Karl Magnus Svensson Pääjärvi VS Jesse Puljujärvi

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I am hearing and seeing a lot of controversy about Jesse Puljujärvi. Comments from the Oilers' Forum, and comments on Hockey Central at Noon. It seems like he's following the path of another Oilers draft pick that never quite worked out (Karl Magnus Svensson Pääjärvi). Are the two of them worth comparing? Do you see Jesse fighting through his adversity? Is Todd MacLellan the one who is holding him back, or was he a very overrated young player that never should have been drafted so high? It's hard to imagine that EDM would move on from him when you consider who they just moved on from in recent years?

What do you think?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Some guys just don't pan out in the National, it's the best league in the world after all. I won't write JP off completely just yet but he's behind schedule. I personally don't see an impact NHL player in him but I would liked to be proven wrong.

McDavid and the Oilers really need him to be one but like I've said I don't think I see it.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I mean I've seen some stupidity from McClellan where he has all the bottom six guys wearing the same colour jersey in practice and then says he doesn't know what his 3rd and 4th lines are and that they'll 'dictate' it. I dunno, I get what he's trying to do sort of but at the same time it just screams flying by the seat of your pants to me. Not sure how Pulju is going to thrive in a situation like that.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Pulju got a lot of hype from Oil fans during the preseason. I was hoping this was his year to break out. Doesn't look good though.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
I am hearing and seeing a lot of controversy about Jesse Puljujärvi. Comments from the Oilers' Forum, and comments on Hockey Central at Noon. It seems like he's following the path of another Oilers draft pick that never quite worked out (Karl Magnus Svensson Pääjärvi). Are the two of them worth comparing? Do you see Jesse fighting through his adversity? Is Todd MacLellan the one who is holding him back, or was he a very overrated young player that never should have been drafted so high? It's hard to imagine that EDM would move on from him when you consider who they just moved on from in recent years?

What do you think?
He is very clearly being ruined by our incompetent coach. He was flying out there looking like a stud all preseason.
All the hard work he put up was rewarded with a relegation to the 4th line.
Meanwhile Ty Rattie gets prime time with McD. Unbelievable.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Anytime I've personally seen him in the NHL he doesn't seem to do anything well other than skating fast north-south, no crisp passes, no accurate shots, just zooming up the ice and losing the puck.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Best shot on the team and they park him in front of the net on the 2nd PP unit while Strome is in the one timer spot. Then they give him 3rd/4th line minutes with Strome. Not many players are going to succeed in that situation.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I always reserve judgement when players "fall" in the draft. Sometimes its a mistake (Fowler, Barzal, etc.) but more often its not. Looking at Puju and Zadina.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Puljujärvi was the one guy from the draft who was a raw talent, an athletically gifted guy, but needed some developing. He didn't get it, so there's a chance that he's going to turn out to be a bust.

The best thing for him, would be to move out of Oilers and try to start a career somewhere else.

If Oilers want to succeed with future draft picks, they should take the players that are the most "ready" rather than those who may have the most potential. They just suck at developing players, simple as that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
They aren't really comparable outside size, skating and a similar ending name.

Paajarvi was developed properly. Year in the SHL in his draft+1 year, played in the top6 in a sheltered role with a decent veteran at the time(Gagner).

He just didn't have the skill to succeed with how much he avoided contact.

Pulju has shown far more than Paajarvi as far as skill goes, but for some reason the coach thinks he should only play 9 minutes a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAINEC

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
The best thing for him, would be to move out of Oilers and try to start a career somewhere else.

Exactly this. He could be a bust anyway but the way Oilers have been treating him since he became a part of their organization might as well be from "how to ruin young players confidence and game" handbook.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Exactly this. He could be a bust anyway but the way Oilers have been treating him since he became a part of their organization might as well be from "how to ruin young players confidence and game" handbook.

To make matters worse the player didn't speak English so they couldn't communicate. They should have sent him back overseas for a year and given him professional English lessons he had to do. Then bring him over.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
He's been mishandled just like many other prospects in EDM. Staying in EDM he will bust.

They should trade him for an established actual forth line player. I'm certain he will become a great player in another team if developed and used properly.

Luminiferous

Oct 11, 2018
He is being mishandled, as has been said before. When all is said and done, they could be a similar ilk of player. Not yet tho. It is early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad