Speculation: Kaprizov Coming To US

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Sure, but he's also a better player in the KHL now than he was a couple years ago.

Becoming a better hockey player helps you adapt to the NHL, believe it or not. Not saying he'd come in and become a star, but you know what i mean.

Not like it would hurt the Wild to try it out.

Russo actually brought up the question of signing another Russian to make the transition easier for Kaprizov. He didn’t point out Grigorenko specifically but I’m sure he was one of the players on his mind. Guerin said if they were going to do that it would have to be the right player and the right fit. I really doubt that’s Grigorenko.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Sure, but he's also a better player in the KHL now than he was a couple years ago.

Becoming a better hockey player helps you adapt to the NHL, believe it or not. Not saying he'd come in and become a star, but you know what i mean.

As it stands Minnesota's probably going to have to shed a forward or two next summer. It'd be hard to justify making more room for Grigorenko, especially since he'd be stuck down in the line-up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

A few things that would affect whether or not this would get a serious look:

Does Koivu re-sign or retire?
Does Kunin stick at center?
Does Eriksson Ek show some signs of life?
How does Staal look in his 35 year old season?

After this season, there could either be zero center spots open on the roster, or 2 spots open in the top 6.

Reactions: Chrisinroch

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

Is he still slow as molasses? Does he still shy away from physical contact at all costs? He's absolutely a talented player and has a mind for the game, but no coach wants to utilize a player that doesn't give their full physical effort, and Grigorenko's cons definitely weigh out his pros at this point.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
As it stands Minnesota's probably going to have to shed a forward or two next summer. It'd be hard to justify making more room for Grigorenko, especially since he'd be stuck down in the line-up.

That's assuming Koivu stays? I actually wouldn't be 100% sure about it. In a Finnish interview this summer he admitted to thinking about playing for other teams, and i'd imagine as he gets up there in age signing a 1 year deal on a top contender to play 3C isn't totally out of the question.

Rask might not even be a regular on the team this year, and his buyout next summer is relatively tame (1.3M for 4 years) for a player who is literally dead weight.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That's assuming Koivu stays? I actually wouldn't be 100% sure about it. In a Finnish interview this summer he admitted to thinking about playing for other teams, and i'd imagine as he gets up there in age signing a 1 year deal on a top contender to play 3C isn't totally out of the question.

Rask might not even be a regular on the team this year, and his buyout next summer is relatively tame (1.3M for 4 years) for a player who is literally dead weight.
I'd been thinking of Grigorenko as more of a winger than a center, at least in the NHL. We obviously have long-term holes at center, but if we look to fill them with Grigorenko... yikes.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Is he still slow as molasses? Does he still shy away from physical contact at all costs? He's absolutely a talented player and has a mind for the game, but no coach wants to utilize a player that doesn't give their full physical effort, and Grigorenko's cons definitely weigh out his pros at this point.

Why are you asking questions while also making present statements of said player ?

But no, he's obviously improved in those areas. You're not the best forward in the KHL playoffs by skating in mud and shying away from all contact.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'd been thinking of Grigorenko as more of a winger than a center, at least in the NHL. We obviously have long-term holes at center, but if we look to fill them with Grigorenko... yikes.

Is there an option out there that doesn't make you go yikes ?

While there's still time for next summer, there won't be much out there. I'd rather see if a (still young) guy like Grigorenko could turn into something good offensively, than give up assets for a meh veteran to desperately try and keep the boat afloat.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Is there an option out there that doesn't make you go yikes ?

While there's still time for next summer, there won't be much out there. I'd rather see if a (still young) guy like Grigorenko could turn into something good offensively, than give up assets for a meh veteran to desperately try and keep the boat afloat.

If there are literally no other options for us and we’re going into the season with Kunin, Eriksson Ek, Sturm and Rask as our centers, sure, it wouldn’t hurt to throw Grigorenko into the mix. But I’m sure that won’t be the case.

It’s also dependent on if Kunin or Eriksson Ek take any steps forward this year. Maybe they both turn into capable 2C’s by next season, then there’d be no point in trying Grigorenko.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
An obvious one? No, there isn't, which is why it's encouraging to hear that Guerin seems to be feeling things out even if we're still in pre-season.

I don't know about encouraging.. he's doing his due diligence which is part of his job. He could have discussions ongoing for a year about different players and not get anything done, that's pretty standard for any GM.

Im being a realistic in saying i don't see why any team would give up their good top 6 C in the next 12 months. There's Kyle Turris for obvious reasons, and Brayden Schenn who may or may not be available in the next UFA group (i guess Erik Haula too). That's all i can come up with, and i'd say im quite well informed with every team and what their center situation is/who might potentially be up and coming.

Thinking outside the box a little bit is a very realistic thing Guerin might have to do. Either you give a chance to a guy like Grigorenko, trade for a 3C like Tierney/Wennberg and hope he can up his game, or pull a rabbit with a winger converted to C like Domi.

But teams aren't going to gut themselves down the middle for anything the Wild has to offer.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If there are literally no other options for us and we’re going into the season with Kunin, Eriksson Ek, Sturm and Rask as our centers, sure, it wouldn’t hurt to throw Grigorenko into the mix. But I’m sure that won’t be the case.

It’s also dependent on if Kunin or Eriksson Ek take any steps forward this year. Maybe they both turn into capable 2C’s by next season, then there’d be no point in trying Grigorenko.

Pretty much.

Time will tell, this is a discussion to re-visit in the future i guess.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't know about encouraging.. he's doing his due diligence which is part of his job. He could have discussions ongoing for a year about different players and not get anything done, that's pretty standard for any GM.

Im being a realistic in saying i don't see why any team would give up their good top 6 C in the next 12 months. There's Kyle Turris for obvious reasons, and Brayden Schenn who may or may not be available in the next UFA group (i guess Erik Haula too). That's all i can come up with, and i'd say im quite well informed with every team and what their center situation is/who might potentially be up and coming.

Thinking outside the box a little bit is a very realistic thing Guerin might have to do. Either you give a chance to a guy like Grigorenko, trade for a 3C like Tierney and hope he can up his game, or pull a rabbit with a winger converted to C like Domi.

But teams aren't going to gut themselves down the middle for anything the Wild has to offer.
Based on what we know right now? No. But do things come up that force teams to make trades they wouldn't otherwise make? All the time.

Regardless, my point isn't that the Wild are swimming in options for centers. My point is that that's a much bigger problem and the solution isn't going to be dictated by who has history with Kaprizov.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I sure hope so. Would be a treat to watch him in the NHL, and the Wild are due for a forward superstar.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Guerin Is literally going over there in November. Kaprizov has been openly saying he wants to come over & his agent is from us. Guerin wouldn't be saying this of the deal to bring him over is not done.

Also Kaprizov literally hasn't renewed his contract which expires after the year in Russia. Also there's report, the team will have many people leave due to new ownership CSKA & the ownership can only afford paying players thousands of dollars.

Nah, they have the same owner, Rosneft, which can pay as much as players want, the problem is, the hard salary cap will take an effect starting from the next season, so KHL teams will be able to spend on salary no more than like $15M, when right now CSKA's budget is $30M+

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I wouldnt put it at "absolutely" when dealing with the KHL. Given how corrupt the league is, he could get an under the table offer for like $15 million per year tax free. Id say chances are high hell come over, as has been speculated. But nothing with the KHL is normal

Lol, what a bullshit. I'm not the biggest KHL fan like at all, but things you're talking about just aren't possible in the league. Just a single argument, why - other teams. They won't be happy with such a deal and just don't let it happen.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nah, they have the same owner, Rosneft, which can pay as much as players want, the problem is, the hard salary cap will take an effect starting from the next season, so KHL teams will be able to spend on salary no more than like $15M, when right now CSKA's budget is $30M+

In that case, he stands to make much more in the NHL, presumably.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Guerin Is literally going over there in November. Kaprizov has been openly saying he wants to come over & his agent is from us. Guerin wouldn't be saying this of the deal to bring him over is not done.

Also Kaprizov literally hasn't renewed his contract which expires after the year in Russia. Also there's report, the team will have many people leave due to new ownership CSKA & the ownership can only afford paying players thousands of dollars.

And the link you provided literally doesn't say he's coming to the US at the end of the season. (BTW how would one figuratively go to Russia?)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There has been a lot of worry, finger pointing, and angst about KK staying in Russia, especially as he has excelled in the KHL, but i have to think that his development path has been just about ideal both for him AND the Wild.

Pick the fruit when it's ripe, and not before.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Getting guys on ECL is the only way they'll be able to supplement their roster until Suter and Parise are retired and off the books. They shot themselves in the foot signing the Hobbit for that long too. Fletcher shoulda been fired before the draft and before UFA.

Fletcher hasnt been GM of the Wild since April 23rd of 2018. I think you mean Fenton.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
KHL regular season ends February 27th. CSKA are one of the favorites to win, especially with much changed team SKA.
The KHL season ends April 30th (the final possible day). - Wild regular season ends April 20th.

KHL regular season, KHL play-offs + international games; if/when CSKA goes all the way to Gagarin Cup ,
you are looking at 80-85 games (with easy play-offs route) without injuries. The maximum possible of games
he could play; 102 (62+12+28) 62 regular season games, 12 EHT games, 28 post season games.

After season celebration recovery, contract negotiations, visa... yeah sure, he might be ready something like...
for the 2nd round of play-offs,.....Wild are not gonna be there but....yeah. - No dice -

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I think Kaprizov eventually winds up in NYC. Minnesota will get some pretty nice pieces back including Brady Skjei. Maybe adding Buchnevich+ and Brodin to the deal. Wait and see

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->