Kapanen - Capable?

Point total for next season?

• Total voters

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
EDIT: Let's base this on pace if season is shortened.

There seems to be an array of opinion for young Mr. Kapanen. A lot stemming from the hefty price we paid. Where does the majority feel he will contribute next season? He has been a low 40's point getter for the leafs the last two seasons.

I myself feel he's a good candidate to be a 50-60 point contributor next to Sid. I am excited for his attributes and while normally not optimistic...
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think he's a perfect replacement (and better option) for Hornqvist as the 3RW. Remains to be seen if he can play with Sid or Geno, I think his game is too squirrely personally, but I wouldn't be surprised if he worked in the top-6. Good player.

Still hate the price we paid though.

Reactions: cygnus47

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I think he's a perfect replacement (and better option) for Hornqvist as the 3RW. Remains to be seen if he can play with Sid or Geno, I think his game is too squirrely personally, but I wouldn't be surprised if he worked in the top-6. Good player.

Still hate the price we paid though.
What do you mean by too squirrely?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What do you mean by too squirrely?
Plays fast, but I don't think he thinks the game at the same speed as Sid. Probably works with Geno, if we want to move Rust up to 1RW. Sid's always been much harder to find linemates for since his game/style is so rigid and unchanging. Geno has always been way more pliable in his game.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
I'll go anywhere from mid 40s to low to mid 50s, depending on how much time and what unit of the power play he's on, if he's absolutely positively without a shadow of a doubt on Sid's line all year no if's and's or but's about it, and well he gels with Sid, and Jake, or Zucker or whoever.

Reactions: wej20

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It wont be an 82 game season so under 40 is a safe bet. Based on a full season I would pick 40-50

EDIT: Changed vote to 40-50 to match OP edit

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
20 goals and 50 points is my bet, but I'd be more willing to take the under there.

If there was a 45-55 option, I'd vote for that with no hesitation.

Reactions: wej20

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If he plays full-time with Sid or Geno, and it works, I think he could easily hit 60pts.

I just don't know if he'll work out in the top-6. I think he'll spend the majority of the season on the 3rd line, but between that and his top-6 time, I have him between 40-50pts.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Leafs fan here, who has seen lots of Kappy. It was hard for him to get a top 6 role (or top PP unit) with us, because we’ve got 2 really strong RWs in Marner and Nylander. We tried him briefly at LW, but he wasn’t good on his off side. Because of this, he’s played almost exclusively 3rd line at ES, and 2nd PP (lots of PK too, he’s very good on the PK). Some people think he simply has a 3rd line game, but I disagree, I think he’s well suited to a top 6 role, just had too much competition at RW on the Leafs. The last 2 seasons he’s scored at a pace of 43-46 points per 82 games, which is pretty good for that kind of usage.

If he plays with Sid or Geno all year, and plays mostly on the top PP, I think a pace of 60+ points per 82 games is very likely. If he bounces between the top 6 and the 3rd line, and plays on the 2nd PP unit, you’re likely looking at TML production, a pace of 40-50 points per 82 games. I think he’ll work better with Geno than Sid.

Also, I say “pace” because it’ll be a shortened season, and injuries often happen - predicting games played is a total crapshoot. But I do think he’ll score at a 60+ point pace, if he’s very consistently playing in the top 6 at ES, and on the 1st PP. He’s a talented guy with truly elite speed, good hands, and a good shot, plus decent physicality, compete and hockey IQ. His main weakness is that he’s not very good at slowing the game down, using his speed in strategic moments vs. trying to go 100% all the time. He’s vaguely like a more physical, less talented Kessel.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
If he plays full-time with Sid or Geno, and it works, I think he could easily hit 60pts.

I just don't know if he'll work out in the top-6. I think he'll spend the majority of the season on the 3rd line, but between that and his top-6 time, I have him between 40-50pts.

Do you expect Tanev or Sceviour to displace Kap?

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I picked 50-60 and I will be basing my answer on pace since it will be a shortened season by how much I don't know.

Won't be getting first power play time most likely so I imagine 60 is out of reach.

I see low 50 average with 25 goal pace.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Do you expect Tanev or Sceviour to displace Kap?
I expect the team to give Poulin every shot at making the team, and think he'd be best served on a line with Geno and either Jake or Zucker, so his production isn't relied on nearly as heavily.

Honestly, I could see any combination of things in the top-9. I'd personally try this out and see what happens;

Jake/Zucker-Sid-Rust
Jake/Zucker-Geno-Poulin/Kapanen (prefer Poulin so he's not relied on to be a primary production driver of his line in his first NHL duty)
McCann-TB-Poulin/Kapanen (prefer Kap because of the depth aspect, and the aforementioned Poulin thing)
Tanev-Jankowski-Sceviour

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Leafs fan here, who has seen lots of Kappy. It was hard for him to get a top 6 role (or top PP unit) with us, because we’ve got 2 really strong RWs in Marner and Nylander. We tried him briefly at LW, but he wasn’t good on his off side. Because of this, he’s played almost exclusively 3rd line at ES, and 2nd PP (lots of PK too, he’s very good on the PK). Some people think he simply has a 3rd line game, but I disagree, I think he’s well suited to a top 6 role, just had too much competition at RW on the Leafs. The last 2 seasons he’s scored at a pace of 43-46 points per 82 games, which is pretty good for that kind of usage.

If he plays with Sid or Geno all year, and plays mostly on the top PP, I think a pace of 60+ points per 82 games is very likely. If he bounces between the top 6 and the 3rd line, and plays on the 2nd PP unit, you’re likely looking at TML production, a pace of 40-50 points per 82 games. I think he’ll work better with Geno than Sid.

Also, I say “pace” because it’ll be a shortened season, and injuries often happen - predicting games played is a total crapshoot. But I do think he’ll score at a 60+ point pace, if he’s very consistently playing in the top 6 at ES, and on the 1st PP. He’s a talented guy with truly elite speed, good hands, and a good shot, plus decent physicality, compete and hockey IQ.
Galchenyuk, Pearson, Brassard and Perron's tenors here have left me skeptical about our prized acquisitions actually working out. Zucker producing has been a relief. So I'll believe it when I see it. I do like the trade though, ultimately. It was a hole that needed to be filled. Plus he's got youth on his side.

I think what will help him most is that there's apparently an opening on the left side of PP1. With him being a righty one-timer option, that bodes well. We just hired Reirden too, an established top PP coach.

Last edited:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I expect the team to give Poulin every shot at making the team, and think he'd be best served on a line with Geno and either Jake or Zucker, so his production isn't relied on nearly as heavily.

Honestly, I could see any combination of things in the top-9. I'd personally try this out and see what happens;

Jake/Zucker-Sid-Rust
Jake/Zucker-Geno-Poulin/Kapanen (prefer Poulin so he's not relied on to be a primary production driver of his line in his first NHL duty)
McCann-TB-Poulin/Kapanen (prefer Kap because of the depth aspect, and the aforementioned Poulin thing)
Tanev-Jankowski-Sceviour

I think Kap being a staple in the top 6 is way more likely compared to Poulin playing a significant role.

Don't get me wrong that'd be a great surprise but one I have a hard time seeing right now with Sully at the helm.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think Kap being a staple in the top 6 is way more likely compared to Poulin playing a significant role.

Don't get me wrong that'd be a great surprise but one I have a hard time seeing right now with Sully at the helm.
I hope Kapanen works, I just have a feeling he'll be on the 3rd line like a month into the season. That's not a bad thing, I've been keying in on him being a potential Hornqvist replacement for like a year, but we'll see what happens.

Again, I hope he excels with Sid or Geno (don't see the first as realistic, but the 2nd definitely). I also hope Poulin is allowed to play at the NHL level this season. It's either NHL or Junior, and I don't think he's got anything left to learn and there's no benefit to him tearing it up in a league he no longer belongs in.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Also, I say “pace” because it’ll be a shortened season, and injuries often happen - predicting games played is a total crapshoot. But I do think he’ll score at a 60+ point pace, if he’s very consistently playing in the top 6 at ES, and on the 1st PP. He’s a talented guy with truly elite speed, good hands, and a good shot, plus decent physicality, compete and hockey IQ. His main weakness is that he’s not very good at slowing the game down, using his speed in strategic moments vs. trying to go 100% all the time. He’s vaguely like a more physical, less talented Kessel.
Considering he is by all accounts good PK, he would be ideal as F1 on Geno's line, Rust can go then and play with Sid, If he can slow down defense transition for Geno, between him and Zucker they will get their 100 points pace plus geno's 80-90 that should be pretty darn good line

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Went 40-50 points. I'd be alarmed if he got under 40 given his history here, but I'm not anticipating him cracking the top power play, which I think makes it very difficult to get over 50. If he does, it won't be much. Unless he cracks PP1, in which case 60+ isn't out of the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->