Karl Magnus Svensson Pääjärvi VS Jesse Puljujärvi

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Puljujärvi was the one guy from the draft who was a raw talent, an athletically gifted guy, but needed some developing. He didn't get it, so there's a chance that he's going to turn out to be a bust.

The best thing for him, would be to move out of Oilers and try to start a career somewhere else.

If Oilers want to succeed with future draft picks, they should take the players that are the most "ready" rather than those who may have the most potential. They just suck at developing players, simple as that.
Canucks will trade Gudbranson for him. :naughty:

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Yet I was recently told that Pool Party had more value than Bryan Little lol
I firmly believe he does. He killed it in the preseason but for some reason McLellan buries him on the 4th line and doesn't give him any PP time with good players. He did the same shit last year.

I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but he's doing really terrible things as the coach of this team, specifically with regards to JP.

Reactions: 780il and LAINEC

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I firmly believe he does. He killed it in the preseason but for some reason McLellan buries him on the 4th line and doesn't give him any PP time with good players. He did the same **** last year.

I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but he's doing really terrible things as the coach of this team, specifically with regards to JP.

After a while you have to stop blaming the coaches, McLellan two years ago was seen as the great hope when the Oilers made a run, now he's shit according to the fan base.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
After a while you have to stop blaming the coaches, McLellan two years ago was seen as the great hope when the Oilers made a run, now he's **** according to the fan base.
I've never personally said McLellan was the problem. But JP looked fantastic going into this season, easily one of the best players on the team, and he gets thrown out there for 9 minutes a game with Kassian and Cagguila? What's he supposed to do? How is he supposed to keep his confidence up when his coach clearly doesn't want to give him any sort of help and favors older, crappier less deserving players while rewarding their lack of success with way more chances. As a 20 year old kid, that's got to feel soul crushing.

Look at the special teams. There were historically bad and the assistants took the fall. They come out this year with guys they brought in specifically for special teams, and we're running the exact same thing as last year with even worse results. It's obvious TMac is in charge of everything, and he's doing a terrible job of it.

In my honest opinion, it really looks like he's trying to coach himself out of a job. Seriously.

Reactions: Jeff Babchuk

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
After a while you have to stop blaming the coaches, McLellan two years ago was seen as the great hope when the Oilers made a run, now he's **** according to the fan base.

There was a quote from Johann Auvitu that basically said he lost the joy of playing hockey while with the Oilers. He couldn't earn the coaches trust. It didn't matter how good or bad he played, he would end up in the press box and there wasn't any communication from the coaches for the reason why.

Seems like the same thing is happening with Puljujarvi.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
There was a quote from Johann Auvitu that basically said he lost the joy of playing hockey while with the Oilers. He couldn't earn the coaches trust. It didn't matter how good or bad he played, he would end up in the press box and there wasn't any communication from the coaches for the reason why.

Seems like the same thing is happening with Puljujarvi.
Auvitu wasn't a good hockey player.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Puljujärvi was the one guy from the draft who was a raw talent, an athletically gifted guy, but needed some developing. He didn't get it, so there's a chance that he's going to turn out to be a bust.

The best thing for him, would be to move out of Oilers and try to start a career somewhere else.

If Oilers want to succeed with future draft picks, they should take the players that are the most "ready" rather than those who may have the most potential. They just suck at developing players, simple as that.
So much raw talent and I still really like Pulju and his potential, it's just how he's being handled.
Maybe he never puts it together or fulfills his draft position but I still think Edmonton can at least develop him into something.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
So much raw talent and I still really like Pulju and his potential, it's just how he's being handled.
Maybe he never puts it together or fulfills his draft position but I still think Edmonton can at least develop him into something.

There's still time. I mean, he just turned 20. In most cases, players only truly start fulfilling their promise in their 20's.

The last couple of years have been a missed opportunity though. If nothing else, he could have been utilized as a valuable piece in power-play. Probably wouldn't have hurt the Oilers to have him in the slot, practising his shot.

Reactions: Liminality

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Puljujarvi is wayyy better than Paajarvi. In the preaseason he scored at a point/per game, but then got demoted to playing 10 minutes a night because Todd McLellan hates him.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
I always reserve judgement when players "fall" in the draft. Sometimes its a mistake (Fowler, Barzal, etc.) but more often its not. Looking at Puju and Zadina.
From a Habs fan..hmm, I see no agenda here.

And to be clear, I know you guys took shit for the Kotkaniemi pick and it's looking like a great one, but calling Zadina a player who fell for good reasons seems just a bit premature?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
From a Habs fan..hmm, I see no agenda here.

And to be clear, I know you guys took **** for the Kotkaniemi pick and it's looking like a great one, but calling Zadina a player who fell for good reasons seems just a bit premature?
He was the consensus #3 pick on draft day, and got passed on by three teams. Was it foolishness by those teams or something else.

Too early to say but things often make sense later on.

It's purely a guess on my part

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad