Kapanen - Capable?

Point total for next season?

• Total voters

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
EDIT: Let's base this on pace if season is shortened.

There seems to be an array of opinion for young Mr. Kapanen. A lot stemming from the hefty price we paid. Where does the majority feel he will contribute next season? He has been a low 40's point getter for the leafs the last two seasons.

I myself feel he's a good candidate to be a 50-60 point contributor next to Sid. I am excited for his attributes and while normally not optimistic...
giphy.gif

I think he will end up somewhere between 45-55 points. I think the 50-60 points will be tough when he won't get PP time on the top unit. Although the second unit does get a fairly decent amount of time and Kapanen will have good point men such as Matheson and Marino. He should also have McCann and one of Rust or Zucker so that second PP unit should get points. So you could be right. I will be happy with the 45 points and anything over that will be a bonus. As long as he provides 40 even strength points and some PK points that will be great. Any points added on the PP is just a bonus.

I voted 50-60 points but only because it didn't have 45-55 points. That's what I see Kapanen doing this season. Since I was right in the middle I went up because I see Kapanen getting at least 45 points with Crosby.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
All depends where MS uses him and if the guy will get pp time or not.
I'm hoping close to 60 but I think we are looking more at 40- 50
I really thought Galchenyuk would have worked here and look at how bad he was. Hoping Kapanen is the complete opposite.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
40-50 point pace seems like a solid bet.

He's been in that range in his only 2 full seasons, and we really don't know what kind of PP opportunities he'll get...though his game doesn't seem well-suited to the "half-court".

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I know the reason that people advocate for KCK, it's because they want Guentzel to go back with Malkin, but you're not really putting Crosby in a position to succeed with doing that. Guentzel and Rust are the Penguins 2 best playmaking wingers, they shouldn't be together on the same line. Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen would likely have the same problems that Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis had, and what makes it worse is that Crosby isn't 26 anymore.

Zucker-Rust and Guentzel-Kapanen should be the wing duos. If you want Guentzel with Malkin, it should be Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen (or McCann-Malkin-Guentzel if you want to get funky). I've made this point before, but I don't get why people complain about Malkin getting the "short end of the stick" with linemates while also advocating for giving Crosby the "short end of the stick" with linemates.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Like basically everyone has said, his usage is the biggest question. Obviously JR sees him as being a top 6 player. However, Sully may consider using him on the 3rd and giving him more ice time by playing him on the PK and PP. Coming in we know that Kappy is good on the PK, but the team has a few good PK forwards. We know TB, Tanev and ZAR will play on the PK, but will Sully continue using Rust or will he use Kappy? If Poulin makes the team he likely won't be getting PP or PK time, so it wouldn't hurt to play him in the top 6. I am fairly confident that JR will want Sully to try Jake - Sid- Kappy which could be great, but I am not so confident that a Zucker - Geno - Rust line is the best deployment. We all know that Jake - Geno - Rust works very well, but Sid always gets what he wants, so this won't be an option.

I know they just moved a >$5M guy off the 3rd line, but there is an option to put Zucker there with McCann and Jankowski, Poulin, Tanev, Lafferty or Erod. There are so many options with this line-up that it is almost impossible to predict. If they are worried about 5v5 pts then they could load up the top two lines. If they are more concerned about the PP, they can spread the talent around and load up the PP's. Until we see a game or two predicting the lines is a crapshoot. So if we can't really predict how all the pieces are going to fit, it is next to impossible to predict what kind of point production we are going to see from Kappy. I think most of us can be confident that he could pace for 40pts but he may get as high as 60pts. Does Sully see him as a special teams player or a 5v5 player? Who knows.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I know the reason that people advocate for KCK, it's because they want Guentzel to go back with Malkin, but you're not really putting Crosby in a position to succeed with doing that. Guentzel and Rust are the Penguins 2 best playmaking wingers, they shouldn't be together on the same line. Zucker-Crosby-Kapanen would likely have the same problems that Kunitz-Crosby-Dupuis had, and what makes it worse is that Crosby isn't 26 anymore.

Zucker-Rust and Guentzel-Kapanen should be the wing duos. If you want Guentzel with Malkin, it should be Guentzel-Malkin-Kapanen (or McCann-Malkin-Guentzel if you want to get funky). I've made this point before, but I don't get why people complain about Malkin getting the "short end of the stick" with linemates while also advocating for giving Crosby the "short end of the stick" with linemates.

I understand your viewpoint but I get hung up on you saying Rust is a better playmaker than Zucker or even a definitively better player. I say this as a big Rust fan...maybe Rust is but its only one awesome season he's shown, still has to prove it wasn't a one and decline. All his previous years were hot and cold stretches limiting his effectiveness. He also seemed to hold Crosby back at times.

Zucker and Crosby had some interesting chemistry during last season. Personally our wing rank to me is Guentzel, Zucker, Rust, Kapanen to start.

That being said I would not be surprised to see Kapanen bloom into a better top 6 fwd than Rust.

Zucker-Kapanen is different than Kunitz-Duper. We all know the offensive limit Dupuis had...though Kunitz in his prime was a top line talent. Kapanen is 24 and coming into his prime, all signs point to break out IMO.

End of the day I'm at least excited for us to have a lot of speed and talent in the top 6. In reality all combos should be tried because who knows what combo this year will light it up.

We just need to cross our fingers Rust maintains a similar pace, Jake's shoulder doesn't ruin his shot, and that Kapanen takes a step forward.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I think Kapanen is going to play most of the season with Guentzel and Crosby.

He'll probably get 20-25 goals and 40-50 points. It's not bad production, most of it will come at even strength. I'm not so much worried about Kapanen's regular season production as I am his playoff production. 7 points in 25 playoff games worries me especially given the talent he was playing with in Toronto.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

As a huge fan of Rust, the last thing I would consider him is a "good playmaker".

I think the idea with Zucker and Kapanen is they mimic the Sheary / Hornqvist pairing from 15-16 in terms of forechecking ability and puck hounding with a little more finesse, speed and size.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean so much can change when the games start but on paper it just makes so much sense to keep the LW/C combos as Zucker-Crosby and Guentzel-Malkin. That’s the center each winger thrived with last season and I struggle to see it any other way as of right now tbh.

I doubt Sullivan does it though. I think he views Jake as a number 1 type option and will give him the Crosby spot and the extra shifts that come with that.

Not ruling out Kap getting PP1 time though. Has the tools for it at least (then again so did Chucky).

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I mean so much can change when the games start but on paper it just makes so much sense to keep the LW/C combos as Zucker-Crosby and Guentzel-Malkin. That’s the center each winger thrived with last season and I struggle to see it any other way as of right now tbh.

I doubt Sullivan does it though. I think he views Jake as a number 1 type option and will give him the Crosby spot and the extra shifts that come with that.

Not ruling out Kap getting PP1 time though. Has the tools for it at least (then again so did Chucky).

I have yet to hear a good argument truly against utilizing the lines that way. Both would get similar ice time being 2 #1 lines...

Guentzel-Malkin-Rust taking on other teams second D-pairings, we saw what they did to the best pairings...it would be unfair.

Zucker-Crosby showed great play off each other, he's fast and he finishes Sid's passes. Kapanen is high speed with some talent, can't see those two not opening the ice for Sid. Will teams choose to leave their 2nd pairing to cover Sid? Good luck if that's the route chosen.

I'd he open to other options but for me:

Sid-Rust never looked great for more than a moment here and there. Geno looks better with Rust.

Zucker-Geno didn't look as comfortable together. Granted it was very short so that may be unfair.

Now enter Sullivan...
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen

Just not what I want to see initially IMO.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I have yet to hear a good argument truly against utilizing the lines that way. Both would get similar ice time being 2 #1 lines...

Guentzel-Malkin-Rust taking on other teams second D-pairings, we saw what they did to the best pairings...it would be unfair.

Zucker-Crosby showed great play off each other, he's fast and he finishes Sid's passes. Kapanen is high speed with some talent, can't see those two not opening the ice for Sid. Will teams choose to leave their 2nd pairing to cover Sid? Good luck if that's the route chosen.

I'd he open to other options but for me:

Sid-Rust never looked great for more than a moment here and there. Geno looks better with Rust.

Zucker-Geno didn't look as comfortable together. Granted it was very short so that may be unfair.

Now enter Sullivan...
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen

Just not what I want to see initially IMO.

Sid walks into to Sully’s office with a smile on his face.

“Just a suggestion [not a suggestion], I’d like to play with XXXXX”

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

Part of me hopes Sid is a monster towards everyone behind closed doors.

Sully: 'Sid I've got this great idea to try Guentzel wit...'

Sid: 'With me. Thats what you were saying correct?' You know Michael you have such a beautiful family, it would be a shame if anything bad were to happen to them.'

Sully: I, I will put Guentzel with you.

Sid:
tenor.gif

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Part of me hopes Sid is a monster towards everyone behind closed doors.

Sully: 'Sid I've got this great idea to try Guentzel wit...'

Sid: 'With me. Thats what you were saying correct?' You know Michael you have such a beautiful family, it would be a shame if anything bad were to happen to them.'

Sully: I, I will put Guentzel with you.

Sid:
tenor.gif

I think it was Joey V who talked about him where he’s very passive and smiling but people just do it because it’s Sid. He’s not in demanding demeanour but I guess people just get intimidated because he’s the best and has so much influence in hockey.

Reactions: Flying Dego

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

in all seriousness— I’m sure both he and Geno just do it in between periods or on the bench.

“give me Dom next period” and Sully does so.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think it was Joey V who talked about him where he’s very passive and smiling but people just do it because it’s Sid. He’s not in demanding demeanour but I guess people just get intimidated because he’s the best and has so much influence in hockey.

I actually really hope he is with Malkin Guentzel that is.

I think Crosby Kap and Zucker line becomes this two way beast sicko mode line. That you have to play against and should be a net positive on the ice

Then Malkin and Guentzel go out and feast hopefully on weaker lines and just score.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Capable of? 60+ With Sid or Geno, things could click and he could go 30-30 pretty easy.

Likely? 40-50.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Looks like the majority has spoken...40-50 points for Kap. Thanks for participating...

Now for the next poll: Ceci: the most misunderstood defenseman

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If/when Kap finds himself on the 3rd line, I don't think it'll be entirely his fault. It'll be a familiarity/comfort thing. Geno's got Rust as his RW. Sid's hard to find guys to play with.

I still think the 3rd line is probably Kapanen's best landing spot. Does everything you want a 3rd line guy to do, and provides a much needed boost of speed/production. If he settles in and succeeds with Sid or Geno, awesome, but if he doesn't, all is not lost imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->