Karalahti

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
How can the NHL have any say in the Karalahti matter? He's no longer under contract to any NHL team, so I don't see how he could be suspended??? Besides, this is an international tournament for god sake!!!! This is just plain disgusting and brings NHL hypocracy to a new level. :shakehead

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Not only ended, but served..

Only penalty Jere didn't serve was the 6 month sentence of faith-lectures.. or whatever it was he was assigned to rehabilitate himself..

*wonders who wins arm-wrestling contest between Bettman and Kummola*

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Yes, Karalahti is never do enything bad expet for him self. What about Heatley and Bertuzzi? Heatley kill his team mate and Bertuzzi almost killed Colorados player Steve Moore and he want to hurt Moore badly. Why they can play in NHL? Karalahti was only drink some beer.

Ego

Mar 15, 2002
Slovakia
Visit site
I think the big problem would come with getting US visa for him when Finnish team makes the playoffs. He had to wait couple years for work permitt when LA wanted to sign him, because of his drug and alcohol addiction.
And whoops, he did it again.
US visa will be a huge problem for him and NHL probably just tries to avoid scandal.

Flonaldo

Ego said:
I think the big problem would come with getting US visa for him when Finnish team makes the playoffs. He had to wait couple years for work permitt when LA wanted to sign him, because of his drug and alcohol addiction.
US visa will be a huge problem for him and NHL probably just tries to avoid scandal.
No it isn't. Karalahti didn't complete the NHL's substance abuse policy (Christian singing camp or whatever) and now he's suspended because of it. Karalahti wouldn't have any problem obtaining a visa if he was able to get one when his drug sentence just fresh off the courts. Now he's been clean (well, at least in the eyes of the law) since then.

Apr 5, 2004
Helsinki
Ego said:

Ah, the land of the free. Jere had a beer or two on his summer vacation when he was playing for Nashville - that's just unaccetable. That disgusting ******* shouldn't be allowed to play hockey ever again. He's a threat to other players, he's a criminal. Actually he should be in prison! Now i'm looking forward to NHL to ban Olli Jokinen and Mario Lemieux for smoking. There's evidence that Jokinen smoked a cigar back in 1998. The only question is, whether to suspend him for two or three years. You never know, he just might do it again, and remember how dangerous smoking is.

And can you believe that Karalahti doesn't believe in God? The righteous men in Tennesee offered him help from God, but Jere refused because he just didn't know what was good for him. He's probably a terrorist too.

I've even seen Jay Bouwmeester drinking beer in a Finnish night club! I can't understand how the NHL doctors haven't noticed his terrible drug addiction. Poor guy, he must live a miserable life. He could be drinking Vodka tomorrow, so it's best to begin immediate treatment when it's still possible. And the longest suspension in NHL history too, of course.

That being said, I'm delighted that Heatley is playing. Things like that happen - c'est la vie. I'm sure good ol' Dany has learned from his mistakes, and it's not like he had a beer or anything serious.

Oh, almost forgot. I've heard rumours that Peter Forsberg tried Cider when he was back in Sweden, but I can't confirm this yet.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
Mario Lemieux smokes or is that a joke?

I think it's more or less known that Lemieux was a bit of a punk growing up and smoked for a while. No idea what he does now, considering all his health problems, I would be shocked if he still smokes, but Lemieux in his earlier years, did not take care of himself physically at all, and I've heard many times he smoked.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hossa said:
I think it's more or less known that Lemieux was a bit of a punk growing up and smoked for a while. No idea what he does now, considering all his health problems, I would be shocked if he still smokes, but Lemieux in his earlier years, did not take care of himself physically at all, and I've heard many times he smoked.

Correct. As a young player he was known for not being in the best of shape, as well as his smoking habits.

He's far from the only hockey player to smoke. Guy LaFleur was as smoker

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
TK79 said:
How can the NHL have any say in the Karalahti matter? He's no longer under contract to any NHL team, so I don't see how he could be suspended??? Besides, this is an international tournament for god sake!!!! This is just plain disgusting and brings NHL hypocracy to a new level. :shakehead
No, this is a NHL-tournament.

But I also think that Karalahti would be given the opportunity to play
for Team Finland at the World Cup.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ZeroTheHero said:
This is an exhibition tournament :P nothing of real value.

Although the Olympics are "sexier" the world Cup is the best true measure of International Hockey. A far better tournament than the Olympics or the World Champs.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ZeroTheHero said:
Nopes. It's not a value tournament that in any way changes international standings. Just an exhibition tournament.

I didn't say it was a "value" tournament, but it is the BEST tournament there is.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
IFK said:
Yes, Karalahti is never do enything bad expet for him self. What about Heatley and Bertuzzi? Heatley kill his team mate and Bertuzzi almost killed Colorados player Steve Moore and he want to hurt Moore badly. Why they can play in NHL? Karalahti was only drink some beer.

Seriusly man shut up about killing, Heatley and his best friend was in a car accident for christ sakes. Heatley almost died himself its not like he planned it. The player closest to killing S.Moore was Skratsnits jumping on his back when he was knocked out cold. Karalahti refused the NHL substance program thats why hes not aloud to play.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Askel said:
Seriusly man shut up about killing, Heatley and his best friend was in a car accident for christ sakes. Heatley almost died himself its not like he planned it. The player closest to killing S.Moore was Skratsnits jumping on his back when he was knocked out cold. Karalahti refused the NHL substance program thats why hes not aloud to play.

Karalahti served the suspension before being allowed to play in Finland.

Jere, who doesn't believe in a higher being, wasn't willing to attend hours of faith lectures where God was the cure for his alcoholism..

Any induvidual, should ahve the right to refuse having religion force fed to him. It's a basic human right, Jere excercised that right.

Apr 5, 2004
Helsinki
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Karalahti served the suspension before being allowed to play in Finland.

Jere, who doesn't believe in a higher being, wasn't willing to attend hours of faith lectures where God was the cure for his alcoholism..

Any induvidual, should ahve the right to refuse having religion force fed to him. It's a basic human right, Jere excercised that right.

In addition, he wouldn't have been allowed to participate in team training during that six-month "treatment" period. The whole program would have been more harmful than helpful. Taking away the one thing that you love the most - playing hockey, is an absurd method of treatment. Hockey, more than anything, is the best cure in such cases.

Can't really blame him.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
From ESPN.com: Karalahti, in the fifth month of a six-month suspension for violating the NHL's substance abuse policy, told the Los Angeles Times that he will likely not play in the NHL again.

Karalahti, 27, got a six-month suspension without pay two weeks ago for a third violation of the league's substance abuse policy.
He isn't sure whether he will be permitted to play even if he participates in a rehabilitation program.
''One option is to have the contract with Nashville terminated. Then I could play in the domestic league already this season,'' Karalahti said in an interview with Finland's TV4
Karalahti, who wrestled with drug addiction before playing in the NHL, said his current problems concern only alcohol.
''If I know myself at all, I know that zero tolerance with alcohol won't work,'' he said in the television interview.
''I'm not ready to go through the treatment program. There are other leagues in which to play in this world,'' Karalahti told the tabloid Iltalehti.

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/fhl/playernewsarchive?statsId=1980
http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2002/0830/1424994.html

These 2 stories were the only 2 I had read on the subject before, and they say nothing about religion just sais that he rather drinks a little alcohol and play in Finland than no alcohol and play in the NHL.

Then I just found this one: http://www.tennessean.com/sports/predators/archives/02/08/21316261.shtml?Element_ID=21316261
which talk about the christian stuff. NHL has a very strict treament program and drugpolicy and it would be a bad thing for the league image (in Bettmans view) if Karalahti was aloud to play this tournament.I to belive that you shouldnt have to listen to christianpropaganda if your an atheist.Right or wrong thats a different disscution, I just didnt like the fact that IFK called Heatley a murderer.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ZeroTheHero said:
It being an exhibition tournament makes it lesser imo.

It's like saying one would rather see an off-season game between the two best teams in the leagues instead of seeing a playoff game between two mid-league teams.

I disagree.

The World Cup is the only time that the countries are able to get together with their full compliment of NHL players and also have some practice time.

The World Championships can depend on what players decide to play and what NHL teams are eliminated, giving certain countries big advantages over others.

The Olympics and World Cup/Canada Cup are the only true best-on-best tournaments, and at the Olympics there is no practice time.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
But all teams have to play under your NHL-rules, your NHL-refs, in your NHL-rinks etc. Everything is set up so the NHL will look good and hopefully stage a final game between Canada and USA.

That´s why the World Cup never will be anything else that a fun exhibtiion tournament.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kronblom said:
But all teams have to play under your NHL-rules, your NHL-refs, in your NHL-rinks etc. Everything is set up so the NHL will look good and hopefully stage a final game between Canada and USA.

That´s why the World Cup never will be anything else that a fun exhibtiion tournament.

95% of the players participating in the World Cup currently play in the NHL, and are far more used to playing in NHL rinks and using NHL rules than they are playing on the big ice and under international rules.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
1897 said:
Oh, almost forgot. I've heard rumours that Peter Forsberg tried Cider when he was back in Sweden, but I can't confirm this yet.

As soon as you find out more, report back to us immediately. If that is true, Peter will not only be suspended, but shot at dawn.

Before he will be shot, we will join hands in a prayer for him, and a sister of mercy will visit him for the last time to see if he will accept Jesus.

I heard NHL officials are right now trying to make a rule that every alcohol/weed/cigarette using hockey player shall be executed without trial. They already have contacted everyone who was in team USA in Nagano, Bouwmeester (based on your testimony) and several others, like Karalahti. They are going to be sent to Quantanamo bay or that nice little jail in Iraq for interrogation...NHL will find out if they know of other people who needs to be brought to justice.

And then we will all sing:

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, for our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner forever shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kronblom said:
30 players so far out of 207 come from european leagues, it could have been 31/208 if Karalahti was allowed to play. That makes it close to 15%, still the majority are from the NHL - I know that.

But the head coaches aren´t used to this playing-format. Sure Hlinka tried his luck in Pittsburgh and some teams have assistant coaches that have played in the NHL but it could create some problems. I don´t say it will but it could.

You have to agree that this is a NHL-tournament, they even decide who get´s to sing the national anthem in the european arenas!

If they took out the Germans (the one team that has no chance to win) that number would be in the single digits.

Yes, it more of an NHL tournament that the others, but it is still the best tournament overall.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
John Flyers Fan said:
95% of the players participating in the World Cup currently play in the NHL, and are far more used to playing in NHL rinks and using NHL rules than they are playing on the big ice and under international rules.
30 players so far out of 181 come from european leagues, it could have been 31/182 if Karalahti was allowed to play. That makes it close to 17%, still the majority are from the NHL - I know that.

But the head coaches aren´t used to this playing-format. Sure Hlinka tried his luck in Pittsburgh and some teams have assistant coaches that have played in the NHL but it could create some problems. I don´t say it will but it could.

You have to agree that this is a NHL-tournament, they even decide who get´s to sing the national anthem in the european arenas!

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
John Flyers Fan said:
If they took out the Germans (the one team that has no chance to win) that number would be in the single digits.
Do they have to be in this tournament really? ;)

I wonder what kind of team Russia will have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->