GDT: Kariya Jersey Retirement • 3:15 PM PT — BUF @ ANA • 5 PM PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
You have to appreciate Anaheim really going all out for Kariya - not only to retire his number but to also put a performance forward that will make Kariya think he's watching the Mighty Ducks of the 90's too.
Except the new Kariya is playing goalie rather than skating.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
So is Kariya's number going up in the old colors, as shown in the ad in the OP?

One has to think the Samueli's are seriously considering going back to the old colors and logo full time in a not too distant future.

His number should go up in the old colors, given that he played for the team during the Disney era and doesn't really have any connection to the post-lockout Samueli era.

But it wouldn't bother me if they reverted back to the old jerseys. Not just because of nostalgia (it represents my childhood and I think they're awesome), but because it's great for branding. It's a universally recognizable look. Even non-hockey fans who have no interest in the sport stop me in the street when I'm wearing a Selanne shirsey and say hey, I know that logo.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
Found my way into the building for the ceremony, stoked about it. Hopefully, the guys put on a good show and get 2 points.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
My earliest memory as a hockey fan at a game was the "Off the floor, on the board" goal. I was almost in tears when he was motionless on the ice, and then to come back so quickly and absolutely rip it by one of the best goalies of all time was something else. Still not sure if I've ever heard the building as loud as it was on that goal. There weren't/aren't too many guys his size that could/can fire it like he could.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
Psyched about the ceremony! Going to be lots of people chopping onions near me in Ponda tonight.
Not so psyched about the on ice product after the ceremony.

Brought the Vish jersey out of retirement from the back of the closet for tonight. Still have no idea what that Cyrillic chicken scratch he scribbled on my shoulder. Could be Cyrillic for "why Kevin Haller haff to be dick and take my number ..."

IMG 20181021 122528 — Postimage.org

IMG-20181021-122528.jpg

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
They've spent a lot of money rebranding to orange, so I'm going to say going back to the old colors full time will never happen. They've also had lots of opportunities to use the old mighty duck jerseys as 3rds but have never done it, including this year when it would have made the most sense. They invented a whole new one. They had what, one throwback game?

Doesn't really seem like they're headed in that direction at all.

The Mighty Ducks logo has been brought back multiple times. First as a shoulder patch, then on the crest for the orange 3rds, and now for the current 3rds where the triangle is colored in gray just as in the old home jerseys. They also have the teal and a bit of eggplant, and no orange on them.

The current 3rds are defenitely a big step back towards the old look. This is the 25th anniversary, so maybe they only last for one season, we'll see. We wouldn't be the first organization to go back to our old color scheme. Buffalo, Vancouver and Washington have all done it. If sales are good with these 3rd's, it adds reason for the Samueli's to reconsider slowly going back to the roots.

Last edited:

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Sold my tickets for this one. The prices were too good and kid doesn't like the more heavily attended games as much.

Very curious to see how the team bounces back from last night. They've bounced back well from multiple terrible games this year. The problem is it's only mid-October and we've already had to bounce back from a lot of terrible games.
Tickets are like 30 bucks.....

Reactions: Ducks DVM

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You have to appreciate Anaheim really going all out for Kariya - not only to retire his number but to also put a performance forward that will make Kariya think he's watching the Mighty Ducks of the 90's too.
One of the better posts

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The stadium is like 10% full and it's 15 mins til ceremony... What an embarrassment

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Tickets are like 30 bucks.....

I got almost double face for mine last week.

I'm gonna miss most of this one, will try to watch it on replay later. If they don't have a decent bounceback night like the last few times they played as awful as last night, I'll start inching toward the ledge of pessimism that is so popular these days.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
They've spent a lot of money rebranding to orange, so I'm going to say going back to the old colors full time will never happen. They've also had lots of opportunities to use the old mighty duck jerseys as 3rds but have never done it, including this year when it would have made the most sense. They invented a whole new one. They had what, one throwback game?

Doesn't really seem like they're headed in that direction at all.

They really aren't. I would argue they definitely should, but its very clear that they're committed to the color orange and their own designs.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think Stephens amongst others. There was a tweet about it and some article that mentioned it around the time we first wore our thirds, but I can't seem to track them down right now. I'll post it here if I happen to find it.

There was never any explanation offered for it, though, just an allegation that the league for some reason didn't okay that. Who knows why.
Please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->