Value of: Kapanen offer sheet of $4.000M

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
They match but I doubt it gets to OS territory. I think he's signing a 1 year deal and waiting for Marleau's contract to be gone before he cashes in. That's the smart thing to do.

Not really - that's the "nice" thing for him to do for Toronto. The "smart" thing for him to do is to get as much secured money as he can on paper right now to guarantee his financial future. However if he wants to stay in Toronto, that's probably not an option for him given their cap issues.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Leafs would absolutely match $4m for Kapanen, especially if there's any term on the deal at all. If they matched that they could trade him for way more than a second within 15 minutes. You'd need to be getting up into the $5m or $6m range to really give the Leafs trouble. Even then, they are probably better off matching and then trading that new contract. As a young player with a ton of speed and goalscoring ability he has a lot of value.

Except you can't trade this player for a year.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I would like Detroit to offer their 2019 2nd for Kapanen with the understanding that the Wings are planning to offersheet Kapanen for around 4 million.

If Toronto is worried about losing Kapanen to an offersheet, they could get an early 2nd round pick in this draft (where they don't have their 1st round pick) instead of waiting a year and not knowing where the pick will land.

One of the reasons that offer-sheets don't happen is because you set the market for your own team.

You offer Kapanen 4m for 44 points then Bertuzzi is getting 5 million, Athanasiou is getting 6M +, Mantha 5M+ and you run into trouble quickly.

Reactions: TheKingPin

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Leafs fans all think they will keep everyone a and everyone will take less money than they are worth. Pointless to even attempt this discussion.

Let's hear how Kapanen + Johnsson is worth 4M+ like I've heard all over. Lets see all these comparisons and logical thoughts collected and posted here.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Guy that can score 20 goals and be an elite PKer? $4 million is a bargain

Well, lets say you trade Nylander for Pesce after July 1st. Now you've done 2 things....you've upgraded the RHD position, and saved a chunk of cap to put toward signing Kapanen.

Canes aren't likely to trade Pesce for Nylander at this point. Teravainen has become a guy who can drive play for the second line, Svechnikov will probably get a first line gig next season, Necas looks about ready to make the jump and Aho will probably cost $8.5M a year. Would be far more efficient to keep Pesce at $4M and sign another $4M forward than devoting that cap space to one $8M player.

Last edited:

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Do all GM`s have a gentleman`s agreement to not offer sheet any player? I realize it`s a business but thought I heard that from one of the GM`s

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Do all GM`s have a gentleman`s agreement to not offer sheet any player? I realize it`s a business but thought I heard that from one of the GM`s

I’m pretty sure Paul Holmgren said his job became more difficult after the Weber offer sheet.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think right now a lot of GMs almost see it as the "nuclear option". I think teams are hesitant to do so because once you cross that bridge you make yourself a fair target. I think with the amount of really good RFAs we've seen recently, and how RFA deals have gotten richer that we might start to see more tossed around. It does however seem so far that its just an empty threat tossed around every offseason.

Reactions: slg1963

VHSRVHS

Mar 15, 2017
Toronto
What most people have failed to understand is that the Leafs can trade any of their RFAs at any moment without notice. They don't *have* to lose them to an offer sheet after July 1st. They can *easily* move them for very good value if they can't come to terms on contract extensions.

This offer sheet talk is getting silly.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
If Kapanen and Johnsson aren't signed by the draft, and a team is willing to offer a mid first for Kapanen, or a late first for Johnsson, the Leafs should accept.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
So what was the answer to the op’s question? Do Leafs match a 4M offersheet?

No because according to all the geniuses here the leafs will do one of the following....

1. Kapanen re-signs for 8 years at league minimum. He wants to be a leaf so bad he doesn’t care about money. If he could he would pay the leafs to play for them.

2. Trade Zaitsev or Marleau. No complications here at all. They may not get the best assets back but they are still valued around the league and any team would be lucky to have them and their contracts

Reactions: Give and Go

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Islanders should offersheet him...watching the series against the Canes, they could use some help.
My guess is that they score one tonight and are swept.
I'm sure they will try and address this problem before camp opens in September.
They can't count on Lehner/Greiss both having another career year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad