Karlsson's 2019-2020 season

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
How has he been substantially different than burns after his first year?.
When the Sharks traded for Burns, he had one year left on his deal. He immediately signed an extension BEFORE the season even started. Karlsson finished the season and signed a new contract only days before July 1st. There were reports that Karlsson wanted to see what other teams would offer before signing the contract but DW told him he was pulling the offer if he didn’t sign it before July 1 so he could pursue other free agents. That was Karlsson’s right, but Karlsson and Burns re-signed under very different circumstances.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I kinda take it that he hasn't taken any ownership of the team because he doesn't want to step on anybody's toes. Like it's a team that's had a pretty established core for the last decade and he has to come in and usurp a spot in that core seems like an awkward position to be in.

That is my feeling also. On ottawa he knew exactly what he was, where he stood on the pecking order and any one that came in had to go through him.

In san jose he is no longer the offense, he is no longer the leadership, he is no longer the undisputed team best.

On any given night in san jose he can take a back seat to burns as the best defensemen also.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
This seems like revisionist history. What has karlsson done to make you feel like he didn't want to play for San Jose. He purposely played in the all star game injured because he knew it is special for hometown fans. Played his ass off in the playoffs. Re signed with us and stated he never intended to sign elsewhere. How has he been substantially different than burns after his first year? Only one thing. He got hurt...

Yeah, he had a hard time adjusting to play with our team on the ice but that was mostly Pete Deboer's garbage system.

As CFTS said, he stated on more than one occasion that money was going to be his number one determining factor. He played through injury in a contract year for the team and I think to finish the year strong to keep his value as high as possible.

He signed in SJ because he and his wife knew the organization, fell in love with living in the Bay Area (to raise a family) and DW gave him max term at his asking price with a deadline attached. If he went to market July 1st after surgery, he risked having suitors with organizations in markets they weren’t interested in, less lucrative offers etc. Too many risk factors.

Let me be clear, I love watching EK65 play and hell I bought his jersey when we got him. I’m not saying he hates playing here, he just doesn’t come across as having that emotional connection to the Sharks organization that guys like Burns, Joe, Boyle, Kane etc. had from the get go. It’s just my opinion and I think it’ll probably just come with time.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
This seems like revisionist history. What has karlsson done to make you feel like he didn't want to play for San Jose. He purposely played in the all star game injured because he knew it is special for hometown fans. Played his ass off in the playoffs. Re signed with us and stated he never intended to sign elsewhere. How has he been substantially different than burns after his first year? Only one thing. He got hurt...

Yeah, he had a hard time adjusting to play with our team on the ice but that was mostly Pete Deboer's garbage system.

For me it’s just a gut feeling. Nothing against him and what he’s done but part of me still gets the feeling that deep down he’s not a Shark the same way someone like Jumbo, Burns, and more recently, Kane are.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I've never heard anything about DW giving Karlsson a deadline. After all, I believe that other teams could have talked to Karlsson a full week before free agency officially began.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I've never heard anything about DW giving Karlsson a deadline. After all, I believe that other teams could have talked to Karlsson a full week before free agency officially began.

It was probably something like if you make it to july 1st we know we aren't the team for you.

I laugh at the people that are saying he is just a hired gun. Karlsson gave up his ability to talk to other teams because he wanted to sign with san jose after how they treated him and his wife upon his arrival. Karlsson could of easily made more if there was a bidding war for him.

Karlsson has done and said everything that shows he likes san jose, the fans, the organization and the fans in san jose for the most part are shunning him and making him out to be a villian.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
It was probably something like if you make it to july 1st we know we aren't the team for you.

I laugh at the people that are saying he is just a hired gun. Karlsson gave up his ability to talk to other teams because he wanted to sign with san jose after how they treated him and his wife upon his arrival. Karlsson could of easily made more if there was a bidding war for him.

Karlsson has done and said everything that shows he likes san jose, the fans, the organization and the fans in san jose for the most part are shunning him and making him out to be a villian.

At the end of the day there’s gonna be a lot of fans who think with emotion and not facts.

Yes Karlsson is a good hockey player who can help the team.

Yeah Melker sucks.

Yeah Pavs at 7mil per for 3 years isn’t the best.

But to a lot of people they view EK65 as the reason we lost Pavs who’s a gigantic fan favorite and America’s favorite hockey son as well as overshadowing who many consider the true Karlsson in Melker.

So ya he’ll be vilified by a good portion of the fan base

Reactions: Sandisfan

HldMyBeer

May 15, 2019
sharks have never been able to develop a top tier offensive d, (maybe one?) is Melker going to be different?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->