Karl Alzner and Keaton Ellerby

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
I think these guys are more stay-at-home defencemen, although they should eventually be reasonably good two-way guys, especially Ellerby. But not PPQB's.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Why is Alzner so high then, if he can't be a PPQB then he should not be as high on some boards.

With ellerby that's not his game but the guy had 25 points last year and for a defensive defenceman that's pretty good.

PP isnt everything. he is the most well rounded d-man in the draft. thats why he is so high in the rankings. he has some offensive upside, but i see him more as a stay at home type of guy who chips in with about 20-30 points.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
you are absolutely right:)

Well then this draft is a lot better than 1996 because Alzner might not even be in the top-5 and Phillips was taken 1st overall ;)...But I guess being better than that draft is not much of an accomplishment haha.

KBF111

May 16, 2007
If you are basing it solely on potential, Ellerby should go higher.

If you are talking about who's the better player right now, Alzner all the way.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Alzner has done a pretty good job quarterbackin the PP in the few hitmen games I've seen this year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
To me, Alzner is a lot closer to Redden than Phillips. He plays the PP for the Hitmen, and does a fine job of it. He'll never be Sergei Zubov, but he moves the puck well, has a high skill level, and does a good job of getting his point shot through. Tons of composure with the puck, makes excellent decisions. I see no reason why he won't play the PP in the NHL and put up 40-45 points/year in addition to his strong defensive work.

Ellerby is strong on the breakout but mediocre in contained offensive situations. Some nice raw skills, but doesn't have a ton of offensive sense. Might have an outside shot at being a 2nd unit guy in pro, but he'll never be a big point producer in the NHL.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
To me, Alzner is a lot closer to Redden than Phillips. He plays the PP for the Hitmen, and does a fine job of it. He'll never be Sergei Zubov, but he moves the puck well, has a high skill level, and does a good job of getting his point shot through. Tons of composure with the puck, makes excellent decisions. I see no reason why he won't play the PP in the NHL and put up 40-45 points/year in addition to his strong defensive work.

Ellerby is strong on the breakout but mediocre in contained offensive situations. Some nice raw skills, but doesn't have a ton of offensive sense. Might have an outside shot at being a 2nd unit guy in pro, but he'll never be a big point producer in the NHL.
I was about to post that myself. Comparing Alzner to Phillips sells his offensive ability short imo. Agree with the rest of what MS said, but one thing I would add that stands out to me is his great patience with the puck. Very long panic point on his first pass under pressure, and smart with it in the offensive zone.

edit: On reading it a second time, I missed the "composure with the puck" part, so I am really not adding anything at all. Nevermind.

KBF111

May 16, 2007
Yes, Ellerby has a cannon for a shot. Problem is, he rarely if ever shot the puck. Doesn't seem to have much common sense. Selfish, hot dog out there as well.

Fellow 19 year old Victor Bartley at this stage, is a much better D-man than Ellerby on both sides of the fence. Can't believe he didn't get drafted.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Yes, Ellerby has a cannon for a shot. Problem is, he rarely if ever shot the puck. Doesn't seem to have much common sense. Selfish, hot dog out there as well.

Fellow 19 year old Victor Bartley at this stage, is a much better D-man than Ellerby on both sides of the fence. Can't believe he didn't get drafted.

i guess you are not ellerby's biggest fan.

13o13

Apr 12, 2007
Just a little question here:
Do Alzner should be a better Nhl PLayer than Craig Rivet?
(Well, i'm talking about the Rivet i saw in Montreal : He has occasional brain cramps in the defensive zone, isn't skilled enough to lead the rush on offense.)
Yeah this is a description from Tsn ;).

And Ellerby could be a guys like Rivet maybe?

Stajan Fan

Jun 20, 2003
Daysland, Alberta
Visit site
Ellerby is the most overrated player in the draft, ands down. He is lost when he has to make any sort of decision with the puck in traffic, and along the biards in tight spaces. I have a feeling ,talking to a few local scouts that watch him regularly for their teams, said he will be the one guy who falls in the draft.

Expect Alzner, Shattenkirk, McDonagh, Petrecki, to go ahead of him for sure, and even Blum, Hickey, and Cross could o ahead of him. People will be in for a big surprise come draft day when Ellerby falls like a rock in water.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->