Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I found to end last year he was playing a lot better with Juulsen, if he can play like he has the last couple of games I'd have no problem with him on the third pair with Juulsen once our D are healthy.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“Well, it was interesting. I got a lof of stuffs to deal through out the season. In the end, it was fun year of hockey. I mean, I just say to the coach this team is just so much fun. I had similar experiences, not the same results. We had a incredibly tight team and everybody had fun at the rink all the time. Regardless of what happens on the ice, we were always came back to next day, guys were happy and enjoying the time around each others. It made the year way more fun.”

“I felt okay, I mean I understood what I was needed to do. I felt good doing at, personally as the season going on... I started feeling better and better on the ice. So that's was really nice too. It was fun playing with a lot of young players. You get a different look at the game on and off the ice. Really great group of guys, they made my job little bit easier.”

“I expect the unexpected. Honestly, I've no clue. I hope too at some points we have a conversation. I've heard anything yet... I don't know what's going to happen in the summer with the team. Some guys there need to re-sign, so I don't know how that's going to play out. It's was pretty clear that there wasn't spots for me. So I'll like to be in a situation where there's a spot for me.”

“I've not asked for anything... But I'm open to get back into the NHL, whether the way it's...”

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
“Well, it was interesting. I got a lof of stuffs to deal through out the season. In the end, it was fun year of hockey. I mean, I just say to the coach this team is just so much fun. I had similar experiences, not the same results. We had a incredibly tight team and everybody had fun at the rink all the time. Regardless of what happens on the ice, we were always came back to next day, guys were happy and enjoying the time around each others. It made the year way more fun.”

“I felt okay, I mean I understood what I was needed to do. I felt good doing at, personally as the season going on... I started feeling better and better on the ice. So that's was really nice too. It was fun playing with a lot of young players. You get a different look at the game on and off the ice. Really great group of guys, they made my job little bit easier.”

“I expect the unexpected. Honestly, I've no clue. I hope too at some points we have a conversation. I've heard anything yet... I don't know what's going to happen in the summer with the team. Some guys there need to re-sign, so I don't know how that's going to play out. It's was pretty clear that there wasn't spots for me. So I'll like to be in a situation where there's a spot for me.”

“I've not asked for anything... But I'm open to get back into the NHL, whether the way it's...”
Pure class act who was blessed with a great contract by an incompetent GM and pro scouting group

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At what time in the future can Marc Bergevin buy out Karl Alzner?

After next season.

9MdKMF2.jpg

Reactions: Banded Peak

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Realistically the only time Alzner can be efficiently bought out will be after 20-21 season. Buying him out now would result in 6 years of cap penalty with the 2020/21 season actually costing more cap than just burying him in the minors.

Buying him out in June of 2020 works. See post above

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Buying him out in June of 2020 works. See post above

The 850k penalty for the 22 and 23 seasons is manageable but your buyout leave a 2020/21 cap of 3.9 million. If we were to just leave him buried in the minors is a 3.4 million cap hit for the 2020 season and that will actually be lower as the bury-able amount rises.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The 850k penalty for the 22 and 23 seasons is manageable but your buyout leave a 2020/21 cap of 3.9 million. If we were to just leave him buried in the minors is a 3.4 million cap hit for the 2020 season and that will actually be lower as the bury-able amount rises.

You can do that too. See below for difference in cap hits between buying him out in 2020 or 2021. I'm OK with either or.

9MdKMF2.jpg

mzPv7Gc.jpg

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
You can do that too. See below for difference in cap hits between buying him out in 2020 or 2021. I'm OK with either or.

9MdKMF2.jpg

mzPv7Gc.jpg

There is just no point in buying him out in 2020 as you end up with a higher cap hit than just burying him and an extra year of dead cap. So you get no benefit in 2020 and an extra year penalty in 2023.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is just no point in buying him out in 2020 as you end up with a higher cap hit than just burying him and an extra year of dead cap. So you get no benefit in 2020 and an extra year penalty in 2023.

Depends on when you want the cap space badly. The 2021 off season is the key point for us. Not much savings I agree but all depends on if Alzner is willing to be a team player and not be a distraction if we keep him in the AHL.

I get your point and not arguing with it cause I do agree the difference is minimal. However, what cap issues to you see for next season? Do you think this affects Domi's contract in any way at all? I doubt it. The critical point for us is the 2021 off season. We need all the space we can get

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Depends on when you want the cap space badly. The 2021 off season is the key point for us. Not much savings I agree but all depends on if Alzner is willing to be a team player and not be a distraction if we keep him in the AHL.

I get your point and not arguing with it cause I do agree the difference is minimal. However, what cap issues to you see for next season? Do you think this affects Domi's contract in any way at all? I doubt it. The critical point for us is the 2021 off season. We need all the space we can get

Realistically I foresee no cap issues next season. (I'm assuming we are talking about 2020/21). This July 1st will clear a lot of that up but unless we get multiple 6M+ contracts or sign Panarin/Marner than realistically I think we'll have about 3 Million in empty cap space next year. Which much to the dismay of many, will actually be a good thing because that empty cap space can go to Mete. The cap will go up by another 3 million or so which will probably take care of Domi's next contract. And Weise Peca and Mason's hits all come off the books.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Realistically I foresee no cap issues next season. (I'm assuming we are talking about 2020/21). This July 1st will clear a lot of that up but unless we get multiple 6M+ contracts or sign Panarin/Marner than realistically I think we'll have about 3 Million in empty cap space next year. Which much to the dismay of many, will actually be a good thing because that empty cap space can go to Mete. The cap will go up by another 3 million or so which will probably take care of Domi's next contract. And Weise Peca and Mason's hits all come off the books.

Can you explain how you see our cap space being $3M after next season? I don't see it. Are you saying it's $3M after we sign a UFA this summer?

Cap projects to be $83M this off season and what are you using after next season? $86M or $87M? How much are you paying Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen, Domi, Mete, and Juulsen in the next two off seasons? The only player getting a substantial raise is Domi in the next two off seasons. If we are in trouble, the rest of the league is in more trouble.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Can you explain how you see our cap space being $3M after next season? I don't see it. Are you saying it's $3M after we sign a UFA this summer?

Cap projects to be $83M this off season and what are you using after next season? $86M or $87M? How much are you paying Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen, Domi, Mete, and Juulsen in the next two off seasons? The only player getting a substantial raise is Domi in the next two off seasons. If we are in trouble, the rest of the league is in more trouble.

I was saying we start next season with an extra 3 million in cap space. Could be closer to 5 though.

Kulak probably gets a touch over a million on a 2 year deal.
Armia maybe 2 Million per over 3 or 4 years?
Lehkonen will be similar Kulak on a 1 or 2 year deal.
Domi will likely get 6.5 at minimum if he follows up last season. Maybe a ceiling of 7.5? Hard to judge that off of one season.
Mete I think will come in around 4 Million. Kinda similar to Jonis Brodin.
Juulsen is impossible to predict right now. But my guy says he'll get a small 1 or 2 year bridge deal because he's so far down the depth chart.

So what I meant was that the cap space we don't use this year will be spent on Mete next year. Then whatever the cap goes up by after next season will pay Domi. Then we have Weise, Peca, Deslauriers, and Mason all coming off the books that will allow us to spend at FA if we can. So I don't think we have any cap concerns whatsoever unless we really really spend this Summer or take on long-term bad contracts.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was saying we start next season with an extra 3 million in cap space. Could be closer to 5 though.

Kulak probably gets a touch over a million on a 2 year deal.
Armia maybe 2 Million per over 3 or 4 years?
Lehkonen will be similar Kulak on a 1 or 2 year deal.
Domi will likely get 6.5 at minimum if he follows up last season. Maybe a ceiling of 7.5? Hard to judge that off of one season.
Mete I think will come in around 4 Million. Kinda similar to Jonis Brodin.
Juulsen is impossible to predict right now. But my guy says he'll get a small 1 or 2 year bridge deal because he's so far down the depth chart.

So what I meant was that the cap space we don't use this year will be spent on Mete next year. Then whatever the cap goes up by after next season will pay Domi. Then we have Weise, Peca, Deslauriers, and Mason all coming off the books that will allow us to spend at FA if we can. So I don't think we have any cap concerns whatsoever unless we really really spend this Summer or take on long-term bad contracts.

I inserted your cap hits (with some added fluff) for our RFA's and moved Alzner to the AHL. Based on the cap being $83M next season and $86M the season after. This is how it looks like for the 20/21 season (See Below)

The problem would be for the 21/22 season (potentially). Lets say we add a $8M player this off season. What does that mean for the 21/22 season? It means two of Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, and Danault are not back with us. Lets add another $3M in cap inflation bringing the salary cap to $89M (I believe this is conservative numbers as well). How much extra cap space do we need for two of (Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, Danault) and to extend the RFA in Kotkaneimi? Right now these 5 players take up $18M so is that enough to re-sign Gallagher, Tatar, and Kotkaniemi plus adding $3M in cap inflation? That's $21M for 3 players at a average of $7M each. It has the possibility to be tight but it's not a major problem.

Looks to me that we have room for a $8M UFA. Do you or do you not like my witch hunt here? haha

wD8AR44.jpg

dVyGl3z.jpg

Reactions: vokiel

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
The problem would be for the 21/22 season (potentially). Lets say we add a $8M player this off season. What does that mean for the 21/22 season? It means two of Gallagher, Petry, Tatar, and Danault are not back with us.

We've gone a long ways off of Karl Alzner haha. 2021 is a long ways away but I wouldn't be shocked if 2 or even 3 of those names are no longer on the roster anyways.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Yeah, that's a huge stretch. A bridge of 2 years/4.5 million makes sense to me.

I think a bridge is less than that. If he wants to go long-term than somewhere between 4.5 and 5 million for 4-6 years. I think Jonis Brodin is a great comparable. He signed an 6 year deal at just over 4 million per. Bridge deal is probably 2 years at like 3 or 3.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->