Kapanen vs Ho-Sang vs Scherbak

Who would you take?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Never liked Ho-Sang, always felt his "skills" never matched up to his actual results. Haven't seen enough of Scherbak to make a definitive statement of him, but Kapanen for me when considering NHL success and from what I've seen of him.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'm going to come off like a homer but Kapanen, Ho-Sang, Scherbak in that order.

If Ho-Sang wasn't such a headcase, it would be him by a country mile. He's done himself no favours from back when he was a high schooler.

One of those 'could have been' prospects. He still has time and hopefully he uses it.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Ho-sang's ceiling is more valuable than Kapanen's floor IMO.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm going to come off like a homer but Kapanen, Ho-Sang, Scherbak in that order.

If Ho-Sang wasn't such a headcase, it would be him by a country mile. He's done himself no favours from back when he was a high schooler.

One of those 'could have been' prospects. He still has time and hopefully he uses it.

I don't even think the bolded would be the case. I don't think Ho-Sang's style of play translates well to professional hockey, where no matter how much skill you have, you can't dangle through 5 opposition players every time you want.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kapanen, I think he has a very likely chance of at least being a Grabner or Hagelin type player, with potential for more. His speed is utterly disruptive. The big thing for him will be does the game ever slow down mentally for him. If he can't start thinking the game at the speed he can play it, he has first line upside. If he doesn't, he a middle-sixer who can cause havoc with his speed and kill penalties.

I don't even think the bolded would be the case. I don't think Ho-Sang's style of play translates well to professional hockey, where no matter how much skill you have, you can't dangle through 5 opposition players every time you want.
To be honest, that play-style is sort of reflective of his personality issues. He tuned out coaches for years who wanted him to be quicker moving the puck, and not try to hold on forever looking for the highlight deke or pass. Maybe its a hockey-Iq issue, but it seems more like from at least the start of his time in Windsor he's been told not to do this and play a more team-oriented game and hasn't listened.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Yet Ho-sang has produced quite a bit more in the NHL than the other two...

GPGAPts
Ho-sang4361622
Kapanen558210
Scherbak2952 7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

GPGAPts
Ho-sang4361622
Kapanen558210
Scherbak2952 7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

And? None of those totals are impressive. Yet Kapanen adds more to the table when he's not scoring. Ho-Sang literally needs to be a point per game forward or he's just a liability out there more often than not.

Reactions: HavocWreaker

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
And? None of those totals are impressive. Yet Kapanen adds more to the table when he's not scoring. Ho-Sang literally needs to be a point per game forward or he's just a liability out there more often than not.
You said you don't think Ho-sang's style of play translates well to professional hockey. All I did was point out that, in an admittedly small sample size, offensively Ho-sang's style of play seems to be translating much better than the other poll options.

I think you're being more than a little hyperbolic when you say Ho-sang would have to score PPG in order to not be a liability. Regardless, I would take his ceiling over Kapanen's floor.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
You said you don't think Ho-sang's style of play translates well to professional hockey. All I did was point out that, in an admittedly small sample size, offensively Ho-sang's style of play seems to be translating much better than the other poll options.

And I stand by that, because Kapanen at least (haven't seen much of Scherbak, like I said already) can be an effective NHLer even if his offensive game doesn't materialize. Ho-Sang's entire game is built around being a one-dimensional offensive force, and so far, his offensive production in both the NHL and AHL is nowhere near the level it needs to be to offset his deficiencies.

I think you're being more than a little hyperbolic when you say Ho-sang would have to score PPG in order to not be a liability. Regardless, I would take his ceiling over Kapanen's floor.

How so? Ho-Sang doesn't bring anything other than offense. How many 1-dimensional players are regulars in the NHL who don't score roughly point per game? If you're hung up on the point per game thing, then lets amend it to around 70+ points, because anything less than that and players tend to quickly lose their spot in the lineup.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

GPGAPts
Ho-sang4361622
Kapanen558210
Scherbak2952 7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

a top 6 role really helps doesnt it? kapanen hasnt played a second of PP time

Kapanen has 67 pts in his last 71 AHL games (2 seasons)
Ho sang has 67 in 100

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Kapanen, I think he has a very likely chance of at least being a Grabner or Hagelin type player, with potential for more. His speed is utterly disruptive. The big thing for him will be does the game ever slow down mentally for him. If he can't start thinking the game at the speed he can play it, he has first line upside. If he doesn't, he a middle-sixer who can cause havoc with his speed and kill penalties.

To be honest, that play-style is sort of reflective of his personality issues. He tuned out coaches for years who wanted him to be quicker moving the puck, and not try to hold on forever looking for the highlight deke or pass. Maybe its a hockey-Iq issue, but it seems more like from at least the start of his time in Windsor he's been told not to do this and play a more team-oriented game and hasn't listened.

I’m sorry, but Kapanen does not have first line upside. Not everyone in Toronto has to be the second coming lol

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I’m sorry, but Kapanen does not have first line upside. Not everyone in Toronto has to be the second coming lol
He absolutely does in a complimentary role. Teams don't always put their 3 best players on the first line. I just watched a team with a player with an even more limited skill set (Tom Wilson), win the cup being on the first line.

Last edited:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
a top 6 role really helps doesnt it? kapanen hasnt played a second of PP time

Kapanen has 67 pts in his last 71 AHL games (2 seasons)
Ho sang has 67 in 100

In a vacuum you are totally correct. Compare the AHL teams both played on. Bridgeport has been devoid of talent(Snow ignored the team, they were awful with developing talent down there) with the exception of JHS and Dal Colle(and he is a best but is the only guy with any type of skill down there with talent, the rest are all scrubs).

JHS on the Marlie team probably goes over a point per game.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Kapanen > Scherbak > Ho Sang IMO.

Kapanen is an NHL'er who's elite speed will help him carve out a bottom six NHL role at a minimum. It's a tool that could see him higher in the lineup as well. He's good defensively and kills penalties, all of which will help him play a long career in the NHL.

Not too sure about Scherbak, but he seems to be close to being a reasonable NHL contributor for the Habs.

I don't really think Ho-Sang is an NHL'er. He may have more skill than either of the other two, but that's not enough. I'd bet on him heading to Europe before he makes an NHL squad full-time.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kapanen
Scherbak
Ho-Sang

In that order.

So far, Ho-Sang's attitude has proven to be as much of an obstacle to his career as predicted.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Kapanen doesn't have the highest ceiling, but he can be a nice bottom 6 PKer who can chip in 10 goals in a worst case scenario

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad