Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part III | MOD Warning Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
needing to surround EK with more talent is often cited as a failure.

we were a goal away from the SF two years ago. We added talent at the TDL that year . Our GM was nominated for GM of the year. buT as the stats show until you have those elite players it likely ain't happening.

anyway I'm done with this discussion. it wasn't originally with you and I don't feel the need to engage in your wanting to be right.
Its funny because to you adding 4th liners in wingels stalberg and burrows is adding talent. Not sure but i think there is something between HOF talent and 4th liners. We needed more scoring punch and an upgrade on the backend to take pressure off Karlsson so we got a healthy scratch a fourth line winger and the corpse of Burrows extended two more years. Maybe you are right, we aren't going to see eye to eye on this, better to move on.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So Karlsson wants to stay in Ottawa but doesn't like the situation.

That is how I figured he'd feel but I assumed the team would acquiesce to his request of better support.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Seems like the best option for both sides - Karlsson and Melnyk - would be to sit down, work through their issues and try to save the working relationship. Everybody stands to benefit.

Need some sort sort of 'Sens Summit' to happen.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Perhaps #65 knows more about potential future ownership than any of us? Friedchicken makes it sound like the deals weren't close and we also heard rumours that EK wasn't looking to sign an extension with anyone.

As I have maintained in my posts, Karlsson's on the driver's seat. He can choose to stay or go where he pleases. Hope he stays.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
That Mark Stone tidbit is super interesting... Vegas really wants him???

They can have Zack Smith. He will fit the band of misfits who were left open in the expansion draft. I can genuinely see him succeed in Vegas. Too bad they have re-signed Ryan Reaves to a Chris Neil deal.

Can't see Stone going whether EK leaves or not. Dorion needs to make the cap floor and he is a cornerstone. :naughty:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
One of the reasons I believe this situation has dragged on for as long as it has is it's a matter of pride for EK now...I don't think he wants to be paid any less than Drew Doughty (especially after Due's comments last season), and from Friedman's report it seems neither the potential trade partners nor Ottawa is prepared to sign him for 11 x 8.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
needing to surround EK with more talent is often cited as a failure.

we were a goal away from the SF two years ago. We added talent at the TDL that year . Our GM was nominated for GM of the year. buT as the stats show until you have those elite players it likely ain't happening.

anyway I'm done with this discussion. it wasn't originally with you and I don't feel the need to engage in your wanting to be right.
Yes, it is a total failure. Also, how do you go from saying we won’t win a cup because of lack of talented player previous cup winner had to praising Dorion for adding ‘talent’ like Burrows? Seems like you’re move the goals posts a bit.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Melnyk has to losen the purse strings .. sign Karlsson, Stone, Duchene and let the Sens resemble an NHL team that he apparently wants to own.

Karlsson 11.2 million with 20 million in bonus $ in the first 3 years.
Stone 7.5-7.75 x 8
Duchene 7.5-7.75 x 8

Ceci .. under 4.5 ok ... over trade him.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Kind of a chicken or the egg problem, no? They don't want to come because they know we won't fill the holes to make the team competitive. Start showing that we will commit to competing and guys will want to be here instead of needing to be paid more to be here. We may never get the same team friendly deals as teams with no state tax but at least we won't have the players impose a bottom feeder tax on us.

That's totally fair. I was looking at it more from the view of a player who is looking at where he can go play and what kind of contract he can get. To me there's some amount of logic at looking at the gaping hole on the roster for someone to be Karlsson's partner and thinking to yourself "I'll probably put up a career year or two playing next to Karlsson and cash in on some crazy good money". I guess thinking of it more as a business opportunity, so to speak.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
AHHHH, see folks, just what I have been saying for months. There was never a deal, nor was any deal close. EK wants to stay here, as I have been saying all along. He is not going anywhere. The owner and the kid are banging heads, as I said before, the billionaire vs the millionaire. Both sides want this figured out. SO, yes, the guy who comes in and ruffles feathers has said what Fried just said.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
AHHHH, see folks, just what I have been saying for months. There was never a deal, nor was any deal close. EK wants to stay here, as I have been saying all along. He is not going anywhere. The owner and the kid are banging heads, as I said before, the billionaire vs the millionaire. Both sides want this figured out. SO, yes, the guy who comes in and ruffles feathers has said what Fried just said.

What makes you think the "millionaire and billionaire" will find common ground though?

Nothing that Friedman reported is any different than what a large portion of the fan base already knows. Some of us just aren't as confident that a deal will materialize.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
So you're gloating because of one piece of the info Friedman provided. What about the part about Kalrsson not wanting to play for current ownership?

Reactions: stempniaksen

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
So you're gloating because of one piece of the info Friedman provided. What about the part about Kalrsson not wanting to play for current ownership?
Gil, way back I said that. There is a riff between both. I made that very clear. This whole fiasco at the trade deadline was because EK shot off his mouth and pissed off the big headed owner. Therefore, the owner said lets try and move him or make it look like we are moving him at the deadline....aka Gretzky style. This was an excercise by ownership(Billionaire) puffing out his chest to show who is boss and who pays the millionaires salary. Ek and his wife crapped themselves and she ordered him to talk to the agent and get this figured out immediately. I don't know if you recall, but after the deadline passed, when they interviewed EK, did you not hear it in his voice and and see his body language in the interviews. He felt defeated, deflated and more importantly.......humbled. Imagine if you were EK, it would be tough to get over that whole ordeal with ownership, so, he wants to stay, but both sides are going to have to really work at this relationship and fix it.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Gil, way back I said that. There is a riff between both. I made that very clear. This whole fiasco at the trade deadline was because EK shot off his mouth and pissed off the big headed owner. Therefore, the owner said lets try and move him or make it look like we are moving him at the deadline....aka Gretzky style. This was an excercise by ownership(Billionaire) puffing out his chest to show who is boss and who pays the millionaires salary. Ek and his wife crapped themselves and she ordered him to talk to the agent and get this figured out immediately. I don't know if you recall, but after the deadline passed, when they interviewed EK, did you not hear it in his voice and and see his body language in the interviews. He felt defeated, deflated and more importantly.......humbled. Imagine if you were EK, it would be tough to get over that whole ordeal with ownership, so, he wants to stay, but both sides are going to have to really work at this relationship and fix it.
Bahahaa

Your Eugene Melnyk fan fiction never fails to deliver.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe they need a professional mediator

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Still doesnt explain how EK gonna sign under such ownership unless something dramatically happens.

I also believe he will sign.

I believe Dorion is a moron but not a big enough moron to draft Tkachuk and then trade EK(instead of drafting dobson or deferring the pick).

EK wants to stay, he wants owner to run up, owner isnt running up but his time is ticking and it's a waiting game.

My dream scenario is Karlsson is traded, we obtain great return, EK doesnt sign extension right away, something happens and Melnyk sells, EK returns with Alfie.

My more realistic, and extremely optimistic scenario is something dramatic happens with ownership and EK and he re-signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad