Karlsson is 1st in points by defensemen

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Here's a prediction:

Karlsson's play will round out over the next month or so, in conjunction with playing more at home and playing a more balanced schedule in terms of competition. This will occur also with the team rounding out its game as it gets to breathe while beating teams it should beat. This will also get us into a rhythm where we can actually play with some of the elites and take some games (but unlikely a majority).

Karlsson started out the season with a compromised foot. Spezza started off with an adductor strain. We also started off on the West on a road trip we struggle with even when the team is dominant. Last night we played in Chicago, a rink where even when we were an elite team and Chicago was ass bad, we still lost every year.

Anderson's also coming down to earth, he isn't the best goalie in the league. He might squeak into the top 10.

BigBush*

His defensive game hasnt looked good, but I'd be a lot more concerned if that wasn't the case for ALL of Ottawas D. Maclean will get them tightened up

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So you're using goals base stast for his level of play on the sens, but corsi based stats for his QOC and QOT? That seems a little dubious don't you think?

Well I used Corsi QualComp because I feel that it determines flow of play better (so someone that has a bad Corsi but is still causing a negative +/- for Karlsson is not a good thing). If we're going to look at +/- QualComp you're going to have that number directly influenced by Karlsson and co. a heavy amount given that there's only been 12 games played so it really just tells us that they've had a good +/- against Ottawa for the most part (but I guess the same idea applies to Corsi anyway, but like I said I still prefer it due to its flow of play value).

Like you've said though it's early and the numbers are skewed because of it. I'm not using it as an absolute, and you're absolutely right that I'm using information that supports what I'm seeing. Call it confirmation bias, but I don't think that the numbers are wrong in this case.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Here's a prediction:

Karlsson's play will round out over the next month or so, in conjunction with playing more at home and playing a more balanced schedule in terms of competition. This will occur also with the team rounding out its game as it gets to breathe while beating teams it should beat. This will also get us into a rhythm where we can actually play with some of the elites and take some games (but unlikely a majority).

Karlsson started out the season with a compromised foot. Spezza started off with an adductor strain. We also started off on the West on a road trip we struggle with even when the team is dominant. Last night we played in Chicago, a rink where even when we were an elite team and Chicago was ass bad, we still lost every year.

Anderson's also coming down to earth, he isn't the best goalie in the league. He might squeak into the top 10.

I think so too, Movember will be an important month for Ottawa. :nod:

BTW the title is deceiving, Karlsson is tied in first with Subban, it implies he is alone in first. :shakehead

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
Source: behindthenet.ca, based on full season.
(regarding EK stats).

Well I'd hate to see what phillips' stats are, or compare EK's to any other sens D for that matter. BTW twelve games hardly consitutes a season.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Um, not true. Not even close. Teh team is statistically better when he's NOT on the ice, both production and goals allowed.

(From Cujomi:)
Karlsson on the ice:
- He produces 2.58g per game
- He allows 3.05g per game

Karlsson not on the ice:
- The team produces 3.17g per game
- The team allows 2.58g per game

Karlsson is on the ice for half the game, and the team sucks. So ofcourse his stats are going to suck. Not only that, but he's also on when the other team's best players are on.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
(regarding EK stats).

Well I'd hate to see what phillips' stats are, or compare EK's to any other sens D for that matter. BTW twelve games hardly consitutes a season.

I already posted the stats for everyone.

Anyway the stats I've posted are just in line with the idea of what we already know. Karlsson is outplaying (possession wise, shots, etc) the people that he is on the ice against fairly consistently but they're still outscoring him. The eye test will tell you this is because 1) people aren't converting scoring opportunities consistently and 2) he's been very poor in his own defensive zone coverage.

Nobody is saying that Karlsson is a bad player, or that Spezza is a bad player (well, a lot of people seem to think that here). Just that right now there's a lot of work to be done in the defensive zone. This will go away by mid season I'm fairly sure of it.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
We should consider converting Erik to a winger. NHL forwards are just too overpowering for his overall physique and style of play.

Just what the team needs, more ice-time for the 3 through 7 defensemen.

Swayzetrain*

He's having a quiet but productive start

He'll only get better as the season goes on

Kid is dynamite

Trade him to us for Phanoof and Orr

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
do we really need fancy numbers to tell us what has been plainly obvious thus far?

i don't think Karlsson is sacrificing his defense to put up more points, which means he'll continue to put up points, it's just him and the defense have been bad

Exactly. Does anyone think Karlsson doesn't try defensively? Or isn't aware that his defensive game isn't where it was in his Norris year? He is a supreme competitor. He knows where he is struggling. It isn't as simple as.... I will just stop making any mistakes.

I don't think it is his skating that much. I find his skating fine. He just isn't 100% firing on all cylinders mentally. Making misjudgements, the whole team is off. It is pretty clear. Last year we somehow had the 2nd best defence in the NHL and 2 years ago one of the better offences when Spezza and Karlsson were healthy.

Karlsson is clearly going to come around. Even playing the worst hockey since his rookie year he is about a PPG and leading D men in scoring. 12 games. Not a big sample size. He should be no where in the Norris discussion right now. He might be in April with 90+ points and a vastly improved defensive game like he had in 2011/12.

Are we serious ripping apart our Norris winning D-Man and sprouting trade Spezza threads all over these boards? Really? Both have struggled and both are STILL among the points leaders. In every game we gave won, it was because of those 2 directly. Are either playing well now? Nope. In the next SEVENTY games should we expect that to continue? Not very likely. We are a 3 game winning streak away from being in the mix in the East and there is 7/8th of the season left to play. It isn't panic time, or rip Karlsson time!

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Prefer this site for stats.
http://www.extraskater.com/team/ottawa-senators/2013

Basically Karlsson is godly going forward. Currently his D tactic is to often to anticipate a pass, intercept it and skate up the ice. This doesn't always work (Toews goal last night), he does it a lot in the NZ, and often breaks up a breakout, so it can be very effective. Think he just needs to get into the habit of picking up his man more in his own end.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
this_thread_gave_me_cancer_by_piratesadventure-d5f6o9n.jpg

Sad, sad thread.

Stef*

The whole team is not playing well enough defense

Not only spez or karlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad