Friedman: Karlsson trade talks picking up, Vancouver interested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You've got serious issues if that's the way you think. Pretty odd complex you have going on for someone who's too lazy to back up what they say with any evidence for validity.

Hope things turn around for you.
The only opinions that matter are the people actually negotiating the deal, not posters on an internet forum who take themselves far too seriously.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
No, that is not true. Karlsson has a NMC for 10 teams. No more no less. Any other team he can be traded to.
Ottawa is probably 9 of them. Florida for Hoffman would be the 10th.

For one year, I think he'd put up with just about anywhere to get outta dodge.

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
No, that is not true. Karlsson has a NMC for 10 teams. No more no less. Any other team he can be traded to.
True, but he can refuse to negotiate an extension with any team, and an extended Karlsson is going to be worth a heck of a lot more than a rental.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
True, but he can refuse to negotiate an extension with any team, and an extended Karlsson is going to be worth a heck of a lot more than a rental.
Bingo!
EK 100% controls where he goes. I don’t see why the Leafs don’t step up here? Nylander plus Liljegren, plus 2019 first should be enough to get EK (extended, of course)

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Bingo!
EK 100% controls where he goes. I don’t see why the Leafs don’t step up here? Nylander plus Liljegren, plus 2019 first should be enough to get EK (extended, of course)
I'd do that if there was someway to offset Zaitsev in the deal for salary purposes.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'd do that if there was someway to offset Zaitsev in the deal for salary purposes.
I think Ottawa would be insane not to take such a deal. If they keep holding on to EK, his value is only going to drop e en more. Heck, what if he hurts his ankle early in the season? Then he becomes worthless!

Reactions: JuniorNelson

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I think Ottawa would be insane not to take such a deal. If they keep holding on to EK, his value is only going to drop e en more. Heck, what if he hurts his ankle early in the season? Then he becomes worthless!
Tbh as a Leafs fan, seeing Bolts fans not want to include Point or MS or Oilers fans not wanting to include LD, making the deal as Nylander + Liljegren + 1st makes me think we're overpaying considering I doubt another team would be willing to top that offer or come close.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
If Honka is so good, then the Stars should trade Heiskanen for Karlsson and let Honka be their future D anchor.
LMAO what kind of backwards logic is that. Prove to me that Honka is good by trading me another prospect who can independently be just as good if not better.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tbh as a Leafs fan, seeing Bolts fans not want to include Point or MS or Oilers fans not wanting to include LD, making the deal as Nylander + Liljegren + 1st makes me think we're overpaying considering I doubt another team would be willing to top that offer or come close.
I don’t disagree. Maybe the Sens are (kind of) hooped?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I don’t disagree. Maybe the Sens are (kind of) hooped?
For a signed Karlsson I'd be willing to go Nylander + 1st + Zaitsev.

Rielly-Karlsson
Dermott-Hainsey
Borgman-Liljegren

The skating ability of that top pair would be incredible to watch

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Asking because I don't know. Is Karlsson expected to attend training camp? Is there any info on this?

My personal suspicion is that he would sit.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
For a signed Karlsson I'd be willing to go Nylander + 1st + Zaitsev.

Rielly-Karlsson
Dermott-Hainsey
Borgman-Liljegren

The skating ability of that top pair would be incredible to watch
Zaitsev is in there for cap reasons. Leafs fans have made better offers for Trouba. This isn't likely to be enough.

Reactions: Pure

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
What's this guy worth if he's hating it? Unhappy employees are disruptive even if they mouth platitudes publicly. Even if this guy gives his everything, he is still a man apart.

Any dude on a one year deal is worth one season of play, in market terms. Read this thread to understand Ottawa's problem. Fans expect the return a signed for eight years guy would get. Or more. Hahaha! Poor bastards. I remember the Kesler trade. It was like making friends with a cell mate.

Karlsson has his team backed into a corner. He seems to be playing it so they get nothing. He has no value now, except what he allows. Duh! If he wanted to, he could opt for season ending elective surgery right before camp. What is Ottawa going to do? Beg? I think that time passed.

Ottawa may be trying to get a bid war going but they haven't taken the obligatory step of re-signing the asset. Realistic offers probably make them cry. I know posters become butthurt. This is what happens when you sour a player. Kesler went sour and stood over Vancouver like a tougher cell mate.

Edler and a third rounder.

Sorry about your feels. :snide:

By the way, the only nice thing about Ottawa is Hull.:razz:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nobody is going to pay Ottawa's price for one year of Erik Karlsson. So it's going to have to be a 'trade and sign' or a 'sign and trade' deal. Sens are over a barrel. But if recent history holds true, Karlsson will play out the season in the Canadian capital, and then either get dealt at the trade deadline for the equivalent of 'table scraps' or walk on July 1st as a UFA for nothing.

It's a mess in Ottawa, and they don't even hold a first-round pick in 2019 as compensation. So if they fail to even get a first-rounder back for Karlsson, the fan base could be in open revolt.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Three way trade:

Tampa sends a cap dump to Vegas for Jake Leschyshyn, then Tampa sends him and Cal Foote for Erik Karlson.

With Wolanin Ottawa gets a half it's D corp made up of sons on members of the 1996 Stanley Cup Colorado Avalanche.:sarcasm:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Asking because I don't know. Is Karlsson expected to attend training camp? Is there any info on this?

My personal suspicion is that he would sit.

He will attend. For what reason would he holdout? He is still under contract for the 2018/2019 season and from no accounts has even requested a trade. The issue is the two sides don’t see eye to eye on some issues moving forward and it hasn’t resulted in a contract extension. The relationship between the two sides isn’t near the point of a veteran player sitting out training camp.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
With Hanzal being injured that will be tough to swallow but ultimately I say yes. I do think you guys will try to incorporate Oettinger in the deal though. Rumor was you guys wanted to draft him.

Seeing as they just acquired a goaltending prospect they seem to be high on, I’m not sure they will push at all for Oettinger

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I am by no means a Senators expert, but here is what I would do in their shoes;

Put a deadline on trading Karlsson for example the start of training camp. Any of the 21 teams not on his list can put in an offer and he goes for the package that they like the best. It doesn’t seem like at this point they will get any of Sergachev, Heiskanen, or Glass, but doesn’t mean they still can’t get a good haul of futures.

After that do the same for Stone and Duchene if they don’t want to re-sign. Once again it’s unlikely they will get a huge piece, but the return will be better now then at the deadline. They will have 3 1st round picks and with the parity in the NHL and the lottery those picks could be anywhere from 1-31. Even if the picks are lottery protected (there might be bold teams willing to do no protection) they will get an unprotected 1st the following year.

That’s my take. I know it means that Ottawa would finish bottom five and might gift Jake Hughes to Colorado, but the pick is gone doesn’t matter who it ends up being. Rip off the bandaid and start it. Ottawa already has a good group of under 23 players, maximizing the return on these three would be huge.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I am by no means a Senators expert, but here is what I would do in their shoes;

Put a deadline on trading Karlsson for example the start of training camp. Any of the 21 teams not on his list can put in an offer
20 teams unless they are allowed to trade EK to themselves...

Terrible advice, but it could benefit the Stars so I understand why you like the idea.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
20 teams unless they are allowed to trade EK to themselves...

Terrible advice, but it could benefit the Stars so I understand why you like the idea.

Yeah the only reason I wrote that out was to benifit the Stars. Jeez your a bitter person.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Three way trade:

Tampa sends a cap dump to Vegas for Jake Leschyshyn, then Tampa sends him and Cal Foote for Erik Karlson.

With Wolanin Ottawa gets a half it's D corp made up of sons on members of the 1996 Stanley Cup Colorado Avalanche.:sarcasm:
I guess I would be interested. :laugh:

If it were that easy, it wouldn't take this long. Also I doubt Vegas would be involved only to take on a shitty contract. They want Karlsson themselves, and rightfully so.

Vegas may be more aggressive in their pursuit for him now that Schmidt is out 20 games.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
J.R. and the Todd White on TSN1200 were really pushing Heiskanen as one of the only viable options.
Dallas needs to say no to this, a cost-controlled asset that will likely be a #1 D for decades to come is a little much for one year of an elite defender.
Still think he's walking without being traded. If the Senators are close to a playoff spot :laugh: in February they won't trade him. If they're tanking :help: they will get a reduced price or might have to keep him just to sell seats.

What a mess...

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I'm probably gonna get $h!t on for this but isnt it a bit risky for Karlsson to sign long term in Vegas?

Assuming he wants to go somewhere with the best window to win it all, Vegas seems like a bit of a gamble (no pun intended) for that. I know they run a great system and had a magical year, but they can just as easily fall back into the middle of the pack next year and for the foreseeable future. Nothing is a given with that team because they aren't built like typical annual contenders with multiple top flight vets.

I would think that if winning a cup is a top priority for where he wants to sign long term, that a team like Tampa is built more for that with a bunch of very good players around his age range. He would fit right in with their window.

I know Vegas can very well be contenders again next year, but theres something there that seems like they can take a step back more towards where we all thought they would be for a while. If that's the case, maybe EK doesnt want to sign long term with a team that's not quite ready.

Flame away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad