Confirmed with Link: Karl Henriksson signed

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He had the ability to be a solid middle six winger. He had a couple good years then eventually found his way back to Finland. If I remember correctly they (Maloney maybe) compared him to Forsberg I think. Talk about setting big expectations on a kid...
That was Glenn Forsberg, though.

Reactions: Barnaby

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Korpikoski had a nice career, was lost in a horrible trade*,
Lauri was never expected to be high scorer, but fans expected that, due to draft position.

* that first off-season, Torts knee-jerk pushed out multiple useful depth Fs - Betts and Freddie too

And Fredrik Sjöström is now the GM of Frölunda Indians. We've come full circle

Reactions: Barnaby

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Painful thing is Jarret Stoll was such an obvious pick there. That one had me heated. The post lockout years would've looked a lot different.

2002 was such a funny draft.

Absolutely awful draft. No first because of the Bure deal but a high 2nd rounder.

Two of the most interesting post-1st prospects are redrafts, Stoll and Matt Lombardi.

Instead we draft Falardeau who is awful. In his prime he can barely play in the AHL.

Both Stoll and Lombardi end up as Rangers for a hot minute over a decade later.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
saw middle item today at "2021 Prospect Signings" thread at "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" Forum

do below mean Henriksson must be returned to SHL if not in NHL?

or does SHL-NHL transfer agreement allow him in Hartford?
ie does our Amazing Kreiderman know more than CapFriendly?
is CF citing improper source?

Karl is 20, and per EliteProspects signed for next with Frolunda
Karl Henriksson at eliteprospects.com
This Norlinder guy also signed w Frolunda, so seemingly identical status as Karl H

...Henriksson signing makes sense with the Rangers not being happy with his development. They feel he can develop better in Hartford.

Well actually...

screen captures from CapFriendly tweet:

upload_2021-6-3_12-34-39.png

E29-QsEWEA4PcS0

UPDATE found this reply, which may be what Steven anticipates
upload_2021-6-3_13-9-56.png

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
saw middle item today at "2021 Prospect Signings" thread at "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" Forum

do below mean Henriksson must be returned to SHL if not in NHL?

or does SHL-NHL transfer agreement allow him in Hartford?
ie does our Amazing Kreiderman know more than CapFriendly?
is CF citing improper source?

Karl is 20, and per EliteProspects signed for next with Frolunda
Karl Henriksson at eliteprospects.com
This Norlinder guy also signed w Frolunda, so seemingly identical status as Karl H

screen captures from CapFriendly tweet:

View attachment 442751

E29-QsEWEA4PcS0

UPDATE found this reply, which may be what Steven anticipates
View attachment 442770

HF User Aalstrom actually explained this elsewhere as well

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
HF User Aalstrom actually explained this elsewhere as well
Anybody else surprised we signed 1-goal Karl? I’m kind of hoping this year was an aberration, but he’s too small to be an effective 3C and not offensive enough to be a 2C. Maybe this contract spot would have been better used on a different player?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Anybody else surprised we signed 1-goal Karl? I’m kind of hoping this year was an aberration, but he’s too small to be an effective 3C and not offensive enough to be a 2C. Maybe this contract spot would have been better used on a different player?

I am not surprised at all,
I won't write-off a kid so young, solely off a poor 19-year old season,
For a player so young, I won't give this one season more weight than the seasons, performances, attributes and potential which led to being drafted
Especially this wacky Covid season, when also, he was prevented from playing WJC

He's got at least as much upside as a variety of guys teams sign to ELC's

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Rangers have contract spots so it's not like he's blocking someone else. I didn't expect him to sign this early but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I am not surprised at all,
I won't write-off a kid so young, solely off a poor 19-year old season,
For a player so young, I won't give this one season more weight than the seasons, performances, attributes and potential which led to being drafted
Especially this wacky Covid season, when also, he was prevented from playing WJC

He's got at least as much upside as a variety of guys teams sign to ELC's
True I see this year as an anomaly for most guys nhlers and prospects alike? I was just surprised they signed him. But like AmazinK said, he’s not really blocking anyone atm so there’s not a lot to lose if he rebounds well

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Never seen the first period.

Second Period:

Period starts with 20 seconds of 4v4/5v4. Then another 4v4 starting at 2:12, became 4v3 after a bit over a minute; Frolunda scores a PP goal at 4:44 to go up 2-1. No Henriksson for any of this stretch.

Another PP for Frolunda at 5:06. Killed.

1st shift, off zone draw, 8:05 into period:
Looked quick in trying to get to the lost faceoff, but the opposing team immediately turned it up ice and scored on the rush. He was the only forward that go back, but he wasn't in position to cover his man (who was mostly inconsequential on the play anyway). 2-2.

2nd shift, on the fly:
Went hard into a puck battle, which he nearly won after being knocked down. Then got up from the endboards and beat both his linemates on the backcheck to force a turnover at the def blueline. Lots of energy.

3rd shift, on the fly:
Mostly uneventful. Made a nice redirect chip in even though he knew he was going to get knocked down in the process. Built up a head of steam on the breakout, took the pass inside his own blueline and was immediately blocked by a defender, but made a quick accurate cross-ice pass to a breaking linemate; again, knowing that he was about to get run into.

I may have missed a short shift here.

Frolunda PP at 14:30. Killed.

4th shift, def zone draw:
Carried the puck for a controlled zone entry. Blew past defender on left side, and managed to play the puck around the boards to the point despite getting rubbed out behind the net. Had a deflection in tight to the goalie that may have had a chance on a harder shot. Kept play alive with nice 1v2 chip on the boards back to his pointman. Almost the entire shift was in the o-zone; the whole line cycled well.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Vince re Karl this week at Dev Camp

NY Rangers development camp: Observations from first scrimmage
"Another forward I've been impressed with in the small sample is Karl Henriksson. The 2019 second-round pick hasn't been very productive in the SHL, but everyone raves about his hockey IQ and vision. You can see his calmness with the puck and his ability to make nifty passes, but he's also been engaged physically. I've witnessed the 5-foot-9, 176-pounder go hard into one-on-one battles along the wall a few times and he was a pest on the forecheck during the scrimmage. At one point from the F1 position (meaning the lead forechecker), our No. 8-ranked prospect disrupted a breakout from the blue team by throwing a check, intercepting a pass and getting off a quick shot on goal."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Vince re Karl this week at Dev Camp

NY Rangers development camp: Observations from first scrimmage
"Another forward I've been impressed with in the small sample is Karl Henriksson. The 2019 second-round pick hasn't been very productive in the SHL, but everyone raves about his hockey IQ and vision. You can see his calmness with the puck and his ability to make nifty passes, but he's also been engaged physically. I've witnessed the 5-foot-9, 176-pounder go hard into one-on-one battles along the wall a few times and he was a pest on the forecheck during the scrimmage. At one point from the F1 position (meaning the lead forechecker), our No. 8-ranked prospect disrupted a breakout from the blue team by throwing a check, intercepting a pass and getting off a quick shot on goal."

Good news about Henriksson who may not be the most popular prospect among fans due to his lack of scoring in the SHL but we sometimes forget how young these kids are. If Henriksson didn't miss the WJC last year due to injury, that opinion may have been different.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Stylistically, who does he play like? He's more of a compliment piece? Is he staying at Center or moving to Wing for NA hockey?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Stylistically, who does he play like? He's more of a compliment piece? Is he staying at Center or moving to Wing for NA hockey?

He plays a bit like Brassard. Not necessarily at that level, but stylistically. He's a guy who makes passes nobody sees coming. His biggest challenge is adjusting to the pro level. It might be 2-3 more years before he's ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad