Karlsson vs Hedman

Who will have the better season

• Total voters

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Hedman doesn’t need to share the wealth with a player nearly his equal (right now).

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I think EK will probably have the better season if for any reason due to having a much much better supporting cast in SJ than in Ottawa. I'm excited to see what he can do on a much stronger team overall. That said, if the question was who I would take for the Avs, my answer would be Hedman due to his better defensive play and because we already have quite a few offensive minded D (albeit not as good as EK but still pretty good).

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Ive been told EK would not score more than doughty on a better team as he has been benefiting on playing with awful teammates all this time. going to be interesting to see if he will manage 50 points or not this year.

Reactions: JFG

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Ive been told EK would not score more than doughty on a better team as he has been benefiting on playing with awful teammates all this time. going to be interesting to see if he will manage 50 points or not this year.

I'll take the under on that. How is he ever supposed to dish those sweet passes when he has to consider Burns' and Jumbo Joe's biblical beards? He never had to deal with anything like that in Ottawa.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

You were told...by your mind so you could pick an internet fight?

No one is under any delusion that Drew is scoring more than EK this year.

More likely what you were told is that EK's numbers will come down as there are only so many points to go around on great teams with great offenses.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
More likely what you were told is that EK's numbers will come down as there are only so many points to go around on great teams with great offenses.
Funny, you used this exact argument in reverse yesterday to claim that Hedman should have an easier time scoring than Doughty because he’s on a great team with a great offense.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Funny, you used this exact argument in reverse yesterday to claim that Hedman should have an easier time scoring than Doughty because he’s on a great team with a great offense.

That's not what I said. Don't misrepresent me, and no reason to bring that garbage here since you didn't have the guts or facts to properly address my claims in that thread either. You're overly simplifying our discussion of rates, deployment, as percentage of offense as if it was just "hurr tb scores more so hedman should score more." I was only pointing out your false claim that Hedman had a head-and-shoulders better offensive season than Doughty...but it was only a 3 point difference despite major differences in usage and team situations.

My point as it relates to THIS thread is that all the offense (especially from the defense) in Ottawa was funneled through Karlsson; that will not be the case in San Jose where they also have Burns in addition to other weapons like Thornton to create plays. Some people like to say this will get Karlsson to 90 points, but I think it's more likely that both guys settle down around 70. That's still stellar/elite, it's just that on teams that score in the neighborhood of 300 goals versus the teams that are scoring 200, it usually signals depth of offense rather than one guy getting 150 points. I think he'll be a better all-around player, but his points will drop slightly.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I love Hedman, but when Karlsson plays at his real level (IE: injury-free etc.) there is not a defenceman alive that can come even close.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Except that it is overall.

While it is commendable to defend the players on your team (even for a week), he most certainly is not!

I always would take Doughty first and at this point likely Hedman as well. Others are close as well.

Offensively, there is a point to be made.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
While it is commendable to defend the players on your team (even for a week), he most certainly is not!

I always would take Doughty first and at this point likely Hedman as well. Others are close as well.

Offensively, there is a point to be made.

TBF, you also probably think Adam McQuaid is better defensively than Karlsson.

Karlsson's offense is a big part of his defense. And I don't mean point production, I mean he totally dictates the game and possession when he's out there unlike anyother defenseman. And here's where we get into the big blur that is what is offense vs defense.

The Unit

Sep 27, 2018
Edmonton
Karlsson should be able wrack up the second assists this season running the point on the powerplay with Burns. Also him possibly getting paired with Vlasic during even strength play one would hope he would be a plus player this season.

Reactions: Weast

Weast

May 16, 2011
Karlsson should be able wrack up the second assists this season running the point on the powerplay with Burns. Also him possibly getting paired with Vlasic during even strength play one would hope he would be a plus player this season.
Ah yes plus/minus, the greatest stat of all time.

Reactions: The Unit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad