Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen sent down -- Gauthier called up

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Our 4th line was awful before we got Boyle and terrific after the trade so.....

Not true it was good with Goat. Gardiner to 1st pairing and Goat replaced Smith. Marner was slumping, Matthews broke out of his slump. We started winning, look at our record with GOAT.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I am pretty dissapointed that Kap is going down. His speed and tenacity had an impact on the game.

Again, we get slower. More room for the opposition.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I thought Gauthier was good enough in last year's showing.
I also thought he was good. He is not a draft pick under current management and I don't think they have a big loyalty to this player. Gardiner and Rielly are currently the only remaining D and Brown and Kadri will be the only 2 forwards after this year before Shanahan arrived.

*Nylander pick is an interesting one though, Shanahan was here and most certainly knew Nonis was on borrowed time as was the scouting staff and did not trust him. I'll guess Shanahan influenced this pick after talking to possibly Mark Hunter or other hockey people regarding the 2014 Draft.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I am pretty dissapointed that Kap is going down. His speed and tenacity had an impact on the game.

Again, we get slower. More room for the opposition.
Yeah but Gauthier going in over Moore isn't the problem. Kapanen should be in over Komarov or Martin

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Absolutely. JvR/Bozak too.

But the real problem remains on D.
Actually the real problem is up front. The Leafs have been struggling time and time again establishing possession in the offensive zone.

This whole defensive-zone grind-fest hockey lionized by Leafs fans is hardly the norm among top teams. Anaheim yes, but they're definitely a minority.

For that reason, Kapanen's demotion makes a lot of sense. He just isn't going to displace Komarov as he's far more involved defensively. Mind you, he's usually invisible offensively this season and that's probably not sustainable either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah I know but I figured with Matthews out he'd be the first candidate to take his spot considering that was the plan against VGK if Matthews couldn't go

Could still happen. They switched lines 6 times.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I’m trying to remember a specific quote or circumstance and it’s just not coming right now, but does anyone remember comments made by this management group about bringing young players up when they are ready to stay up and contribute? If I have this wrong I apologize but for some reason I think Babcock said it maybe last year?

If that is the case what are they doing with Kapanen? Is Freddy going to be given every chance to stick with a decent number of games now?

Yo-yo-ing these guys to and from the Marlies hurts their confidence. Why are they doing it?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
good for gauthier, cause fehr has looked solid enough for his role and aaltonen looked decent at camp, he must be playing well enough in the coaches eyes to get shot over them

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
babs been juggling lines like crazy lately yet somehow marner never ever with matthews or kadri, nylander is never at C...your making all these changes, so many different lines, never try anything we want to see

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Actually the real problem is up front. The Leafs have been struggling time and time again establishing possession in the offensive zone.

This whole defensive-zone grind-fest hockey lionized by Leafs fans is hardly the norm among top teams. Anaheim yes, but they're definitely a minority.

For that reason, Kapanen's demotion makes a lot of sense. He just isn't going to displace Komarov as he's far more involved defensively. Mind you, he's usually invisible offensively this season and that's probably not sustainable either.
I'm all for forwards playing 200ft, the more the merrier. But when I watch other teams play who have studs on D it's blatantly obvious.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I’m trying to remember a specific quote or circumstance and it’s just not coming right now, but does anyone remember comments made by this management group about bringing young players up when they are ready to stay up and contribute?

https://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/...ial-cup-jeremy-bracco-sheldon-keefe-d-j-smith

It was Babcock himself who only wanted players when they are ready, who were ready to make that jump.

In Kapenan's case, it may not apply. Babcock feels he's ready, but there's no room.

Guess everyone is waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I'm all for forwards playing 200ft, the more the merrier. But when I watch other teams play who have studs on D it's blatantly obvious.
The defensive group the Leafs have played, the very best ones were Carolina, Anahiem, St. Louis.

Every other team the Leafs played, their defense was a whole lot of meh.

That's the Leafs defense, a whole lot of meh.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Kapanen seems to be becoming that type of frustratingly inconsistent prospect/NHLer like Peter Holland or Joe Colborne. You know the type: the one with all of the tools to be an NHLer that some express disappointment over while others concoct grand conspiracies over.

With Gauthier in the lineup, kiss goodbye to 4 lines generating offense unless Babcock keeps Martin and Gauthier on separate lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad