Karlsson vs Trade 'Haul' Stat Comparison Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
You know what Boucher said in the '17 playoffs? He said they planned on cutting his ice-time during the season (which happened) so he'd be able to play big minutes in the playoffs (which happened). He said that EK was fully supportive of that ... from Boucher: "he had to get adjusted to it. And to his credit, he wanted that, he wanted to win. It was all about "coach, what do you want me to do and what do we need?""

So was he lying? Surely the maniacal Erik would have wanted to play 30 minutes a night, no?

Reactions: Deku and The Lewler

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
This has nothing to do with optimism. You said the Sens were shrewd in trading away Karlsson because his best days were behind him.

We shall find out if you were right in the not-so-distant future.

I said there were a multitude of reasons. His injuries are one of them for sure.

But interpret it however you need I guess.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You know what Boucher said in the '17 playoffs? He said they planned on cutting his ice-time during the season (which happened) so he'd be able to play big minutes in the playoffs (which happened). He said that EK was fully supportive of that ... from Boucher: "he had to get adjusted to it. And to his credit, he wanted that, he wanted to win. It was all about "coach, what do you want me to do and what do we need?""

So was he lying? Surely the maniacal Erik would have wanted to play 30 minutes a night, no?

Who are ya talking to bud?

Hopefully not me. I've never once mentioned his ice time. I'm talking strictly about on ice play..

Unless your suggesting that Karlsson is currently saving himself for the playoffs..

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Pretty sure EK would be more productive playing in Ottawa's open system vs San Jose's point-shot lovefest system.

Nevertheless, it still is early. In 2014-15, he had 36 points in the first 52 games, then 30 in his last 30. He could still end up scoring 55-60 points if he has a hot streak or two, and EK has always been a second-half player with the exception of 15-16 where he trailed off after carrying the team. Last 10 games he has 8 points.

If he signs for even 9 million with a team that plays a style more suited to him (could be SJ if they fire DeBoer), that team could be getting some real good years out of him. The talent is still there. He's not as good a skater as he was pre-June '17 but he's still one of the fastest. Right now it's more that his creativity is being stifled so the kind of points he was getting the past 9 years he's not getting now. He rarely carries the puck out of the zone and that's by design, not choice. Burns is feeling it too. BB88 had 27 and 29 goals his first two seasons with DeBoer, and had 12 last year and only 3 this year with a shooting percentage of 3.6. It says something that even he is struggling for goals and he's been very good most of this season. Almost every shot that he and EK take is low quality looking-for-a-tip type shot.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Who are ya talking to bud?

Hopefully not me. I've never once mentioned his ice time. I'm talking strictly about on ice play..

Unless your suggesting that Karlsson is currently saving himself for the playoffs..

Not not you. I was referencing the idea that Karlsson controlled everything about the team, yet Boucher said he was all about winning and doing whatever Guy required of him - which also ties into the "bad leader, selfish player" takes that are going on.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Not not you. I was referencing the idea that Karlsson controlled everything about the team, yet Boucher said he was all about winning and doing whatever Guy required of him - which also ties into the "bad leader, selfish player" takes that are going on.

Gotcha.

I dont think he was ever intentionally a bad teammate or anything like that at all, personally.

But I do think that he was a really strong personality with a commanding presence in that room.

And with him being utterly miserable last season, I think it played a big part in dragging the overall morale of the room through the mud. Unintentional on his part, but the storm cloud lifted almost the day he was traded away...

Sort of like Duchene in Colorado tbh.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Gotcha.

I dont think he was ever intentionally a bad teammate or anything like that at all, personally.

But I do think that he was a really strong personality with a commanding presence in that room.

And with him being utterly miserable last season, I think it played a big part in dragging the overall morale of the room through the mud. Unintentional on his part, but the storm cloud lifted almost the day he was traded here...

I kind of feel like the storm cloud would have lifted if he was re-signed too - then all the speculation would have been gone and everybody could go along knowing what the direction was.

Reactions: Beville

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Guys... I think it's pretty obvious....

The guys hated Karlsson's candy cane bunt cake.

You've been Stooooned

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Looks like Karlsson is starting to find his game:

Last 15 games: 14 points, +6
First 18 games: 7 points, -11

And the inverse is true for Tierney and Demelo:

Tierney:
Last 15 games: 5 points, -7
First 17 games: 15 points, +1

Demelo:
Last 15 games: 1 point, +3
First 15 games: 7 points, +6

It'll be interesting to see if Karlsson considers extending in SJ, and what we do with Tierney (is he trade bait with White's development and Pageau coming back?)

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Tierney:

Demelo:

It'll be interesting to see if Karlsson considers extending in SJ, and what we do with Tierney (is he trade bait with White's development and Pageau coming back?)
Karlsson re-signing gets us a 2021 2nd so I'd be good with that. When Pageau gets back I think either Tierney or Pageau needs to be moved.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Personally I think EK needs to join an up and coming team that has a window that is just opening.

SJ’s window is about to close. I don’t see any reason why EK signs there unless he wants money over championships. However, will SJ offer the most money? He won’t know until he tests UFA at which point he’ll be able to pick the perfect situation for himself.

If he can find a way to fit in Pittsburg... Jesus... that’s what he should be looking at if he wants to challenge for the next several years.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Personally I think EK needs to join an up and coming team that has a window that is just opening.

SJ’s window is about to close. I don’t see any reason why EK signs there unless he wants money over championships. However, will SJ offer the most money? He won’t know until he tests UFA at which point he’ll be able to pick the perfect situation for himself.

If he can find a way to fit in Pittsburg... Jesus... that’s what he should be looking at if he wants to challenge for the next several years.

Don't let the Penguin fans see this post, they'll be upset at the missing h.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Tierney:

Demelo:

I think Tierney makes Smith even more expendable than he already was. Left handed center that can PK is just 24 and has lots more offensive potential and can play PP. Will be part of the rebuild imo.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I think Tierney makes Smith even more expendable than he already was. Left handed center that can PK is just 24 and has lots more offensive potential and can play PP. Will be part of the rebuild imo.

Tierney can pk but he’s not good at it. He’s got really bad defensive instincts.

Reactions: BondraTime

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think Duchene & White are fixed at centre now in Ottawa, but the other two centre positions are up in the air IMO with Tierny, Smith, Pageau, Chlapik & Brown all fighting for those spots. Chlapik & Brown are still about a yr away although I think they would like to see Chlapik in Ottawa at some point this yr, if he can get healthy. Troy Mann has raved about Chlapik being an NHL talent & should get called up at some point in the new yr.

I assume they will try & move on from Smith again leading up to the trade deadline but if they can't he has two more yrs on his contract. Pageau has another yr & could also get traded at some point next season depending on if one of the young guys look more promising. Tierny seems like he is in-between, not great offensively nor great defensively but decent at both but will Chlapik usurp him in the next yr or so? Brown was drafted as this team's future #1 centre but will he ever achieve that or even make the team on any line is anybodies guess. I think next yr that the centre position in Ottawa will have a lot more competition.

IMO Ottawa's future centres could be Brown, White, Chlapik/Norris & Paul.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Listening to a lot of SJ fans, they still have him 1st on their depth chart among defencemen - despite not being the Karlsson most Ottawa fans remember (from his prime/before major injuries).

I SO hope that he can regain his health and form, and yet again dominate the NHL - regardless of which team it is on.

bigfatfist

Apr 17, 2012
Karl is our guy to the end. He did so much for this team. I hope he signs wherever gives him the best chance to hoist a cup. I need to see that.

In a world where Melnyk doesn't exist, for sure we need to keep him. But Dorion's hands are tied and I'm not sure moving on wasn't the right move. No way SJ could get that return for him at this trade deadline. And if he signs somewhere for $11.5 mil and stays in this form, that looks like it would be a crippling contract for our cash starved team.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Listening to a lot of SJ fans, they still have him 1st on their depth chart among defencemen - despite not being the Karlsson most Ottawa fans remember (from his prime/before major injuries).

I SO hope that he can regain his health and form, and yet again dominate the NHL - regardless of which team it is on.

Watching him the last few games he’s played excellent. So I’m sure you’ll be seeing that again. If you can, tune into some Sharks games it’s a breath of fresh air compared to Ottawa games. A nice breather. Jones is starting to act like an NHL goalie again too.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Watching him the last few games he’s played excellent. So I’m sure you’ll be seeing that again. If you can, tune into some Sharks games it’s a breath of fresh air compared to Ottawa games. A nice breather. Jones is starting to act like an NHL goalie again too.

Why not stay for a while....

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Can we get one thing straight? Karlsson is back to dominating and controlling the ice like only he can. He's in Norris form.
Apparently we can’t get this thing straight. He is nowhere near his Norris form.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Why not stay for a while....

Too old to stay up that late. If you have time watching other teams I find is a good way to have perspective on how good or how bad the Sens do stuff compared to other teams with the use of the eye test anyway.

Did you like my serious answer to your cheeky comment? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad