Player Discussion Karl Alzner: He Left and They Won

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Alzner is waivers bound later this week or they put Scherbak on IR and activate Weber.

But we will have 9 d on the roster.

I do wish Habs do what Rangers did with Brendan Smith last year.

Smith and Alzner are about the same age. Signed similar contracts and are both defensemen today's game has passed by.

Last year, after signing Smith to 4 years @ $4.35M that off-season, Rangers placed Smith on waivers and sent him to the minors.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Oh yea that was the poll on radio today if Habs fans would do it.

On one hand, even if his speed is gone, I would love to see him goon it up with the Habs. On the other hand it would be sacrilegous seeing him with the Habs. I mean how low can you get? There are a few things in life that we should stick by: Don't walk on Superman's cape, don't dance with the Devil under the moonlight and don't have Lucic wear the CH.

I thought the modern convention was "Don't let Trump or Hillary into the White House"

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Oh yea that was the poll on radio today if Habs fans would do it.

On one hand, even if his speed is gone, I would love to see him goon it up with the Habs. On the other hand it would be sacrilegous seeing him with the Habs. I mean how low can you get? There are a few things in life that we should stick by: Don't walk on Superman's cape, don't dance with the Devil under the moonlight and don't have Lucic wear the CH.
Raffi Torres already paved the way for such situations by becoming a Shark after literally f***ing them over with a dirty hit twice in the past.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Alzner has his issues, but at least he doesn’t run around like he’s got his head chopped off in his own zone.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Difference is, we're the Habs, not the Sharks.
Chris Nilan also went to Boston. Boston then traded him to us, and then he ended his NHL career.

Lucic coming here wouldn't be a big deal for any parties involved; everyone he hated then are gone. Subban, Emelin, Pleks. Gone. He grew up a Vancouver fan anyway.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
He's been pretty good recently.When he keeps it simple and plays physical he can be serviceable as a 4-5th guy.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He was even better against the Bs, probably one of his best games in a Habs jersey. Kept it simple, few big hits, stayed on his feet. Bagged on him lots so have to give credit when its due

He played okay in the defensive zone, and threw in a highlight hit. It was his best game of the year, but the bar was set low.

You gotta have a certain capacity to handle pucks in today' game, or deliver a headman pass every now and then. The way he receives passes or fluffs on certain pass attempts, I just feel like he has some permanent damage involving his hands/wrists.

You will also see that there is no player who plays it "safer" than alzner. Its off the wall and out with him almost everytime, but that only leads to stalled attacks, or turnovers in the neutral zone.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He was even better against the Bs, probably one of his best games in a Habs jersey. Kept it simple, few big hits, stayed on his feet. Bagged on him lots so have to give credit when its due
Good to here, sometimes a rest is a wakeup. If he plays like he was suppose to quite an addition to Habs, or we may be able to move his contract later this season. I never watched the game. We generally go out Saturday nights. PVR'd it, watch it this afteroon.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He's been pretty good recently.When he keeps it simple and plays physical he can be serviceable as a 4-5th guy.
Ya I think he changed his game for whatever reason after he signed his deal. These last 2 games are all we need him to be, and that's a big, solid defensive dman who can eat tough minutes for you.

Reactions: Max2

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Ya I think he changed his game for whatever reason after he signed his deal. These last 2 games are all we need him to be, and that's a big, solid defensive dman who can eat tough minutes for you.
I agree.I think after signing the big contract he wanted to try to be some type of star defensive.He isn't that but if he plays to his strengths which are good positioning,physical play and keeping it simple,he can still contribute.He is way overpaid but that's all we can do about that.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
It would really be something if Alzner remembered how to play hockey again.

Jul 6, 2016
Can he play more than two good games in a row ?

I hope so.

Keep him around 16-17 minutes, and he could be allright.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad