Confirmed with Link: Karmanos GM and JD Forrest Coach of WBS

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
So is WBS a glorified waiting room for Karmanos? In other words for him to take that position as opposed to moving laterally in the NHL, was he promised he won’t be in the A too long before GMJR moves on to his permanent position at Golden Corral.

Reactions: farscape1

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
So is WBS a glorified waiting room for Karmanos? In other words for him to take that position as opposed to moving laterally in the NHL, was he promised he won’t be in the A too long before GMJR moves on to his permanent position at Golden Corral.
Yup.

When I hear that Pierre McGuire is a serious candidate for other GM jobs I thank God that Karmanos wants to stay here. :laugh:

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Hopefully the next off season we see Karmanos bumped to GM and JR gone or in an advisory role. Karmanos is stats heavy.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think something that goes under the radar is that Karmanos has built a staff that is being recognized as being some of the better young minds in the game. Sam Ventura was just ranked number 21 on the Athletic's top 40 under 40.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think something that goes under the radar is that Karmanos has built a staff that is being recognized as being some of the better young minds in the game. Sam Ventura was just ranked number 21 on the Athletic's top 40 under 40.

I think he’s a solid up and comer and having him in charge of our minor team should be really good when it comes to shrewd moves.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To think, Pens got him because his Dad is a dick and fired him over some money he owed his kids and didn't want to pay up.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
To think, Pens got him because his Dad is a dick and fired him over some money he owed his kids and didn't want to pay up.

His loss is our gain. The fact he hasn't left leads me to believe he is the heir apparent here. I don't honestly know much about the guy. If I were a betting man though, he's going to be the one leading the organization through a rebuild because JR is going to stick around until the wheels begin to fall off.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
His loss is our gain. The fact he hasn't left leads me to believe he is the heir apparent here. I don't honestly know much about the guy. If I were a betting man though, he's going to be the one leading the organization through a rebuild because JR is going to stick around until the wheels begin to fall off.
There's a good chance JR just gets one of those cushy head office roles with very little power and hands the reigns over to him. If JR does enough to move the needle this off season and the results show next season where the Penguins aren't bounced in the 1st round, I can see them keeping JR another year and then him retiring and Karmanos taking over after the Seattle Expansion year and it's time to start putting the next pieces into place while Sid and Geno transition into their mentor years before they finally hang them up.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
There's a good chance JR just gets one of those cushy head office roles with very little power and hands the reigns over to him. If JR does enough to move the needle this off season and the results show next season where the Penguins aren't bounced in the 1st round, I can see them keeping JR another year and then him retiring and Karmanos taking over after the Seattle Expansion year and it's time to start putting the next pieces into place while Sid and Geno transition into their mentor years before they finally hang them up.

This offseason is a low key big one for JR. He has to maneuver this roster through a quick retool and he has no picks, prospects, and very little cap space. He's going to have to get creative.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This offseason is a low key big one for JR. He has to maneuver this roster through a quick retool and he has no picks, prospects, and very little cap space. He's going to have to get creative.
It's where we will really get to see what JR is made of, to be honest it could either be a great thing or another write off by JR f***ing this team again while the Tweedle Dee to his Tweedle Dumb does the rest of the damage from the bench.

He's already dumped Bjugstad, for a very underwhelming return and they retained. So the next deal better blow our f***ing socks off.

I'm honestly more curious what Karmanos does, WBS has been one of those teams where they have been very good and just ok but a successful AHL franchise without a Calder. I wonder if he could finally find the pieces to support the prospects there and also build a winner, it'd go a long way with cementing his next step and adding more pedigree.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's where we will really get to see what JR is made of, to be honest it could either be a great thing or another write off by JR f***ing this team again while the Tweedle Dee to his Tweedle Dumb does the rest of the damage from the bench.

He's already dumped Bjugstad, for a very underwhelming return and they retained. So the next deal better blow our f***ing socks off.

I'm honestly more curious what Karmanos does, WBS has been one of those teams where they have been very good and just ok but a successful AHL franchise without a Calder. I wonder if he could finally find the pieces to support the prospects there and also build a winner, it'd go a long way with cementing his next step and adding more pedigree.

The issue with WBS is PIT takes anyone worth a damn to play depth roles and trades away all the other prospects. If they want a Calder they would need to pull a Toronto and through some significant contracts down there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The issue with WBS is PIT takes anyone worth a damn to play depth roles and trades away all the other prospects. If they want a Calder they would need to pull a Toronto and through some significant contracts down there.
Could be a good year for them with Legare & Poulin potentially joining them for the playoff drive. Maybe Puustinen?

Their regular seasons though are largely contingent on how bad the injury bug hits the big club and how big of contributors the AHL vets they sign end up being.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad