Proposal: Kapanen + Ceci for Mayfield + Martin

Shawn Perry

Feb 26, 2018
Why would the Leafs give up on their star summer signing, their top 4 defenseman?? What is the world coming to??

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Sometimes I hate my own fanbase.

What kind of garbage overreactionary trade is this?

close it down

Jan 21, 2018
I'm not an Isles fan.

And I find it hilarious you think Cody Ceci could be traded for a "decent pick."

And I find it hilarious that you think a RHD on an expiring contract can’t be moved at the trade deadline for a pick. Playoff teams always look for insurance at the deadline, you’re telling me that none of the other 15 other playoff teams wouldn’t give up a pick for Ceci even if it means he’s sitting in the press box in case of an injury?

Even if you feel strongly that Ceci won’t fetch a pick, all you had to read is read the next 7 words of that sentence where i mentioned that the Leafs can just let him walk since he’s a rental. I like how you cherry picked the most irrelevant part of my post when the main point was to show that Ceci is a rental with no long term commitment.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Martin wouldn't be played under Babcock. He scratched him for basically 1/2 a season before he was dealt.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'm pretty sure the fancy stats people can tell that Mayfield was better than Ceci last year. It definitely is debatable but you're selling Mayfield short. Nearly 19 minutes a game is top 4 material. Just because Ceci played a ton on a horrible d on Ottawa doesn't make him a top 4 defenseman, nor does playing with a potential top Norris candidate hide his defensive shortcomings.

And contract does play a part in these types of trades. In a Cap world it's a huge difference. I would think a majority of GM's would value Mayfield over Ceci anyway but the deciding factor would definitely be his cheap salary, good production and cost-control.

We can agree to disagree. I would do Kapanen for Mayfield + a pick of some sort (2nd? 3rd?) as I like Kapanen's speed and PK ability and Mayfield alone doesn't cut it.

Ceci for Martin is pointless as both players will be looking for a new place to play next year and taking significant pay cuts.

Martin wouldn't report honestly if he got traded back. Babcock scratched him for 30 straight games and the playoffs in 2018.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And I find it hilarious that you think a RHD on an expiring contract can’t be moved at the trade deadline for a pick. Playoff teams always look for insurance at the deadline, you’re telling me that none of the other 15 other playoff teams wouldn’t give up a pick for Ceci even if it means he’s sitting in the press box in case of an injury?

No, I don't think playoff teams will want a defenseman of his ability. I think there will be much, much, much better options for teams looking for insurance available and I don't think any team with post season aspirations would want a defensive black hole like Cody Ceci.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
People with agendas posting that we have “soured in Kapanen after one mistake “ need to get a clue.

Kapanen is an asset and has been mentioned in trades for years, most recently for Pesce. Some of you really need to get a clue really.

The trade sucks for Toronto and it’s a no.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
People with agendas posting that we have “soured in Kapanen after one mistake “ need to get a clue.

Kapanen is an asset and has been mentioned in trades for years, most recently for Pesce. Some of you really need to get a clue really.

The trade sucks for Toronto and it’s a no.

Let's be honest here. If Carolina would take that deal I'm pretty sure Kappy would be playing for the Hurricanes by now and Dubas would've likely let Ceci walk.

That's not to say Kapanen isn't a good player, though. He's a fun player to watch and he is very good at what he does....obviously awareness isn't one of his strengths, though. :laugh:

Also, I don't watch the Isles all that much, but I think people are underrating Mayfield. He seems like a really solid defensive guy that the Leafs don't have and could really use. I wouldn't be upset by a Kapanen for Mayfield trade, although I think in a vacuum Kappy might have a little more value (broken stick incident nonwithstanding). No idea if it meets the Islanders' needs.

Ceci for Martin is where the value falls apart, unless we're doing it strictly for cap reasons I guess....Ceci's a reclamation project and I like Martin as a person, but that's an oof for the Leafs roster wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Let's be honest here. If Carolina would take that deal I'm pretty sure Kappy would be playing for the Hurricanes by now and Dubas would've likely let Ceci walk.

No kidding. That trade is heavily slanted in Toronto's favor. There would've been a significant add coming from Toronto if all they offered was Kapanen.

Also, I don't watch the Isles all that much, but I think people are underrating Mayfield. He seems like a really solid defensive guy that the Leafs don't have and could really use. I wouldn't be upset by a Kapanen for Mayfield trade, although I think in a vacuum Kappy might have a little more value (broken stick incident nonwithstanding). No idea if it meets the Islanders' needs.

Kapane would have more value and a pick would have to be offered as well (2nd? 3rd?). That being said, it's not that far off. So far Mayfield has proven to be a top 4 defensive defenseman, Kapanen has proven to be a 20goal scorer. In a vacuum, I'd take the defenseman

Ceci for Martin is where the value falls apart, unless we're doing it strictly for cap reasons I guess....Ceci's a reclamation project and I like Martin as a person, but that's an oof for the Leafs roster wise.

Guess that's what the OP was thinking. Makes sense, besides the fact that Martin (as pointed out) doesn't fit in with the Leafs makeup. It'd simply be to allow Toronto the opportunity to take on someone at the deadline if they're within range of Tampa/Boston or if they are ahead and want to further distance themselves from those two.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Guess that's what the OP was thinking. Makes sense, besides the fact that Martin (as pointed out) doesn't fit in with the Leafs makeup. It'd simply be to allow Toronto the opportunity to take on someone at the deadline if they're within range of Tampa/Boston or if they are ahead and want to further distance themselves from those two.

Perhaps, but if they are theoretically already gaining cap savings off of Kappy, I think I'd rather keep Ceci in the lineup. He's been decent, outside of the Montreal game...

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
What makes me sad is that I really wanted the Leafs to claim Mayfield off waivers 3 years ago.

Nope, needed the marchenko experiment

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Typical lil Domi, chirping from the bench, if he had any he would chirp when on the ice. Maybe one day just one day he will be half as tough as his dad.
Chirping from the bench? Just shows how little you know about him, unfortunately your little Kapanen went hiding behind the referee after he slashed Domi after the whistle. You could of learned how he fights if your player wasn’t such a p***y. Yeah half the player his dad was, i guess having his point total while having played less than 1/3 of his matches makes him worst than his dad.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
huh? why would the Leafs want Matt Martin? and give up a perfectly good winger in Kapanen to get him back? :facepalm: and Ceci for Mayfield? meh.

Savage isn't a Leaf fan. He posts nothing but ridiculous proposals and threads meant to stir the pot.

Ceci has been fine, at least measured against the expectations of "guy we had to take back to get rid of Zaitsev's contract."

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad