Player Discussion Karlsson-vs-Panarin-vs-Seguin

LBpuzzels

Feb 8, 2015
Long Island
In a hypothetical world where all three of these guys hit free agency and all are interested in signing with the Rangers, who would you want to sign the most?
And if you had the room for 2 of the 3, which two would you pick?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
latest

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Seguin probably. We haven't had a bonafide #1 center in quite a while. We've been lucky to have 1a's and 1b's, but have lacked that true "top 15ish center."

Karlsson is the real deal. He would be head and shoulders #1 pickup if it weren't for the fact that we have just so much gd money tied up in defensemen.

Panarin is exactly the kind of talent that can replace trading Zucc...albeit on the "wrong side." Again, just a detail that makes it more nuanced than a "no-brainer."

We could actually set up a scenario to make an earnest pitch to all three. If we can trade one of Staal/Smith with some salary retained (ADA can be added as a sweetener), trade 2 or more of Hayes, Zuccs, Names, and/or Spoons...then it wouldn't be impossible to attempt a homerun swing.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I'd imagine all three would want to sign with the Rangers in a package deal.

Seguin: I will sign for $100

Panarin: If you sign him to that, I'm willing to take $75 to accommodate.

Karlsson: I literally love the New York Rangers/JD and the Straight Shot and I HATE the NHLPA so I'll pay you for ice time.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Seguin
Karlsson

Panarin

If Karlsson were a couple years younger, it'd be him easily. 1C and 1D hold roughly the same value. The value for a W just isn't the same.

That being said, I'd be pitching a tent if we landed any of them.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I feel like the wheels are going to fall off on EK so he would definitely be my last choice.

Seguin
Panarin
EK

Seguin is a legitimate 1C which this team needs. Seguin, Hayes, Chytil, Ders/Howden would be a good start to the '20 season.

Panarin is a legitimate game breaking scoring threat on the wing. A guy we haven't had since Gabi had his phenom season years back. Panarin might be a little more dynamic too. That would transform the offense. Especially with the way our farm has been built on the back end, I could be comfortable with a defense by committee of 6 legitimate NHL talents with maybe 1 or 2 standouts and a dynamic/potent offense.

EK scares me. An EK 8+ year deal scares me more than the Scott Gomez and Chris Drury deals.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
This place loves to overrate and overestimate what older offensive dmen will do here. I feel it's inevitable EK will be a fairly sizeable disappointment just like
Wade redden
Dan boyle
Kevin shattenkirk so far
Keith handle
Idk if Tom poti counts or if the offensive expectations we had for Roszival counts.

We've had great success bringing in wingers and abysmal luck with 1c or former 1c

Gomez
Drury
Richards
E staal

Almost everytime this fanbase gets all hyped for what a player will do here. Then they fall faaar short. We'll see

Reactions: Off Sides

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Seguin - First line center, with other players falling in line around him.
Panarin - Incredibly underrated winger who gives us
Karlsson - Probably tops this list if I could shake my concerns about what type of player he is moving forward, namely in 3 years.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Whats the likelihood that Panarin gets dealt before the season begins and signs an long term deal with the Rangers?

What would it cost? Hayes? Zucc? + Prospects +?. Definitely think the Rangers would kick the tires there, but some of it may depend on Torts relationship/impression of each of those guys going the other way. Does Torts thinks their games fit into his system well enough? I don't think he likes Zucc a ton.

But Columbus is going to have to move Panarin or risk losing him for nothing. They could go all year with him and he'll be an impact player for them but then they'll have a really difficult decision to make once playoffs come around. If they are hot going in that would really suck for them.

Keep him and pull a NYI/Tavares nightmare scenario or move him to the highest bidder? Do it now and they might maximize his value a little more. Tough call!

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Seguin is a center that would allow for the other centers to play down the roster, possibly setting up favorable match-ups throughout the line-up

Panarin is a wing, I too think in the mold of what Gaborik, Nash, Zucc provided, yet if the rest of the team is not so good, not sure I see him being able to elevate the whole teams roster to another level.

Karlsson, I think has too many prior injury concerns for me to want to see that next contract on the Rangers.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I would say:

Karlsson
Seguion
Panarin

In that order. But this doesn't take into account what each player's contract will look like. That plays a role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->