Karlsson's 2019-2020 season

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
Howdy folks,

A Sens fan here, hope you're enjoying King Karl. Was pondering this today, what was Karlsson's season like this year? Obviously miss the guy a lot and he was a god for us, want to see him do well. What were your takeaways?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
He's a joy to watch, particularly when healthy. That said, his play is unbelievably inconsistent. There was a 20-game stretch in his first year, where he was neck and neck with Thornton for best I've seen a Shark play, ever. He also has games where he's remarkably poor defensively. It's possible injuries are directly responsible for these inconsistencies, but the ability remains, Sharks fans have seen it for maybe 40 games.

If we get 350 games of that quality by the time his contract ends, I'd be very pleased.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Some people prefer Tim Heed to Erik Karlsson. I am not one of those persons. What's sad about Karlsson is that when all is said and done, he probably won't have a "team" to be associated to. Like Jumbo is a Shark forever even after the Bruins erased him from their history. But Karlsson will never be welcomed by the Sharks fandom and he'll be forgotten in Ottawa.

Last edited:

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Some people prefer Tim Heed to Erik Karlsson. I am not one of those persons. What's sad about Karlsson is that when all is said and done, he probably won't have a "team" to be associated to. Like Jumbo is a Shark forever even after the Bruins erased him from their history. But Karlsson will never be welcomed by the Sharks fandom and he'll be forgotten in Ottawa.
I welcome Karlsson. The people who would rather have Pavelski for the next 3 years at his caphit are nuts.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
It's hard to make any real assessment of Karlsson individually because he missed so much time this year and the roster as a whole was such a tirefire

At times he looked like classic Karlsson who tilts the ice in his favor every time he's out there

At other times he looked very immobile and useless defensively

I think next year will tell us a lot more about what we can expect from him going forward than this season did

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
whaaa...? Who has ever said they prefer Heed? That's crazy...:laugh::laugh:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
How would the team have looked if we didn’t make the move for Karlsson?

Kane-Hertl-Pavs
Hoffman-Couture-Meier
Donskoi-Norris-Labanc
Balcers -Thornton-Sorensen

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Braun
Simek-Demelo(?)

I’m a big believer in their being no substitute for elite talent, but the middle of the line-up is seriously lacking quality.

that said, some of that depth (and likely the first) would have definitely gone for a quality D. Maybe someone like Gardiner?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Kane-Hertl-Pavs
Hoffman-Couture-Meier
Donskoi-Norris-Labanc

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Braun
Simek-Demelo(?)

I’m a big believer in their being no substitute for elite talent, but the middle of the line-up is seriously lacking quality.

that said, some of that depth (and likely the first) would have definitely gone for a quality D. Maybe someone like Gardiner?

Hoffman was never going to be a shark.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think it’s very hard to judge him so far.

The team was so weird and terrible, I’m not sure anyone played well. It almost felt like the loss to the Blues broke them physically and mentally... not to mention losing Pavs and a few other key guys. It seemed like they were all going from trying too hard to not trying at all.

Furthermore, I maintain that Karlsson was affected by having a newborn. Forget the emotional rollercoaster of losing a child and then having one, being a new parent, mid-season, with no sleep, it’s going to affect your play no matter what you do.

finally, I don’t know that he was 100% healed.

I’m excited for the next season because I’m hoping all our guys have had a significant time to recover and mentally reboot. I think Karlsson has shown us himself on God mode and next season I wanna see if he can do it for longer than a few games at a time.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

Kane-Hertl-Pavs
Hoffman-Couture-Meier
Donskoi-Norris-Labanc

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Braun
Simek-Demelo(?)

We've had this discussion before, the Sharks w/o the Karlsson deal.
Here's what we would have had and the end of last season for a roster
Kane-Hertl-Pavs
Hoffman-Couture-Meier
Donskoi-Tierney-Labanc
Thornton-Sorensen-Norris

Simek-Burns
Vlasic-Demelo/Braun
Dillon-Ferraro

Clearly more depth than the team actually had this past season.
Probably have kept Pavs, maybe Donskoi and or Braun, Demelo. Either
of the last 2-3 could have been moved. And we'd have
a high 1st rounder pick in the draft.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Kane-Hertl-Pavs
Hoffman-Couture-Meier
Donskoi-Norris-Labanc

Vlasic-Burns
Dillon-Braun
Simek-Demelo(?)

Hoffman is fool's gold. That is not a good team and they would probably be over the cap.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
On this year's team, Pavelski, Donskoi, and Hoffman would be, what, 16 million? Plus Tierney, that's getting close to 20 million. Sharks were already up against the cap.

Plus, the Sharks probably dodged a bullet not signing Pavelski or Donskoi.
Agreed, Pavelski isn't worth his contract by any stretch, and as long as PDB was our coach Donskoi would either be in the press box or in a role that makes him look like an AHLer

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Agreed, Pavelski isn't worth his contract by any stretch, and as long as PDB was our coach Donskoi would either be in the press box or in a role that makes him look like an AHLer

He's in a system that should be golden for him, yet he is still struggling. His unwillingness to go into dirty areas has seriously hampered his effectiveness.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
He had a rough year, like the whole team did, still waiting for him to actually be worth the assets and money we spent on him. So far its been two ho hum years, marred by injury.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
He's in a system that should be golden for him, yet he is still struggling. His unwillingness to go into dirty areas has seriously hampered his effectiveness.

Struggling? Based on what? Are you sure you are talking about Donskoi who plays for Colorado?

Guy has 6 pts and a +5, while being second in pts/60, and getting mostly defensive zone starts through 7 playoff games. I wish our players struggled that well.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Struggling? Based on what? Are you sure you are talking about Donskoi who plays for Colorado?

Guy has 6 pts and a +5, while being second in pts/60, and getting mostly defensive zone starts through 7 playoff games. I wish our players struggled that well.

Donskoi's just inconsistent, but he's been good so far in the playoffs. On average he's still a solid middle-6 guy. I will somewhat agree with ON4 in regards to his hesitancy to play a little rougher, though - his skill game is obviously impressive but there's some wasted potential there.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Donskoi's just inconsistent, but he's been good so far in the playoffs. On average he's still a solid middle-6 guy. I will somewhat agree with ON4 in regards to his hesitancy to play a little rougher, though - his skill game is obviously impressive but there's some wasted potential there.

Yeah but he has always been inconsistent....so to claim that he is now struggling because he is still inconsistent is well odd. He was on pace to shatter his career high in pts before his mid season injury (another non surprising issue for him sadly) and is now absolutely killing it in the playoffs so far. Once again if that is struggling, I want our players to struggle that well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad