Confirmed with Link: Karlsson re-signs 5.25m

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
This is very good for the Knights, since one season contract guarantees another strong season from him with moderate cap hit.

It's bit of a spit to the face though... making less than Tatar.. but shouldn't be a problem in the long run, unless WK decides he really wants out after the next season.

Reactions: Fixxer

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I like it. Good for both parties.

Gexcited.gif

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
This is very good for the Knights, since one season contract guarantees another strong season from him with moderate cap hit.

It's bit of a spit to the face though... making less than Tatar.. but shouldn't be a problem in the long run, unless WK decides he really wants out after the next season.

A player under RFA cannot compare his pay to someone who signed a deal as a UFA. These guys all get that.

Reactions: Morrison

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If his ask was really only 6.5, I would have loved giving him 6×4-5 and if he keeps it up then the team would feel bad not doing that. I can't really see many ways he isn't worth at least 6M the next five years.

Reactions: Pirate Deadpool

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
McPhee did awesome here!

I feared a huge longterm contract at 6m range for 6ish years, which would be in line with other signings leaguewide.

One year?? Karlsson says he is betting on himself and indeed the risk is all his! If he gets injured he will be in a poor negotiating position and will sign for less than the moon. If his production drops, it will reduce the amount he can demand... only if he repeats that one sensational season will he get bigtime money. So, expect him to play like every game is a playoff game.

The deal is a deal for the franchise, not the player.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Congrats to Will and to VGK. I am even more a fan of this kid now, if that is possible. Love what he is about, and would have tried to get him long term now, but hope he has another huge year and when that happens it's gonna be time to pony up the diniero for a young man who truly deserves it.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If his ask was really only 6.5, I would have loved giving him 6×4-5 and if he keeps it up then the team would feel bad not doing that. I can't really see many ways he isn't worth at least 6M the next five years.

I think this contract will be a huge mistake. I hope Wild Bill scores 35+ goals and gets 7 to 8 million from some team. I hope he gets extended before February on a long term deal, but if he leaves, I'll wish him well. It would be a major mistake by GMGM if this happens.

Reactions: Fixxer

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I think this contract will be a huge mistake. I hope Wild Bill scores 35+ goals and gets 7 to 8 million from some team. I hope he gets extended before February on a long term deal, but if he leaves, I'll wish him well. It would be a major mistake by GMGM if this happens.

Pretty much everyone expects him to drop to <30 goals and still have a "great" season. If you are not a VGK fan, it's easy to see why everyone expects this. The truth is most mainstream hockey media, fantasy ratings and ordinary stats don't really give a clue on how good VGK 1st line really is... It doesn't help that the management and coaching like to keep it "low" and even underline that we have no superstars in the team.

The statistics don't lie in this case.. The March-Karlsson-Smith line isn't just good, it's was the top line in the whole f-ing league ! WK had magical season, but he also knows that most of that magic is thanks to this incredible line. Possible cup win in few years, playing as a star in the best line in NHL? I think we can count him in. He already gave discount, and I think the next contract will also be a bargain to VGK no matter what happens.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
He's still a Golden Knight after this one year contract.

If they don't re-sign/extend next season, there's at least one more season we'll have and we can trade him or take a shot at an extension.

Everything will be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->