Kansas City Scouts

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
The AFL is the exxception for merged leagues. The NFL doesn't count AAFC stats, NBA doesn't count ABA and NHL doesn't count WHA.

I thought the NBA counted ABA stats? I could've sworn that it was a big deal when Dr. J's ABA stats were counted finally a few years ago. I know the NFL doesn't count AAFC stats as official though.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They might have switched, but I remember for year there were unofficial tallies on players in both leagues (Dan Issel was 4th in scoring at one point).

I guess the NBA didn'[t want to surrender the titles in Largest Afro and most coke snorted.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Yes, the NHL, and their arrogance I guess, would not consider the stats of the WHA but that didn't stop them from making Gretzky ineligible for the Calder Trophy because he played in a professional league. Doesn't make any sense, does it?

I don't recall CTV televising a lot of WHA games. If you have some info on that, let me know. I do know their archive doesn't have any. Maybe an affiliate does.

There is a WHA DVD set that is in the works and will include a few complete games.
The paperwork still has to be done before production starts. The other DVD set in production right now is the 35th Anniversary of the Canada-Russia series that will include the Canada-Sweden game and maybe the game against the Czechs.

A future DVD project might be a set on the World Juniors and I would think the Piestany game would be included.

The '92 & '94 games with Canada do exist.

What I meant is the NHL disregarded the history of the WHA when it merged. Unlike the NBA and NFL, the NHL does not consider stats from the WHA games as career "NHL" stats. Ergo, Gordie Howe is even more behind Wayne Gretzky for career records. I didn't mean there was a conspiracy per se, but the NHL simply doesn't consider the Oilers, Jets, Nordiques or Whalers to have existed prior to the 1979-80 season.

I'm disappointed to hear that CTV did not save any of its WHA broadcasts. I hope that they at least hung on to their '92 and '94 Olympic hockey broadcasts. I'd love to see some of those Canada games.

What WHA set are you referring to? I'm not a WHA fan as the league merged with the NHL 3 years before I was born, but I am a Gretzky fan and would have loved to have seen more of his games from that 1978-79 season. I wonder if the Oilers had a local TV deal that season? If so perhaps that station may have copies of their games in some archive. As well, some of the CTV affiliates might have copies of WHA/NHL games in their archives that the network didn't keep. I'll have to do some checking and see what's available, but I'm sure you're probably right in this regard.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I don't recall CTV televising a lot of WHA games. If you have some info on that, let me know. I do know their archive doesn't have any. Maybe an affiliate does.

This isn't official by any means, but my dad told me that there used to be a WHA Game of the Week on CTV on Sunday evenings. I don't know much more than that about the broadcasts, such as how long it ran etc. But they did exist, unless that was a local thing due to Saskatoon's proximity to Winnipeg, as he said they mostly showed Jets games. Like I mentioned above, I was 3 years too late for even living during the WHA's run, hence why I'd be interested in seeing some games from then.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
What does the WHA have to do with the Scouts? The Scouts were a NHL expansion team.

I know that. If you read through the thread, you'd notice that a poster mentioned hockey on ESPN Classic and the NHL Network. I sort of brought this thread off-tangent by saying I wish those networks would get ahold of CTV's WHA broadcasts.

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
Are there any books in circulation about the Scouts? I recently bought an excellent book about the history of the California/Oakland Seals called "Shorthanded", great read and a ton of info on ex-Seals.

Reactions: Troy Treasure

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Scouts_uni.gif

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/kansascity/kcscouts.html

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
I am not sure if there articles (two links below) were posted from this past weekend. BTW, I think that is an error with the Bobby Hull reference.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/hockey/v-print/story/181496.html

Then the hockey began. And things started off badly for the Scouts. They had to play their first eight games on the road because of the American Royal — so they were 0-7-1 before they even played their first home game. Tough to build up much excitement.

Still, the first home game was a magical night. There were almost 15,000 people in the stands. Before the game, the winless Scouts were given a long standing ovation.

And they played their guts out that game and outshot a star-studded Chicago Blackhawks team (that team had Hall of Famers Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita and star goaltender Tony Esposito). The Scouts lost 4-3, but when it ended there was another standing ovation for the Kansas City players.

“What an amazing crowd,†Scouts coach Bep Guidolin said. He was called Bep because his mother spoke English with a thick accent, and she called her youngest son “Beppy†instead of “Baby.†The nickname was shortened to Bep. He, too, may have been hired for his name.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/v-print/story/181473.html

You must be thinking of Dennis Hull, as I believe Bobby was in the WHA at that point. Still had Pit Martin and Jim Pappin also.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
This isn't official by any means, but my dad told me that there used to be a WHA Game of the Week on CTV on Sunday evenings. I don't know much more than that about the broadcasts, such as how long it ran etc. But they did exist, unless that was a local thing due to Saskatoon's proximity to Winnipeg, as he said they mostly showed Jets games. Like I mentioned above, I was 3 years too late for even living during the WHA's run, hence why I'd be interested in seeing some games from then.
I am pretty sure Global televised a lot of the Toronto Toros games in the Toronto area.

Reactions: Tarantula

Muttley*

Played at the old Kemper Arena in KC. Which was "new" at the time.

Yep. It had a catastrophic roof collapse during a rainstorm in the late 70's, several years after the Scouts left Kansas City. Fortunately, it was empty at the time.

The History Channel featured it on their Engineering Disasters progarm. Kind of creepy because there was a major design flaw in the roof from the building's initial construction and it could have collapsed during a game or some other event.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
As well, some of the CTV affiliates might have copies of WHA/NHL games in their archives that the network didn't keep. I'll have to do some checking and see what's available, but I'm sure you're probably right in this regard.

CKND (now part of Global network) was the Jets local broadcaster for many years. they started in 1975. its a slim hope. :)

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Wow, there isn't a single Scouts ANYTHING on youtube. I find that pretty amazing, considering how many hockey clips from years back that are on there.

Unless you guys can find anything...?

CC Chiefs*

Interesting Scouts stat:

Best Record:
1974/75 (15-54-11, 41 pts)

Worst Record:
1975/76 (12-56-12, 36 pts)

Merritton

Aug 27, 2009
Wilf Paiement Remembered

Wilf Paiement never scored 50 goals in a season and he never had 100 points in a season, so maybe he doesn't get the attention he deserves. A guy with his size and his willingness to use it - who can score 30 goals a season and pick up a point a game - is precisely the kind of player every coach wants. A guy like Paiement was ideal for riding shotgun on a line with two offensive forwards who did not share Wilf's relish for physical play. Think of Vic Hadfield with a little more height and weight, and you've got Wilf Paiement.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
The Scouts were bad, but they didn't get much attention because their expansion brothers, the Washington Capitals, were record-setting bad!

The first season their only scorers were Simon Nolet and Wilf Paiement with 26. The team only scored three more goals than the Caps.

Defense wasn't the worst as Washington, Detroit and Minnesota allowed more goals.

They were last in penalty minutes with only 744; 210 fewer than the next highest team, so they didn't have much of a physical presence.

They were actually worse their second season, only four points better than Washington. Guy Charron and Paiement were their only 20-goal scorers, although two former Seals, Craig Patrick and Gary Croteau chipped in with 17 and 19 goals.

Denis Dupere was with them this season - after playing part of the previous season with Washington. Talk about experiencing the worst of both worlds!

I had forgotten Steve Durbano came over from Pittsburgh and got into 37 games. I'd like to see a pic of him in Scouts garb, would be a good one for the thread about "I can't picture so-and-so in that jersey..."

So there was nothing much to distinguish them in their two years in KC and sadly, there seems to be no game footage either. I don't recall their games versus the Isles or Rangers being televised here in NY. They did acquire some better players when they moved to Colorado, such as McDonald, Beck and Chico Resch.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Wilf Paiement never scored 50 goals in a season and he never had 100 points in a season, so maybe he doesn't get the attention he deserves. A guy with his size and his willingness to use it - who can score 30 goals a season and pick up a point a game - is precisely the kind of player every coach wants. A guy like Paiement was ideal for riding shotgun on a line with two offensive forwards who did not share Wilf's relish for physical play. Think of Vic Hadfield with a little more height and weight, and you've got Wilf Paiement.

Someone brought up an interesting idea a while back. What if Wilf Paiement and Clark Gillies (drafted two spots apart in 1974) had been drafted in the opposite order? To me, they seem like very similar players in terms of skillset and the role they (could have) played, so it's an interesting comparison seeing as they ended up playing their careers with teams on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Merritton

Aug 27, 2009
Paiement Vs. Gillies

Someone brought up an interesting idea a while back. What if Wilf Paiement and Clark Gillies (drafted two spots apart in 1974) had been drafted in the opposite order? To me, they seem like very similar players in terms of skillset and the role they (could have) played, so it's an interesting comparison seeing as they ended up playing their careers with teams on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Arrbez, I think you've come up with a great idea for a thread.

My mind reels at the thought of Wilf Paiement in Clark Gillies' skates on the New York Islanders' big line. While Wilf might not have been the fighter Clark was - at least in terms of win/loss percentage - I think whatever the Islanders might have lost in that area would have been made up in greater offensive performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad