Karamos: Gut feeling that season is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackdogs*

arnie said:
Dumb enough? Maybe if a few teams had the guts to do exactly that, players would quit holding out. Itis a matter of guts, not brains.
I couldn't agree more arnie, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Ottawa put the screws to Yashin but the reality of it is that situation did not help them one iota. They would have been much better off with him suiting up or the equivalent in trade. I think more owners would gladly play hardball with more players but the fans won't accept it. Imagine a player like Kovalchuk holding out and his team starts the year lousy... the fans will demand he is signed or traded. That's why I say no owner is dumb enough to let talent sit around and rot... fans are quick to get into an uproar to 'get the bum outta here!' There is PR in hockey, just not much of it.

Lanny MacDonald*

thinkwild said:
Players like Nabokov or Gaborik hoding out well into the season will find it harder to use that leverage if there is a drop dead date and they cant sign again until next year if the miss the 1st game. But if they choose to sit for the year, and wait, you wont be stopping holdouts.

That is very true, but by having the drop dead date you are able to manage expectations a littel better all around. Players know the urgency to sign. GMs know the urgency to sign. Agents know the urgency to sign. Fans know the urgency to sign. But the urgency to sign ends on drop dead date and the whole issue is put to bed for a full winter. No silly pressure on the team to sign the player to an over priced contract if the team struggles during the season. The player gets a winter off and gets to work on his needle point or something. Expectations are fair and outlined for all to follow.

mackdogs*

thinkwild said:
Or perhaps you kidnap a member of their family and hold them hostage unless he plays with full efort for you.

If a player doesnt want to play but wants a trade, and is willing to hold out until you do, you need some leverage to get something fair for him. The RFA compensation provides this.

Players like Nabokov or Gaborik hoding out well into the season will find it harder to use that leverage if there is a drop dead date and they cant sign again until next year if the miss the 1st game. But if they choose to sit for the year, and wait, you wont be stopping holdouts.
True, I made an assumption that no player would actually sit out the year. Players aren't known for their brains but with such a short period of time in which to play in this elite league surely they realize that they could never make up for one lost season. As of right now anyways they just couldn't recoup unless an Abramovich type comes in and saves them with a multi-million $$ deal. My idea assumed that no player would have the cajones/lack of brainpower.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
SSJTOM said:
Offer sheets? like the one the Rangers offered to Sakic and the one the Canes offered to Federov?

while those two remained with their teams that's still a possibility that another team can sign your players before they become UFA's, allthough it does have a price tag on it in compensation draft picks.

And teams realized the folly of that and it hasn't been attempted in what 6 years now ???

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
so these are the guys most fans trust and side with...

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/stories/20050102/FP_002.htm

The Kings fell into bankruptcy due in part to McNall's criminal activity.

The Buffalo Sabres went bankrupt in 2003, and former team owner John Rigas and his son were convicted of fraud for systematically lying to investors of their company, Adelphia Communications, the nation's fifth-largest cable TV business.

The NHL was also embarrassed after approving the sale of the New York Islanders in 1997 to John A. Spano Jr., a swindler who left a trail of bounced checks before dropping out.

Spano passed an NHL background check that cost the league $750. His deal to "buy" the team was for $165 million.

Scandal hit the Islanders again last fall, first when co-owner Sanjay Kumar was indicted on a string of federal charges including securities fraud. Next, Heather Jabick, a team accountant, was charged with doctoring the books to transfer almost $174,000 into her personal accounts. Kumar and Jabick have pleaded not guilty.

Also last fall, former Montreal Canadiens General Manager Irving Grundman pleaded guilty to municipal corruption after he was caught accepting $75,000 in bribes from contractors in the Montreal suburb where he is a city councilor.

Meanwhile, a tax case involving the Boston Bruins and owner Jeremy Jacobs -- a key supporter of NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and the lockout -- may make players wonder about the way teams account for hockey revenue, though no criminal charges were involved.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm not saying all owners are alike in this regard. But, these guys make me highly suspicous of their treu intentions given their murky record with the law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->