Player Discussion Karlsson-vs-Panarin-vs-Seguin

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
EK is defensemens Crosby, why is this even a debate.

EK
Seguin
Panarin

It is a debate because we have a whole lot of money tied up in defensemen, there are questions whether EK's body can hold up past year 5, and the bulk of our prospect depth is on defense anyway. Don't take these as supporting arguments for NOT signing him at all, but rather factors that make it not so clear cut slam dunk obvious. I think it's quite close between the two. Personally, I'd put Seguin ahead by a hair.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Not sure I want Panarin, there is a reason Chicago got rid of him. Also he is soft and weak and not good defensively

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
In a hypothetical world where all three of these guys hit free agency and all are interested in signing with the Rangers, who would you want to sign the most?
And if you had the room for 2 of the 3, which two would you pick?

I'd take Panarin and Seguin

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
They didn't have capspace because they signed Toews to a brutal contract. And Panarin is outstanding defensively

saad and panarin both make $6 mil. it wasn't a salary dump. they just thought saad was a better fit

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
saad and panarin both make $6 mil. it wasn't a salary dump. they just thought saad was a better fit

Saad was a better fit because of his contract, not because of what he does on the ice. His 6m AAV deal runs 2 more year compared to Panarin, which means Chicago doesn't have to negotiate this season for an extension, for money they don't have (well, cap space).

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Seguin
Karlsson
Panarin

No telling just yet what Chytil will develop into. With that said, i think the C position would have more importance. I don't think Andersson will ever be a number 1 center. So Seguin here i would lean towards.

Karlsson @ RD would be amazing. Like the idea of him with Skjei up there on the left side. Really solid first pairing. If Seguin doesn't happen, this would be 2nd on my wishlist.

Panarin is a really fun player. Being that he wants to play in NY, or supposedly wants to play in NY i would imagine that this is the scenario most likely to play out. If...IF Panarin came to NY, who centers him? I would hate to see Kreider and Zbad on seperate lines. I love what these two bring to the table. Also don't like the idea of forcing a player to the off wing. Would hope that Chytil progresses and Panarin plays the left wall.

What really sucks is the club could have landed 2 of the 3 if the Girardi buyout didn't factor with Zucc, and one of Spooner or Hayes came off the books.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure I want Panarin, there is a reason Chicago got rid of him. Also he is soft and weak and not good defensively

It was a cap-related trade. Saad at 6m for 4 years instead of Panarin at 6m for 2 years. Now Chicago doesn't have to negotiate for a contract they can't afford and lose Panarin for pennies on the dollar.

There's your reason why Chicago got rid of him.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Saad was a better fit because of his contract, not because of what he does on the ice. His 6m AAV deal runs 2 more year compared to Panarin, which means Chicago doesn't have to negotiate this season for an extension, for money they don't have (well, cap space).

Saad was also a better fit because Toews didn’t have anyone he liked playing with.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
They didn't have capspace because they signed Toews to a brutal contract. And Panarin is outstanding defensively

Outstanding defensively? He doesn't even kill penalties. If they really thought highly of him they would have found cap space for him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Seguin most likely stays in Dallas

But we should be going all in on Karlsson and Panarin game breaking talents

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Outstanding defensively? He doesn't even kill penalties. If they really thought highly of him they would have found cap space for him.

You don't have to be great defensively to kill penalties. You usually don't want your best players doing this anyway.

They didn't move him because of their cap situation, they moved him because Toews and Kane missed their buddy.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Seguin is easily the player to go for over the other AINEC. RH shot #1 center that is going to be 27 and will score 30+ goals every year.

C'mon gang you win with strength down the middle. Seguin and some combo of the kids on ELC and Ziba locked up long term. That makes the Rangers a very, very dangerous team as soon as next season.

Where is all of this Seguin will probably stay in Dallas stuff coming from? Links? Quotes? Vetted sources? The kid is extremely competitive and if Dallas has another down year (they're a bubble team with that D unless Khubodin channels his inner Raanta) it basically becomes another situation like Tavares. He already has a Cup and has been an Allstar. To be the centerpiece of an original six team with basically the entire team on ELCs and just entering their prime?

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

First of all, he isn't bad defensively, but...

Panarin - 82 points
2nd (Jones) - 57 points
3rd (PLD) - 48 points

... I wouldn't give a f*** if he was bad defensively. Give him a lawn chair and a paperback for when the puck comes back to our end for all I care. He's clearly a premiere offensive force in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad