News Article: Karlsson Suspended

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/12/13...-for-throwing-stick-at-ref-after-jokerit-loss

If Erik Karlsson does go back to Finland, he can show up a little late.

Playing for Jokerit in the SM-Liiga during the lockout, the Senators defenceman received a one-game suspension for throwing his stick at a referee after a 4-2 loss to TPS Turku on Dec. 8 — Karlsson’s final game for the club before a break in the schedule.

Watching the video, it was more of an easy slide than a throw.

Karlsson, who had 12 penalty minutes and an assist in the game, was standing near his blue line as the teams gathered for the post-buzzer ceremony. He bent slightly and pushed his stick gently along the ice to where the officials were standing along the boards, about 30 feet away. It had lost most, if not all of its momentum by the time it arrived at the refs feet.

Karlsson took a flight to Ottawa Sunday and intends to return to Finland if the NHL lockout remains unsettled.

In 27 games for the league-leading Helsinki team, the Norris Trophy winner has seven goals, 24 points and 24 PIMs.

Sorry for quoting a Don Brennan article. What is with EK's attitude problem? Big contract so now he can do whatever he wants? Why throw a stick at the ref...why not go over there and argue it out like a man?

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Frustration + thoughts of lockout ending?

No need to be mad.

Also, he is getting none of his "big contract."

Mains dream team: Players no one cares about, Benoit, Cannone etc.

General Granny*

LOL frustrated at the referee is now an attitude problem. Let's get another European single out again, Lehner, Petersson and now Kalrsson.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Frustration + thoughts of lockout ending?

No need to be mad.

Also, he is getting none of his "big contract."

Mains dream team: Players no one cares about, Benoit, Cannone etc.

Lol it's so true.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
obviously letting lowly referees touch his stick was not a sign of hostility, but it was a benevolent act from the son of god.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
So a one game suspension for giving the refs a GAME USED STICK? Lol i would figure he would be commended for this! Perhaps trying to start a new tradition in hockey similar to that of soccer players exchanging jerseys, perhaps a stick for a whistle in this case???

corksens

Jul 19, 2005
That's maybe one of the most passive aggressive moves I've seen a hockey player make.

What a non-story.

Now, if he smashed a ref in the face I'd be seriously concerned.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
That's maybe one of the most passive aggressive moves I've seen a hockey player make.

What a non-story.

Now, if he smashed a ref in the face I'd be seriously concerned.

Yeah when the event first happened the story was reported like "Erik Karlsson angry after game and throws stick at ref!". I looked at the video and saw him float it across the ice and was like wtf that is much less impressive.

peter67

Oct 16, 2012
Nepean
Did I read this right? Karlsson has 24 PIMs this year -- 12 PIMs in the last game!! Sounds like the ref had it in for him.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I have to admit I laughed the way he random throws the stick with a everyone on the ice during the handshake. He just gently slid it to the refs, if I was a ref, I'd love a free Karlsson hockey stick.

If it wasn't a ref, Karlsson would have taken a baseball swing at a player, you don't make Karlsson angry.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
This guy is going to be a locker room cancer with that kind of attitude. Better to trade him now while his value is at its highest.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
The IIHF needs to get involved here and institute a worldwide ban. EK can't be doing stuff like that!!!

He could have chipped the ice.

He could have had a ref's blade grazed by his stick resulting in a mandatory sharpening before the next game.

And let's not forget the stick boy. He now has to ask the refs for that stick.

A suspension may not be enough. A long drawn out legal and civil case, the likes of which we've not seen since the Bertuzzi incident, may be in the offing for the now disgraced Norris Trophy winner.

Dark times ahead for young Erik.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Wow that's worth a suspension and all this talk about attitude problems?

I mean it's not like he threw it into the stands...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad