Proposal: Kapanen++ for Rickard Rakell

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
31 out of 31 teams take Rakell over Kapanen
oh for sure, I don't disagree. My point is its silly for the Leafs to add anything outside of a 4-7th round pick to compensate for the minor difference in value.
Its like comparing 1$ to 1.05$ sure everyone would take the 1.05$ but you won't see the guy with 1$ adding 50 cents to get the extra 5 cents

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Rakell has played in less games than Kapanen but more TOI this season and more PP time.

No idea why we would want to do this...

On one of the worst offensive teams in the league.

Rakell > Kapanen

ez pz.

Kapanen has also spent considerable time with Tavares, Marner, Matthews, and Nylander.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Rakell has 34 points on 141 goals scored (playing in 51 of 57 games). That means he's been involved in just over 24% of goals.

Kapanen has 32 points on 208 goals (playing in 58 of 59), meaning he's involved in a little over 15% of goals.

Neither guy should be THE guy on their line (though Rakell usually is) and are good complimentary wingers. If you swap them, those percentages probably get closer, but the point differential likely widens. I would rather keep Rakell barring a trade for an organizational need, which Kap is not (neither are lower draft picks or b level prospects). From Toronto's perspective, Kap would be better used to address a need (defense) rather than improving a strength.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
To me Rakell hold more value and it’s by a decent margin. Maybe you undervalue one of the players while overvalue the other. I think every team in the league would take Rakell over Kap.
I admit that Rakell has slightly more value. My point was that making a trade to go from 1$ to 1.05$ is lateral even tho the 1.05$ is worth more.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
dunno if you would call that playing.
Meh 20 year old dmen, itll take time for him to fully develop at NHL.

I think some Leaf fans have gone a bit over the top with his hype based on AHL.... but hell be a NHL dmen, and has a shot to become a top 4 at some point.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
To be fair, not a lot of 20 year old dmen have 3 years of AHL expierence.
Not a lot of defencemen had an AHL career at 18. The only 7 d-men who played more then 11 games in the AHL at age 18 since 2009:
Kylington
Sandin
Liljegren
Lindholm
Seider
Bjornfot
Rielly

Liljegren shouldn't have been in the AHL at that point. His numbers weren't great that year. The numbers are starting to come now. He has a higher point per game than Theodore, Dumba, Subban, Voynov, Barrie, Dunn, DeAngelo, Ellis, Weber, Hronek, and Josi did during their 20 y/o season in the AHL. (Most of them played the majority of the season there). Points aren't everything but there are some great offensive defencemen on that list.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
not a good argument, some of the top scorers are on teams with less GF than Tor.
Also why would Toronto add assets to make a trade that looks lateral at the moment.
Manson is where its at IMO
We have Kap/Johnsson/Kerfoot/2012 1st/Lilj/Sandin*/Robertson* to get the deal done.
if by 2012 1st you mean Morgan Rielly you’re out to lunch.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I admit that Rakell has slightly more value. My point was that making a trade to go from 1$ to 1.05$ is lateral even tho the 1.05$ is worth more.

Well I think the two players are further apart than you think they are, but it doesn’t matter cause if the Leafs move any forward it should be for blueline help.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Liljegren is not that good, starting to look like a bust.
Can you name the 20 year old or defenceman who are better in the NHL or AHL than Liljegren? I doubt youve seen any of his fantastic AHL play and I doubt youve seen a single minute of his NHL play either.
Always frustrating when the leafs have promising players, eh?

Onto the topic at hand, i could certainly see Ana moving Rakell but i think they would be looking for different futures.
Though, my probably unrealistic hope, is that they move Rakell and the leafs dangle Kappy as a replacement in a Manson deal. I think the cost is likely too high for a bubble team like us though.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Can you name the 20 year old or defenceman who are better in the NHL or AHL than Liljegren? I doubt youve seen any of his fantastic AHL play and I doubt youve seen a single minute of his NHL play either.
Always frustrating when the leafs have promising players, eh?

Onto the topic at hand, i could certainly see Ana moving Rakell but i think they would be looking for different futures.
Though, my probably unrealistic hope, is that they move Rakell and the leafs dangle Kappy as a replacement in a Manson deal. I think the cost is likely too high for a bubble team like us though.

Brannstrom, Hughes. Easy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad