Karlsson vs Hedman

who do you take

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Would have said Karlsson for sure going into the year, but he's looked rough returning from injury and you have to wonder if all the injuries are going to add up. Tough call now. I would probably still take a chance on Karlsson, but ask tomorrow and I might say Hedman.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Karlsson was never a great defender, he'd always pinch and when he got beat he could just catch up and steal the puck, now he's lost that next gear and can't play the same way.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Offensively
Karlsson>Hedman

Defensively
Hedman>>Karlsson

I take Hedman quite easily here. dude can get 70pts and shutdown the other teams top forwards? yikes

Hedman passes the puck to Kucherov, Stamkos, Point etc Karlsson passes it to Stone, Hoffman etc. Points is such a ridiculous way to gauge offense, especially when you ignore context.

Karlsson has been awful by his standards yet is still out scoring every other defender in the NHL on a per game basis.

Karlsson the previous 2 years was absolutely insane.

In 2015/2016 he was the first defender to lead the NHL in assists since Bobby Orr

Last year he carried a mediocre team to game 7 OT of the conference finals againsf the eventual champs.

That’s a generational dman.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I like Karlsson, but would take Hedman

6’6” Physical Shut down dmen with offensive capabilities are hard to come by.

That being said, Karlsson is by far the best offensive Dman in the league, which makes the decision more difficult.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Last season Hedman had 72 points in 79 games when the only real offensive threat we had was Kucherov. The next closest D was Stralman with 20 points. The idea that he gets points because the Lightning are an offensive juggernaut is laughable.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I'm no fan of Karlsson in the d-zone, but I don't see Hedman being a shut down defender either and don't think his slight defensive advantage makes up for Karlsson's offensive advantage.
Going Karlsson here.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
For those who are not aware, EK is coming off injury/surgery. Since Jan 1 Karlsson is #1 in the NHL in D scoring with 29p in 32gp.​

Over that stretch he is -6. (Consider the team he is on and the fact that many of those games were played with waiver fodder Oduya as his partner)

He is rounding back to form.

Hedman is truly outstanding and this is a decent comparison.

Still, betting against Karlsson is a fool's wager.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm no fan of Karlsson in the d-zone, but I don't see Hedman being a shut down defender either and don't think his slight defensive advantage makes up for Karlsson's offensive advantage.
Going Karlsson here.
Lol.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Same contracts as now I take Hedman. But disregarding contracts, I take Karlsson very very easily.

Edit: awks I misread. If they have the exact same contract I take Karlsson no question.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I would take Karlsson if he can return to form but Hedman is honestly hands down the next best defenseman and does not benefit from the team around him to the extent some believe, I would argue if anything it's the other way around.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Last season Hedman had 72 points in 79 games when the only real offensive threat we had was Kucherov. The next closest D was Stralman with 20 points. The idea that he gets points because the Lightning are an offensive juggernaut is laughable.

And it was by far his best offensive year and this year he's 5th on the team in scoring. Karlsson regularly leads his team in scoring and a down year for Karlsson is not getting 70 points. Hedman is elite offensively for sure, and isn't just riding his forwards' coattails by any means, but Karlsson is still on another level offensively

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hedman passes the puck to Kucherov, Stamkos, Point etc Karlsson passes it to Stone, Hoffman etc. Points is such a ridiculous way to gauge offense, especially when you ignore context.

Karlsson has been awful by his standards yet is still out scoring every other defender in the NHL on a per game basis.

Karlsson the previous 2 years was absolutely insane.

In 2015/2016 he was the first defender to lead the NHL in assists since Bobby Orr

Last year he carried a mediocre team to game 7 OT of the conference finals againsf the eventual champs.

That’s a generational dman.

Hedmam had 70+ without Stamkos or a broken out Point.

So you're just wrong.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
I love them both and think a franchise couldn't go wrong with either one. But I think Karlsson has a lot higher ceiling when he is healthy and going strong. Clearly visible in the WHC with both of them on the same team, Hedman is solid everywhere but Karlsson makes up for the few weaknesses in his game by having a higher level of control of the entire ice when he is on. Carries team sweden every time he plays in a way very few other players have done before

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
hedman. don't want another colossal headcase in his own zone after seeing gardiner carrick polak zaitsev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad