Karlsson, Miller, Nosek file for arbitration

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

3 of 44 players that did.

Last year Schmidt was the only player who actually got arbitration award.

As these three filed, VGK gets to select term of award, one or two years, max until player eligible for UFA status.

This does not preclude negotiations of longer term meanwhile.

Good news includes that there won't be a hold out (there will be a contract before the season), and other teams cannot submit offer sheet.

Bad news is that process can really muck up relationships.

(DYAC on phone!)

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

3 of 44 players that did.

Last year Schmidt was the only player who actually got arbitration award.

As these three filed, VGK gets to select term of award, one or two years, max until player eligible for UFA status.

This does not preclude negotiations of longer term meanwhile.

Good news includes that there won't be a hold out (there will be a contract before the season), and other teams cannot submit offer sheet.

Bad news is that process can really much up relationships.

So that means Theodore and Carrier didn't file for it? Or do they not have those rights yet, I always forget who is how old, etc.

Carrier seems to want to be back on a reasonable deal. Theodore will seemingly be a bit of a negotiation.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
So that means Theodore and Carrier didn't file for it? Or do they not have those rights yet, I always forget who is how old, etc.

Carrier seems to want to be back on a reasonable deal. Theodore will seemingly be a bit of a negotiation.
All our guys that were eligible did.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Vegas Golden Knights - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Cap Friendly indicates arbitration rights. Those three do have it. Carrier, Theodore do not.

However, the three AHLers Pulkkinen, Dansk and Holm do have arbitration rights but did not file. (Which means that GMGM **could** file from team-directed arbitration. But player/agent get to select term.)

I don't recall if I've seen the "walk away $$" (the award level that teams can walk away from if at or above; but rights maintained in that if/when player negotiates deal, team can match at up to 85% of arbitration award).

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Yikes, arbitrations can get ugly, hopefully at least Karlsson and Miller agree to a deal before the start of arbitration.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Teams and players can negotiate (something other than arbitration award) up until award is announced.

So, there can be on going negotiations before scheduled hearing, before hearing and even after hearing.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Very few players actually make it to arbitration since most of this is easy to figure out.

The only player out of the entire league to go to arbitration last year was Nate Schmidt, which kind of made sense. However, I'm a little nervous as a fan of the team of taking guys through the enitre arbitration process. It's not super pretty, and we don't want to be known as the team that doesn't pay players. Though, Reaves should counteract some of that.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I thought Nate was the only player who received arbitration award. (A few others got new deals before the award was published and rest settled before hearing.)

:dunno:

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Nosek 7/30
Karlsson 8/4 (last day)

In Toronto

The best saved for the last. I still think this is going to be more of a bomb than what everyone here has thought. I sort of hope to see the verdict on this case, just to find out how crazy the verdict can go.

Hellebuyck, ConnorPlayer-Settlement prior to hearing1 year at $2,250,0006 years at $6,166,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"
The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases includes:
  • The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons
  • Injuries, illnesses, and the number of games played
  • The player's length of service with the team and in the NHL
  • The player's "overall contribution" to the team's success or failure
  • The player's "special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The performance and salary of any player believed to be comparable to the player in the dispute
"

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
The best saved for the last. I still think this is going to be more of a bomb than what everyone here has thought. I sort of hope to see the verdict on this case, just to find out how crazy the verdict can go.

Hellebuyck, ConnorPlayer-Settlement prior to hearing1 year at $2,250,0006 years at $6,166,667
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"
The evidence that can be used in arbitration cases includes:
  • The player's "overall performance" including statistics in all previous seasons
  • Injuries, illnesses, and the number of games played
  • The player's length of service with the team and in the NHL
  • The player's "overall contribution" to the team's success or failure
  • The player's "special qualities of leadership or public appeal"
  • The performance and salary of any player believed to be comparable to the player in the dispute
"

Jets are going to hate that contract eventually, streaky goalie who just seems middle of the road over the long run to me.

Those terms with Wild Bill would be more than agreeable, maybe up to $6.5m for 6 years would be ok. Gladly pay that for a 1C, never would want to do that for a goalie unless you have seen extended consistent performance.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Nobody knows how to properly pay goalies so that Hellebuyck contract really isn't comparable at all.

But I would absolutely give Wild Bill 6x6 or 6.5x6, if I were Vegas.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

So could be similar result for Wild Bill.

Positions haven't been revealed yet. Usually a day or two before hearing.

I'm actually hoping for high verdict. It's actually useful to have shorter contract to see if he can do again what he just did... Very high decision is no problem, and might even benefit us, since we wouldn't want to have any longer term issues coming from this. Not with a player this important.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I'm actually hoping for high verdict. It's actually useful to have shorter contract to see if he can do again what he just did... Very high decision is no problem, and might even benefit us, since we wouldn't want to have any longer term issues coming from this. Not with a player this important.

2-year deal just like Schmidt.
Long-term extension next summer.
Extension kicks in after Eakin comes off the books.
Glass replaces Eakin.
Eakin's salary becomes Bill's raise.

That's my hope.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Golden Knights, William Karlsson present all-time interesting contract negotiation
Never in the history of the NHL had a skater failed to hit double-digit goals in two full seasons (Karlsson logged 81 games each of his two final years as a Blue Jacket) before going on to score 40-plus. Never.

The critical, logical observer would point out Karlsson's shooting percentage. In those first three seasons of producing at a mediocre level, Karlsson scored in 7.7 percent of his shots. And then came his trip to Vegas, where everything he touched turned to gold — and the shooting percentage skyrocketed to a staggering 23.4. For any skater last season who took at least 150 shots, it was by far the highest mark, which certainly raises a red flag. It was the highest shooting percentage in a 40-goal season for any skater since 2005.

These are items that should definitely give a team pause when they're at the negotiating table. Over the past two seasons, 12 players have scored 30 or more goals in each year, and no player has multiple 40-goal seasons. It's really hard to score at that level consistently in this league, even for the game's most talented players, and the Golden Knights need to legitimately ask themselves if Karlsson is a part of that group. And if not, how far removed from that tier of talent is he?

With apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein:

How do you solve a problem like Bill's contract?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
How do you find a term that recompenses?
A year or two or eight or three or four?
Many a dollars you know you'd like to pay him
Below the cap ceiling, he ought to understand
But how do you make him stay
To agree with all you say
How do you keep a wave upon the sand
Oh, how do you solve a problem like Bill's contract?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Golden Knights, William Karlsson present all-time interesting contract negotiation

With apologies to Rogers and Hammerstein:

How do you solve a problem like Bill's contract?
How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
How do you find a term that recompenses?
A year or two or eight or three or four?
Many a dollars you know you'd like to pay him
Below the cap ceiling, he ought to understand
But how do you make him stay
To agree with all you say
How do you keep a wave upon the sand
Oh, how do you solve a problem like Bill's contract?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?

I'm sure the arbitration will get it solved, I'm not a poet, but so I've been told.

Bit concerning here is that because of the success the value of most of our players has rocketed.. I think I said in the playoffs that I hope they do well, but I hope they wouldn't win in the first season, because the rise in the value of players could rise and cause severe cap problems in the near future. Looks like we didn't win but the players still gained a bit too much in value :(

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The issue in part is that NO ONE in the history of the NHL has gone from less than 10 goals/season to 40+ in his third.

Is this an aberration? Is this the beginning of a trend?
Do you pay for past performance? Future expectations (are what exactly?)?

Reactions: Aurinko

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'm sure the arbitration will get it solved, I'm not a poet, but so I've been told.

Bit concerning here is that because of the success the value of most of our players has rocketed.. I think I said in the playoffs that I hope they do well, but I hope they wouldn't win in the first season, because the rise in the value of players could rise and cause severe cap problems in the near future. Looks like we didn't win but the players still gained a bit too much in value :(

What exactly did you expect? And really not wanting to win to keep players value down??? What kind of fan are you?

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
What exactly did you expect? And really not wanting to win to keep players value down??? What kind of fan are you?

The plan was to get a good team and win the cup in 5 years.. In the long run you want to see a good team playing exciting hockey, not ending up with extremely overpriced players and an underachieving team. Following hockey since the 80's I've seen fans losing interest after their team wins the league. I just want exciting hockey, I don't care about a single year, that kind of fan I am. I want to see good hockey, not just party with the mascots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad