Karlsson vs Burns

Who’s the better player?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Karlsson is the best d-man in the world

Well he wasn't last year and isn't this year either as it's hard to be the best Dman when you aren't playing.

Karlsson missed 11 games and won't be a Norris finalist, Burns will be.

Burns was 8th last year, Karlsson was 12

In 16-17 Burns won the Norris and Karlsson was 2nd

that's a pretty good indication of the last 3 years, right?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Well he wasn't last year and isn't this year either as it's hard to be the best Dman when you aren't playing.

Karlsson missed 11 games and won't be a Norris finalist, Burns will be.

Burns was 8th last year, Karlsson was 12

In 16-17 Burns won the Norris and Karlsson was 2nd

that's a pretty good indication of the last 3 years, right?

Last 3 years? What about the 2017 playoffs? (If you don’t agree EK was better than Burns pre injury all in all). For the record, looking at Norris voting in retrospect is one of the very worst ways of evaluating who was indeed the better player.

Nashology

Dec 21, 2006
It is really hard to tell at times. Obviously EK when playing, is probably the top guy in the world. Burns though runs San Jose's offense so fluidly though.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Last 3 years? What about the 2017 playoffs?

Not sure if that is enough games or a large enough sample to override the edge Burns has here.

I mean it was just 19 games.

It is the most impressive 19 games of his career to be sure but then go back the year before and Burns shines in the playoffs, gotta sleep on that.

How do we treat the Sens only making the playoffs that 1 year and Sharks both years so far, maybe this year will tell.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Not sure if that is enough games or a large enough sample to override the edge Burns has here.

I mean it was just 19 games.

I don’t think there is an edge to begin with and most people agree, see poll result

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don’t think there is an edge to begin with and most people agree, see poll result

The thing is that you left it as an extremely open question a more definitive one, like this season or career or last 3,4,5 years heck any definition would make it easier to answer, right?

I mean you have 28 votes and 4 guys actually trying to give it any context.

We know how HF boards treat Karlsson without context.

This season Burns has had more value.

Last season it was Burns.

16-17 Karlsson but not sure how large the gap is, certainly not more than the next 2 years.

15-16 Karlsson is 2nd in Norris voting and Burns 3rd.

Although in voting Eric is closer to 1st than 3rd, Burns has 27 goals and is only 5 points behind Karlsson in points and he has a excellent playoffs as well.

I can see the argument going either way if we combine 15-16 and 16-17, maybe a slight lead to Karlsson.

But Burns has a much larger lead last year and this year.

Agree or disagree at least there is something to quantify my choice.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Both play for my team so I could not be more happier about that but Burns has been better last 3 years but in the future it is more than likely that Karlsson will be better because of age gap. I think Karlsson is more subtle and mastermind in hockey but Burns has the ability to take over a whole game like no one else.
Also how about 2016 playoffs for Burns. 24 points on 24 games and also I think he was 2nd in +/- right behind Vlasic.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Karlsson has always been better, and will continue to be so. Tough start to the year, but he's still the best D in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad