Proposal: Kapanen + Ceci for Mayfield + Martin

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
dont like the value, but kind of makes sense going forward... then we can afford to keep Muzzin @ 4.5/5 and Barrie at 7.5-8.5

Next Year:

Rielly - - - Dermott
Muzzin - - - Barrie
Sandin - - Mayfield

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Atta boy kappy! You ****ing idiot!

6049.png

LOL

Reactions: HOPE

Jan 21, 2018
It's pretty hard to characterize a deal as "good" when you're being saddled with Cody Ceci. The guy is terrible and makes way too much money. Nobody wants that guy in their top six and nobody wants to pay him that salary.

Saddled? He’s a rental signed for one year, which means you can probably trade him at the deadline for a decent pick, worst case you just let him walk. Are you just bringing up meaningless points to try and deflect away from the fact that Kapanen is more valuable than mayfield/Martin and fills a much bigger hole in your lineup than what either mayfield/Martin brings?

If you don’t feel Kapanen is easily the best player in this deal then that just further proves my point. Isles fans despised the Leafs well before they lost their franchise player, so I’m not surprised that there are actually Isles fans trying to decline this trade as if they weren’t receiving enough value or something nonsensical along those lines.

Reactions: JackFr

Jan 21, 2018
Not true at all. If there was a deal between the 2 teams that made sense. I’d be all for it.

So trading a defensemen and grinder, both which your team has an abundance of, for a middle 6 20G winger doesn’t make sense?

If Kapanen wore any other jersey you’d be all for this deal. I guess we’ll have to wait a bit longer before we can get some unbiased opinions from your fan base.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So trading a defensemen and grinder, both which your team has an abundance of, for a middle 6 20G winger doesn’t make sense?

If Kapanen wore any other jersey you’d be all for this deal. I guess we’ll have to wait a bit longer before we can get some unbiased opinions from your fan base.

No. You can never have enough defenseman. Especially on the right side. Add in the fact that Mayfield plays in the top 4 and plays tough matchups and is on a ridiculously cheap long term contract. You don’t just give that up. The islanders are deep on the wings at the NHL and prospect levels.

Kapanen is a fine middle6 winger but if the isles were to trade for a winger it would Have to be a sure fire proven sniper. That’s the only way it would make sense. That’s why they went so hard for Panarin.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
kapanen is by far the most valuable piece so thats an easy no

Jan 21, 2018
No. You can never have enough defenseman. Especially on the right side. Add in the fact that Mayfield plays in the top 4 and plays tough matchups and is on a ridiculously cheap long term contract. You don’t just give that up. The islanders are deep on the wings at the NHL and prospect levels.

Kapanen is a fine middle6 winger but if the isles were to trade for a winger it would Have to be a sure fire proven sniper. That’s the only way it would make sense. That’s why they went so hard for Panarin.

Ceci “plays in the top 4” too. I don’t see mayfield carrying a 2nd pairing line by himself, but you obviously know your team better than i do.

But i would love to hear why you feel the isles are deep at W at the NHL level, because that’s the position i assumed was your biggest weakness. Which of your wingers are better than Kapanen, is it just Bailey? I’d take Kap over Lee/Eberle when you factor in contracts. Regardless I’d say he would be your 4th best nhl winger right now, which is a bigger hole to fill than mayfield who can easily be replaced by someone like Dobson sooner than later.

There’s zero chance you are getting a 1st line sniper for mayfield. Even a 2nd line seems extremely doubtful. I am very curious to hear who you think you can land with Mayfield, i had no idea he was good enough to return a proven sniper which are worth their weight in gold.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ceci “plays in the top 4” too. I don’t see mayfield carrying a 2nd pairing line by himself, but you obviously know your team better than i do.

But i would love to hear why you feel the isles are deep at W at the NHL level, because that’s the position i assumed was your biggest weakness. Which of your wingers are better than Kapanen, is it just Bailey? I’d take Kap over Lee/Eberle when you factor in contracts. Regardless I’d say he would be your 4th best nhl winger right now, which is a bigger hole to fill than mayfield who can easily be replaced by someone like Dobson sooner than later.

There’s zero chance you are getting a 1st line sniper for mayfield. Even a 2nd line seems extremely doubtful. I am very curious to hear who you think you can land with Mayfield, i had no idea he was good enough to return a proven sniper which are worth their weight in gold.

Center is our biggest weakness organizationally. I don’t blame you when it comes to Mayfield. Most people outside of isles fans don’t realize how good he is his role. He plays 20+min against opposing teams top players and anchors the PK. Add in his contract and he’s really valuable. He’s also a tough SOB with a nasty side. Type of defensive Dman you want.

I never said Mayfield would bring in a first line sniper. I said if the isles were to trade for a wing, it would only make sense to get a legit goal scorer. Didn’t say anything about the value or what it would cost.

Lee, Bailey, and Ebelre are all signed long term. Beauvillier And Dal Colle are middle 6 and under
Team control. Then the isles have Wahlstrom Holmstrom and Bellows.

Down the middle it’s hust Barzal Nelson and Cizikas. Nelson is the isles #2 center but he should really be s #3. After that the only real center prospect we have is Koivula and he was just converted from wing last year.

Defensman Boychuck is declining and Leddy I believe will be traded. The isles have Dobson Aho and Wilde waiting in the wings.

Mayfield is a steady presence who provides everything Trotz needs him to provide.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
I mean, on the surface Kapanen for Martin looks like a good deal for the Isles but I do have one question. How is Martin's throwing arm?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Leafs are giving up the two best players in the deal

Ceci is not a better defenseman than Mayfield. Couple that with him being UFA at 4.5 a season while Mayfield's under team control for under 1.5m makes this an outlandish statement.

It's like saying Kapanen>>>>>>>>>>>Martin when it's really Kapanen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Martin

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Ceci is not a better defenseman than Mayfield. Couple that with him being UFA at 4.5 a season while Mayfield's under team control for under 1.5m makes this an outlandish statement.

It's like saying Kapanen>>>>>>>>>>>Martin when it's really Kapanen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Martin
I never said he had a better contract. I said he's a better player. At the very least it's debatable. Mayfield hasn't touched top 4 minutes in his career, so you can't really prove he's better than Ceci, who has already looked very good playing with a competent defense partner this season. (it would be like saying Casey Cizikas is a better center than Nolan Patrick because Cizikas was one of the best fourth line centers and Patrick was one of the worst top six centers last year)

Reactions: Saint Blue

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I never said he had a better contract. I said he's a better player. At the very least it's debatable. Mayfield hasn't touched top 4 minutes in his career, so you can't really prove he's better than Ceci, who has already looked very good playing with a competent defense partner this season. (it would be like saying Casey Cizikas is a better center than Nolan Patrick because Cizikas was one of the best fourth line centers and Patrick was one of the worst top six centers last year)

I'm pretty sure the fancy stats people can tell that Mayfield was better than Ceci last year. It definitely is debatable but you're selling Mayfield short. Nearly 19 minutes a game is top 4 material. Just because Ceci played a ton on a horrible d on Ottawa doesn't make him a top 4 defenseman, nor does playing with a potential top Norris candidate hide his defensive shortcomings.

And contract does play a part in these types of trades. In a Cap world it's a huge difference. I would think a majority of GM's would value Mayfield over Ceci anyway but the deciding factor would definitely be his cheap salary, good production and cost-control.

We can agree to disagree. I would do Kapanen for Mayfield + a pick of some sort (2nd? 3rd?) as I like Kapanen's speed and PK ability and Mayfield alone doesn't cut it.

Ceci for Martin is pointless as both players will be looking for a new place to play next year and taking significant pay cuts.

Reactions: WillyNy

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
This is very stupid, why not Ho-Sang and a low pick instead of Martin? I'm sure both sides would rather have that be the case.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Saddled? He’s a rental signed for one year, which means you can probably trade him at the deadline for a decent pick, worst case you just let him walk. Are you just bringing up meaningless points to try and deflect away from the fact that Kapanen is more valuable than mayfield/Martin and fills a much bigger hole in your lineup than what either mayfield/Martin brings?

If you don’t feel Kapanen is easily the best player in this deal then that just further proves my point. Isles fans despised the Leafs well before they lost their franchise player, so I’m not surprised that there are actually Isles fans trying to decline this trade as if they weren’t receiving enough value or something nonsensical along those lines.

I'm not an Isles fan.

And I find it hilarious you think Cody Ceci could be traded for a "decent pick."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->