Line Combos: Kapanen watch

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To be honest with you, I thought Kapanen looked like he at least carried the puck more than Matthews did during 5 on 5 play.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
Kapanen was the least of our worries last night. He jumped in front of a shot to block it, that doesn’t seem like fear to me? You should be looking at plekanec or brown or even Marleau who did zero. Marleau is another soft big guy,
Any of the bigger leafs forwards don’t throw hits at all. Marleau matthews and jvr.
That is where we are lacking, some size but with physicality but can actually play.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Kapanen is just sick. Well rounded player. Johnsson is another. When those two play more the Leafs will do better. As sick as it sounds, because the Leafs needs some depth if they're to go far. But, I hope Komarov is out for awhile.

unitedstars87

Jun 2, 2006
Kapanen is just sick. Well rounded player. Johnsson is another. When those two play more the Leafs will do better. As sick as it sounds, because the Leafs needs some depth if they're to go far. But, I hope Komarov is out for awhile.
Agreed with Kapenen and Johnsson. We look slow and soft. We just look intimated by Boston. I feel we need a big skilled guy or two for net presents. But those are hard players to find. Like a Perry in his prime or a Kesler type who can change the game with just getting in the other teams head by scoring and shutting them down defensively while also laying the body.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kapanen I think was moving @ 40km/h+ during that breakaway. That was McDavid speed with the puck even, I have not seen that speed and it exceeded Grabner for sure. I am almost certain if they put a gun on that he was 40+

Amazing. He needed a promotion to a better line during the season.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
It's incredible when you see the likes of Kapanen and Johnson giving their all and not giving a crap about what opponent they are facing. The guys that were boasting before the series are miserable.

Also love how Dermott is playing and handling the puck like a puck and not a grenade on his stick. I would like to see them give him a chance on PP since it can't get any worse, right?

Reactions: great and thewave

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
It's incredible when you see the likes of Kapanen and Johnson giving their all and not giving a crap about what opponent they are facing. The guys that were boasting before the series are miserable.

Also love how Dermott is playing and handling the puck like a puck and not a grenade on his stick. I would like to see them give him a chance on PP since it can't get any worse, right?

Did you see how well that Matthews line looked with them? They're both just as gritty as Hyman but even faster. Both can shoot and they can pass. I'm not even adverse to maybe having them together to start next season. Or if Grundstrom makes the team, something like;

Grundstrom - Matthews - Kapanen

Johnsson - Nylander - Marner

as our top 6. Nylander plays better at C IMO. Both Swedes can shoot which lets Marner play make and they all are fast.

Reactions: great

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Did you see how well that Matthews line looked with them? They're both just as gritty as Hyman but even faster. Both can shoot and they can pass. I'm not even adverse to maybe having them together to start next season. Or if Grundstrom makes the team, something like;

Grundstrom - Matthews - Kapanen

Johnsson - Nylander - Marner

as our top 6. Nylander plays better at C IMO. Both Swedes can shoot which lets Marner play make and they all are fast.

I don't mind that. Kapanen actually has spine unlike Nylander is showing right now. Matthews sure doesn't have it so between Grundy and Kappy, for sure that helps Matthews out a lot and should provide him space care of Kappy's speed. Looks good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad