Proposal: Kapanen to CAR (not for Pesce)

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Not trading a top six winger for a late 1st and busting prospect.

Easy no from Toronto.

Fair enough, but...

Mckeown is far from a bust and is NHL ready. The only reason he’s still in the AHL is CAR’d obscene NHL RD depth. I absolutely do not see CAR moving Pesce or Hamilton this summer, and TVR/Faulk don’t get it done from a TOR perspective. Figured the 1st plus a young 3rd pair RD with potential along with solving a good bit of the cap issues that will come to bear this summer may be enough.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
I just want to see a team or teams hit Toronto with one-year offer sheets at the top of the 2nd round compensation bracket (probably around $4.2M) for Johnsson and Kapanen. Don't let them bring those guys back for relatively cheap.
Schattenfreude?

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I just want to see a team or teams hit Toronto with one-year offer sheets at the top of the 2nd round compensation bracket (probably around $4.2M) for Johnsson and Kapanen. Don't let them bring those guys back for relatively cheap.

Another consideration for TOR here.

There probably is a real danger of an offer sheet to Kapanen or Johnsson that would either put them in quite a bind capwise or in what they’d be getting back, potentially only a 2nd for a sheet around $4M. A 1st plus a good young RD looks a heck of a lot better than a 2nd or a 1st plus 3rd to me...

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We're not great trade partners, only player Leafs could really use is Pesce. I don't think anyone loves the idea of Faulk, and both teams seem to be in win-now mode.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Another consideration for TOR here.

There probably is a real danger of an offer sheet to Kapanen or Johnsson that would either put them in quite a bind capwise or in what they’d be getting back, potentially only a 2nd for a sheet around $4M. A 1st plus a good young RD looks a heck of a lot better than a 2nd or a 1st plus 3rd to me...
there's been 8 offer sheets signed in the cap era, and none in the last 6 years. Try to keep perspective on how big that threat is for complimentary level players.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I do not see a top6 winger.

I see a winger who's going to get paid because he rode 1st line w1 Matthews and piled up points with hiim.

Fringe top 6 talent but more accurate to say middle 6 talent. However, as always with the Leafs, they will call him a 3rd liner when they negotiate the contract but if they want to trade him, he is a top 6 forward. Same BS with Nylander.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
McKeown is probably a solid #6 and the 1st is in a mediocre draft.

Probably not worthwhile for a young middle 6 wing with great tools :)

*had to edit*

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
McKeown is probably a solid #6 and the 1st is in a mediocre draft. Not worth a 2C.

He's 3C because the Leafs have Matthews and Tavares. If you have centre talent like that, great, he's a good 3C for you and if you need a 2C, then he's a good player at a good cap hit. More effective at 2c IMO.

Um...what?

Asking for Kapanen here, not Kadri...

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
there's been 8 offer sheets signed in the cap era, and none in the last 6 years. Try to keep perspective on how big that threat is for complimentary level players.

This is true, but we also are also now seeing cap strapped teams with RFAs that are attractive for really the first time since the salary cap went into play. And it isn’t just 1 player, but teams with multiple players that they really don’t have room for cap wise. Usually you have to overpay dramically, but both Tampa and Toronto have real issues and team can make a reasonable offer that wouldn’t be a dramatic overpayment to get a player.

The acquisition cost is low. 4 million is only a 2nd rounder. Due to the increase in salary cap, and the low cost associated with offer sheeting in terms of Assets. I really think teams will go after Toronto’s secondary players.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
This is true, but we also are also now seeing cap strapped teams with RFAs that are attractive for really the first time since the salary cap went into play. And it isn’t just 1 player, but teams with multiple players that they really don’t have room for cap wise. Usually you have to overpay dramically, but both Tampa and Toronto have real issues and team can make a reasonable offer that wouldn’t be a dramatic overpayment to get a player.

The acquisition cost is low. 4 million is only a 2nd rounder. Due to the increase in salary cap, and the low cost associated with offer sheeting in terms of Assets. I really think teams will go after Toronto’s secondary players.
it's still a stretch to view that as a high likelihood event, Toronto isn't the first team in the last 6 years to be in this position, they're on the high risk end of the spectrum for a very low probability event

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
it's still a stretch to view that as a high likelihood event, Toronto isn't the first team in the last 6 years to be in this position, they're on the high risk end of the spectrum for a very low probability event

People are letting their personal feelings towards the leafs cloud their judgement.

I’d love to see it happen but it’s highly, highly unlikely.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think the value is fair. Maybe it would be more interesting to Toronto if it was a 2020 first. That way they could use the pick at next year's deadline to bring someone in.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Yup, just the Leafs. Not the Bolts or Jets who have even less cap space than the Leafs do.

The obsession with the Leafs with "neutral" fans is hilarious.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
They would only have to give up a 2nd if they offer sheeted him, don't see the Leads getting much more than that

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
They would only have to give up a 2nd if they offer sheeted him, don't see the Leads getting much more than that

The Leafs would match any offer-sheet that only required a 2nd round pick to be given. If the Leafs trade him, I think they will get more than a 2nd.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
The Leafs would match any offer-sheet that only required a 2nd round pick to be given. If the Leafs trade him, I think they will get more than a 2nd.
The Leafs can't afford to match a 4m dollar offer sheet as they have no cap space as soon as they sign Marner

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The Leafs can't afford to match a 4m dollar offer sheet as they have no cap space as soon as they sign Marner

There aren't only 2 options. The Leafs have other options to clear cap space if the so choose (Johnsson, Brown, Zaitsev, Nylander, etc...). Kapanen is likely to get at least $3M when he re-signs. An extra $1M isn't going to make Toronto make a dumb move.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Fringe top 6 talent but more accurate to say middle 6 talent. However, as always with the Leafs, they will call him a 3rd liner when they negotiate the contract but if they want to trade him, he is a top 6 forward. Same BS with Nylander.

You should see the crap Habs fans say about the value of Drouin. You'd almost think he was a point-per-game player throughout his career rather than the near bust 3rd liner he actually is.

Oops, you're one of them.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You should see the crap Habs fans say about the value of Drouin. You'd almost think he was a point-per-game player throughout his career rather than the near bust 3rd liner he actually is.

Oops, you're one of them.

You missed the point. My motives are about not devaluing Drouin beyond what it is. It's against exaggeration but you don't see that. You rather trade Drouin for a bag of pucks cause your a frustrated and this clouds your judgment.

Same treatment the Flames are putting on Monahan. He disappoints and there is always someone to blame. How about thinking of it this way? Move Monahan to 2C and try to find someone better than him at 1C? What about Drouin? Why not try to surround him with better talent that compliment his skills? Why do we expect Drouin to lead us or he sucks. Why exaggerate?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad