News Article: Karlsson is Hockey's Best Breakout Machine by a Wide Margin

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Check out this excellent article arguing against Karlsson's perceived defensive shortcomings.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/581116

Erik Karlsson is the NHL’s most dynamic puck carrier, which often allows him to break the Senators out without help

Karlsson compiled the most zone entrances with possession among all D-men, and it wasn’t close. His total was 117. The next closest Sens D-man had 22 (Cody Ceci) and the next closest NHL defender in the league was Brian Campbell, who recorded 46 fewer controlled entries over that same time frame (71)

They did well off all those zone entrances too, averaging a shot roughly 70 percent of the time.

In terms of zone exits, Karlsson's 36 percent success rate on touches is also unparalleled. Only Kris Letang (33.2 percent), Keith Yandle (32.2 percent) and Ken Hitchcock's three best puckmovers (Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester, all over 31 percent) are in the same stratosphere, and even then, not really

And finally, Karlsson is also solid when it comes to defending zone entries, as opponents managed just a 54.5 percent carry-in against rate (very good) and he managed a breakup rate above 10 percent (also very good).

Also has some great visual evidence (for those who don't believe in numbers) breaking down Karlsson's excellent defensive (and offensive) abilities. I highly suggest reading this article.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
lots of people define Karlsson by his points, but as the article suggests and watching him suggests, that his points are a byproduct and bonus to his transition game abilites

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
In terms of zone exits, Karlsson's 36 percent success rate on touches is also unparalleled. Only Kris Letang (33.2 percent), Keith Yandle (32.2 percent) and Ken Hitchcock's three best puckmovers (Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester, all over 31 percent) are in the same stratosphere, and even then, not really

Reminder that the USA National Hockey Program Management left Keith Yandle off their Olympic team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We are lucky we get to watch him play for the Senators!

And then we also get to watch Subban a lot too!

And some say the Eastern conference sucks. :D

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Man, Karlsson is the greatest thing that has ever happened to the Sens.

I believe if we get stronger supporting cast, he'll dominate as the best player in the league easily. Just like he did Olympics. Remember that he was considered best player in 2012-2013 but the entire team played like ****.

All hail King K.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
One of the best ever. And just getting started.
Oh. Oh yeah, imo

CanadianGuest

Jul 14, 2012
Ontario
We have to be careful of confirmation bias, because we want Karlsson to be heads and shoulders above the rest, but, the article does substantiate the points he makes. I enjoyed the short video of the game against Buffalo, Karlsson was doing laps around everyone.

I didn't find a "unique team traits" page, but here's a LINK to a quick search to find more articles.

In a future article, I'm hoping we can see how and why Bergeron is so dominating defensively.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Find him a partner that excels at removing the puck from the opposition and see them flourish. Not saying Karlsson is bad when the other team has the puck (he's fine), but he's obviously better when he touches the puck.

I was hoping Cowen would emerge as a dominant dman without the puck and excel at changing possession, but it hasn't happened yet. Maybe this is the year. Methot is pretty good at it and that's (imo) why he and EK seemed to mesh so well together.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
EK is something special, reminds me of the high flying hockey played in the 80's by teams like the oilers and islanders. Incredibly great vision, speed, patience with the puck, and hockey sense...too bad he doesn't have enough players on O to finish what he starts.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Activate break out machine, go go gadget 'copters hehe. I still remember the first time i noticed that where EK was in the corner behind our net with a few opposing players converging on him, and im thinking, well he's in trouble now, how's he going to get out of this. And then he takes the puck, skates out with it and heads down the ice and, wait, he did what? He just took the puck and skated away from everyone with it. Easy peasy. Ok, nevermind, for some reason i thought he was in trouble, but apparently there was nothin to it, you just take the puck and skate away from everyone with it. Huh, had to relearn my hockey analysis.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
We are going to invite jealousy no matter what. People, especially fanatical fans are going to jump at any possibility. They react the way they do because deep down they know they want Karlsson on their team or a player like him.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
people would be thrilled to get a puck moving dman that could only get half the points Karlsson does, of course everyone wants him, it goes without saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad