Confirmed with Link: Karl Henriksson signed

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Henriksson was a prospect that I had some hope for when he was drafted. The reports that the stud wingers he played with in the WJC loved playing with him and pointed to him as elevating their games sounded like exactly what we need. But he has been disappointing since then. Maybe he can still turn it around. With our lack of young centers, he has a path to the NHL, especially if he can click with one of our young wings.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Henriksson was a prospect that I had some hope for when he was drafted. The reports that the stud wingers he played with in the WJC loved playing with him and pointed to him as elevating their games sounded like exactly what we need. But he has been disappointing since then. Maybe he can still turn it around. With our lack of young centers, he has a path to the NHL, especially if he can click with one of our young wings.

Yeah, but I think it is important to note that his stock really was hurt by missing the WJC. Had he played in the WJC he would have been the top center for one of the top teams and definitely matched the performance of all top centers in that tournament (which he have done many times before against the same opponents). Now he is solely judged on his stats in the SHL. Please note, that doesn't excuse his play in the SHL, but it would at least have provided more of a split picture.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Yeah, but I think it is important to note that his stock really was hurt by missing the WJC. Had he played in the WJC he would have been the top center for one of the top teams and definitely matched the performance of all top centers in that tournament (which he have done many times before against the same opponents). Now he is solely judged on his stats in the SHL. Please note, that doesn't excuse his play in the SHL, but it would at least have provided more of a split picture.

Maybe WJC would have given him a needed boost of confidence that could have carried over to SHL. I'm still saying "wait and see" for Henriksson. We gain nothing by writing him off now. He just turned 20. He can spend another year in Sweden, and then a year in Hartford, and he'll still only be 22.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't disagree that he probably would have seen a boost to his stock, but the question with Henriksson and these tournaments always remains--is he a product of his own skills and ability, or is he a product of playing between Holtz and Raymond? I know those two always credit him and talk about how they love playing with him, how he reads them so well and they have great chemistry, etc., but how would he do away from them? I'm more interested in that. We know he can beat up on kids his age and we know he can run up stats playing between two f***ing studs. For me the WJC would have just been more of the same and not really changed my opinion of him.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
If the Rangers are just re-loaning him to Frolunda, why use a contract on him before the June 2023 deadline?

Reactions: Draft Guru

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If the Rangers are just re-loaning him to Frolunda, why use a contract on him before the June 2023 deadline?

It gives them a little bit of control even when he stays in Sweden. They can do what they did with Lias back in 2017-18. With the Rangers having him under contract now, they could facilitate some things to help his development. Send over personal trainers to work with him etc.

I remember back in 2017, the Rangers sent a skating coach to Göteborg to work exclusively with Lias

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
It gives them a little bit of control even when he stays in Sweden. They can do what they did with Lias back in 2017-18. With the Rangers having him under contract now, they could facilitate some things to help his development. Send over personal trainers to work with him etc.

I remember back in 2017, the Rangers sent a skating coach to Göteborg to work exclusively with Lias

I read that the Rangers sent a plumber to Göteborg to beat Lias’s feet with a hammer.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I read that the Rangers sent a plumber to Göteborg to beat Lias’s feet with a hammer.

A plumber, you say?

a78788d285a647701307d615d5d2a08b.jpg

Reactions: Cag29

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Im sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I never feel confident taking the 2nd or 3rd best player on a line. I start getting Ryan Gropp syndrome. How often does the 2nd best player on a line put up huge numbers then flame out? Obviously short international tournaments can be a bit different, but even then it’s something to consider. Seeing him score flanked by two top ten picks against teenagers is cool, but at some point you have to do something else.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Im sure there are exceptions to the rule, but I never feel confident taking the 2nd or 3rd best player on a line. I start getting Ryan Gropp syndrome. How often does the 2nd best player on a line put up huge numbers then flame out? Obviously short international tournaments can be a bit different, but even then it’s something to consider. Seeing him score flanked by two top ten picks against teenagers is cool, but at some point you have to do something else.

It does seem like whenever its becomes a talking point it usually doesn't work out. Gropp. Grachev. Korpi. The dude from 2003 that I won't name.

I guess its better than Falardeau who was the best player on the 3rd line.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
It does seem like whenever its becomes a talking point it usually doesn't work out. Gropp. Grachev. Korpi. The dude from 2003 that I won't name. I guess its better than Falardeau who was the best player on the 3rd line.

Korpikoski had a nice career, was lost in a horrible trade*,
Lauri was never expected to be high scorer, but fans expected that, due to draft position.

* that first off-season, Torts knee-jerk pushed out multiple useful depth Fs - Betts and Freddie too

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
According my phone’s translation of that article (thank you @Aahlstroem), Henrikssen is best served and most effective playing center, but the club prefers veterans to play center. So Henrikssen didn’t get to play much center. He did, though, toward the end of the season and apparently looked good. So hoping he gets to play exclusively, or at least much more center next season.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
I remember the Rangers being real high on their 51st pick ( I think) Center Bruce Graham. I was high myself on this guy being a 3rd line stalwart for us. Guy was 6'6" and could skate real well.

* Btw. The guy is 35 now and still playing. *

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I remember the Rangers being real high on their 51st pick ( I think) Center Bruce Graham. I was high myself on this guy being a 3rd line stalwart for us. Guy was 6'6" and could skate real well.

was thinking of him lately,
given seeming intent to bring Schneider into Hartford

the rules, at that time, let Graham join AHL at 19,
possibly undermining his development arc ...

curious where you saw he is still playing?

Eliteprospects stops tracking him after '17-18
Bruce Graham at eliteprospects.com

HockeyDB even earlier, after '14-15
Bruce Graham (b.1985) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
My bad. Should of said played a long time after failing to make the NHL.

Was also thinking of Christian Dube as well. Had NHL talent, but never thought he really wanted to be a NHLer.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

You mean... ‘Doc’ Graham?

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Lauri was never expected to be high scorer, but fans expected that, due to draft position.

* that first off-season, Torts knee-jerk pushed out multiple useful depth Fs - Betts and Freddie too

He had the ability to be a solid middle six winger. He had a couple good years then eventually found his way back to Finland. If I remember correctly they (Maloney maybe) compared him to Forsberg I think. Talk about setting big expectations on a kid...

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Painful thing is Jarret Stoll was such an obvious pick there. That one had me heated. The post lockout years would've looked a lot different.

That was a tough one. It’s amazing that they just always seemed to miss back in that time period. I remember the lineups people would always cobble together and the youngins either wouldn’t make it at all or at the least be super disappointing.

Even when they seemed to hit (Blackburn) something would always happen.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Still a bit salty that they moved out Betts and then signed the man who killed him. Had a soft spot for Freddie Shoes, as well.

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad