating Senyshyn's lunch at the NHL level though, and hopefully it eventually lights a fire under his ass.

ZS is still 2 years younger, it would be nice if this year was more of a competition between them. Next year they will both need waivers, so I'd imagine it's one or the other by then.

Kuhlman will not require waivers next season unless he plays in 28 more games this season. Bruins have 25 games remaining + playoffs.

If he doesn't reach that, he "could" start next year in Providence and then the countdown begins.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
Upside is energy 3rd liner who can chip in maybe 35-40 points.
¿Qué....?

That's his present, actual, contribution. Okay, he's a little shy, on a 30 point pace so far through his first 36 NHL games, playing 2nd/3rd line, but when he completes his first 82 he'll be there.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Wonder how much his goal in game 6 colors the teams picture of him.

That one was a beauty, but they are smarter than that.

You give pretty much any guy in the league a little bit of room, they can pull off a skilled move. Think Dangles Thorty on that penalty shot, for example. I think I remember John Scott having a pretty goal or two as another example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad