Confirmed with Link: Karl Henriksson signed

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Curious, outside of missing the WJC, what was unlucky about this season for Henriksson? I mean I'm fully on board with the "let's be patient" approach with him, but I'm not sure how the season was unlucky.
Maybe i oversimplify, but from my years of hockey fandom, when a skilled player gets the icetime, but not the results, some chunk of why,may just be the way the pucks bounce, ie luck

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Yeah, I expect Lundkvist, Pajuniemi and Edström to sign soon. I know Edström is a surprise name for a contract this summer but they really like him.

The conversations between the Rangers and Edström have been more frequent this year than in his D+1 which is a good sign.

Pajuniemi needs a look. The kid just scores goals. No idea if it will translate to NA but they need to find out. The team doesn’t need a winger but if his goal scoring translates it opens a ton of options.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
IDK, other than COVID, none of that really strikes me as bad luck. He had many chances to solidify his spot in the lineup even before the COVID, but never did anything with it. Even when he'd get bounced and they'd put Nassen in his spot, he'd get his lineup spot back within a game or two. But again, he couldn't do anything with it.

If he was contributing offensively to start the year, before the COVID, maybe I'd feel differently. But he was an offensive black hole basically from day one. The rest of his game got a bit better, but he was dropped in the lineup because his stick is where offense went to die.

The injury and COVID were bad luck. Not forcing his way up the line-up after he came back is all on him.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
this is very surprising, I guess they weren't happy how he was being developed in Sweden and will try to develop him in AHL?

Reactions: egelband

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
My attitude about prospects is pretty consistent,
I give them the benefit of the doubt til they run out of road.
Was that way, for example, with Day and Gropp, and others.
Look at Ronning's turnaround this season.
I try to avoid drawing conclusions about players in their teens, or early 20's, or first few years pro.
Every player's arc is different.
I try to remain positive about every player in the org and system.
That's how I fan.

Last edited:

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Honestly, I have hopes that he can be a 3C with a similar skillset to Wennberg without the draft pedigree expectations. Maybe a Jarnkrok type. Probably takes him a while to get there, but I don’t read too much into his overseas stats. I think he can be a player.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
A player this small and without great skating ability that also doesn’t have elite skill worries me. And the fact that he isn’t close to a star in the SHL.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Frölunda will have priority over AHL next season due to him having a contract with Frölunda for 21/22 and being the right age (JWC+1). So he'll need Frölunda's permission to play in the AHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Frölunda will have priority over AHL next season due to him having a contract with Frölunda for 21/22 and being the right age (JWC+1). So he'll need Frölunda's permission to play in the AHL.

No, he falls under the NHL transfer agreement. The NHL pays a transfer fee to the Swedish Federation for each player on an existing contract moving to the NHL. Players on expiring contracts don't require a transfer sum.

Last edited:

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
No, he falls under the NHL transfer agreement. The NHL pays a transfer fee to the Swedish Federation for each player on an existing contract moving to the NHL. Players on expiring contracts don't require a transfer sum.
And in this agreement players drafted outside of the first round, that have a existing contract with their SHL team and is in within a certain age span (oldest being WJC+1) have to be offered on loan to the SHL team before they can play in the AHL.

I've spoken to a AGM in SHL about this and I'm pretty sure he knows the rules here.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
And in this agreement players drafted outside of the first round, that have a existing contract with their SHL team and is in within a certain age span (oldest being WJC+1) have to be offered on loan to the SHL team before they can play in the AHL.

I've spoken to a AGM in SHL about this and I'm pretty sure he knows the rules here.

As far as I know, that's D+1 and D+2 only. I will have to see if I still have that document somewhere. It's been a while since I went though it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A few thoughts:

1. I think Frölunda and NYR could come to an understanding on where Henriksson should play next season, don't think that will be an issue. .

2. I am definitely still hopeful that Henriksson will do well in the AHL next season and I think that is what management wants to accomplish. He has some traits and flaws that fits a little better on the NA ice.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Given the season he just had, this signing makes a lot less sense to me if he's getting loaned back to the same team...
Yeah I'm really hoping the Rangers can help facilitate another loan to a different SHL club or even an Allsvenskan club (which, honestly, is probably the best level for him at the moment). For his development, he needs to play not just the good 5v5 minutes he received earlier in the year, but also some PP1 time, and ideally as a C.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Does getting him signed make him a more attractive trade asset?

His value is still pretty low so not sure.

Thinking his value will increase once we’re back to normal and healthy development beyond this Covid world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad