Kansas City Scouts

Ogopogo*

Here is Denis Herron who was the goaltender for the scouts.he was a good goalie just like Gilles Meloche of the california seals but played on bad teams. Herron also played for pittsburgh and montreal.

Great photo of Herron!

I used a Scouts avatar for a while. I like many of the old teams/logos/uniforms of the 70s teams that no longer exist.

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City
The Scouts is my favorite all-time NHL logo. Many of the WHA logos rank among my favorite all-time...mainly the Crusaders, Raiders and Fighting Saints...if you ever get a chance to see the original jerseys up close either via the HHOF or personal collection the crests of the WHA are so intricate it's incredible.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
A few years ago, I came across a Scouts-Seals' game program from Kansas City at a collector's show (sports, other items). It was in a bargain rack. I bought it and have it somewhere in storage.

Another matter, the timing of the teams' existence is significant, but I recall the Scouts losing 10-0 games in both their years when they played in Philadelphia. IIRC, the Scouts got just one tie (one point) in 10 games played against the Flyers. Then, when they moved to Colorado, the teams met in the first round of the 1978 playoffs and Game 1 went to overtime and the Flyers won in the first minute. Doug Favell was incredible for the Rockies in that game and was picked as top star of the game.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com

A few years ago, I came across a Scouts-Seals' game program from Kansas City at a collector's show (sports, other items). It was in a bargain rack. I bought it and have it somewhere in storage.

Another matter, the timing of the teams' existence is significant, but I recall the Scouts losing 10-0 games in both their years when they played in Philadelphia. If I recall correctly, the Scouts got just one tie (one point) in 10 games played against the Flyers. Then, when they moved to Colorado, the teams met in the first round of the 1978 playoffs and Game 1 went to overtime and the Flyers won in the first minute. Doug Favell was incredible for the Rockies in that game and was picked as top star of the game.

That 1978 playoff game is shown on tv every once in a while and i do have the game on VHS. Doug Favell was incredible for the rockies in that game.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
That 1978 playoff game is shown on tv every once in a while and i do have the game on VHS. Doug Favell was incredible for the rockies in that game.

What TV? Where? I remember ESPN Classic showed it once -- the night of the Avs-Devils Game 7 because I think they had a Colorado sports weekend.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Played at the old Kemper Arena in KC. Which was "new" at the time.

Ogopogo - regarding the '70s uniforms, this one from the Caps first season (came in same time as the Scouts) was a bit much. White pants!

Reactions: Troy Treasure

ered7

Oct 21, 2006
It has morphed into the all-classic boxing channel, or so it seems.

Only in the US. In Canada it still shows classic hockey games. Maybe when the NHL, if it ever does get it going, the NHL Network (US) will show some of the old games of the Scouts, Rockies, and various other now-defunct NHL teams.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I am not sure if there articles (two links below) were posted from this past weekend. BTW, I think that is an error with the Bobby Hull reference.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/hockey/v-print/story/181496.html

Then the hockey began. And things started off badly for the Scouts. They had to play their first eight games on the road because of the American Royal — so they were 0-7-1 before they even played their first home game. Tough to build up much excitement.

Still, the first home game was a magical night. There were almost 15,000 people in the stands. Before the game, the winless Scouts were given a long standing ovation.

And they played their guts out that game and outshot a star-studded Chicago Blackhawks team (that team had Hall of Famers Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita and star goaltender Tony Esposito). The Scouts lost 4-3, but when it ended there was another standing ovation for the Kansas City players.

“What an amazing crowd,†Scouts coach Bep Guidolin said. He was called Bep because his mother spoke English with a thick accent, and she called her youngest son “Beppy†instead of “Baby.†The nickname was shortened to Bep. He, too, may have been hired for his name.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/v-print/story/181473.html

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Only in the US. In Canada it still shows classic hockey games. Maybe when the NHL, if it ever does get it going, the NHL Network (US) will show some of the old games of the Scouts, Rockies, and various other now-defunct NHL teams.

I doubt it. If/when the NHL Network comes on in the US it will be the same network seen in Canada. Seems to me the only defunct teams' games I've seen on that network are Nordiques and Jets games. Occasionally, I think they show a Whalers game from their '86 Adams Division playoff series with the Habs.

However, I would like to see more classic games from the '70s and '80s on tv. The problem is all games weren't covered back then, so the only major archive of NHL games comes from CBC and TSN (and to a lesser extent ESPN). That means that since the Scouts and Rockies were not major draws in Canada, they were largely ignored by Hockey Night In Canada.

What I wish the NHL would do is acknowledge the WHA's existence like the NFL has done with the AFL. Then we could see the CTV's archive of WHA games begin to be aired on the NHL Network. I'd love to see Gretzky's first pro game (if televised) or his first game as an Oiler. I'm sure at worse his first professional playoff game was covered, so that could be shown. Plus I'm sure a lot of fans would be interested in seeing the Jets' Avco Cup runs and Gordie Howe in Houston and New England.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I doubt it. If/when the NHL Network comes on in the US it will be the same network seen in Canada. Seems to me the only defunct teams' games I've seen on that network are Nordiques and Jets games. Occasionally, I think they show a Whalers game from their '86 Adams Division playoff series with the Habs.

However, I would like to see more classic games from the '70s and '80s on tv. The problem is all games weren't covered back then, so the only major archive of NHL games comes from CBC and TSN (and to a lesser extent ESPN). That means that since the Scouts and Rockies were not major draws in Canada,
They weren't major draws anywhere!

There are a few games out there of Gretzky lighting the Rockies up. And since they made the playoffs for a grand total of 2 games before moving to Jersey that rules out even more games. It's a shame but I would love to see an old Rockies game for the nostalgia.

OLYMPIA STADIUM

Apr 20, 2007
DETROIT MICHIGAN
groups.yahoo.com
Videos

However, I would like to see more classic games from the '70s and '80s on tv. The problem is all games weren't covered back then, so the only major archive of NHL games comes from CBC and TSN (and to a lesser extent ESPN). That means that since the Scouts and Rockies were not major draws in Canada, they were largely ignored by Hockey Night In Canada.

What I wish the NHL would do is acknowledge the WHA's existence like the NFL has done with the AFL. Then we could see the CTV's archive of WHA games begin to be aired on the NHL Network. I'd love to see Gretzky's first pro game (if televised) or his first game as an Oiler. I'm sure at worse his first professional playoff game was covered, so that could be shown. Plus I'm sure a lot of fans would be interested in seeing the Jets' Avco Cup runs and Gordie Howe in Houston and New England.

I have been told that HNIC did not save any kansas city scouts games on video. but a friend of mine has told me that he heard of a couple kansas city vs montreal games on video but the games are in french.i dont know if this is just a rumor or its true. you talk about the old AFL did they keep any games on video. i am looking for some 1960-1963 new york titans-jets games from the polo grounds.

Reactions: Troy Treasure

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Unfortunately, there are only a few complete WHA games that survived. The CTV archive would not have any. In fact, there is no CTV archive of any hockey games - WHA or NHL. The only complete game with Gretzky in the WHA is the final Avco Cup game. The NHL had no gripe with the WHA - most of the people working at the NHL weren't even around when the WHA was in existence - 30 years ago is a long time. It's a non issue.

If you are a WHA fan, then buy the WHA DVD set that is slated for release in the fall.

It's too bad but you won't be seeing any more 'new' classic games from the 70's because there are very few to show. And it had nothing to do with the Scouts and Rockies not being major draws. I don't know why people here think there is a conspiracy regarding certain teams and the WHA when there are more rational reasons to explain things.

Simply, the games from the 70's weren't preserved - not just the defunct teams.

And disregard the poster who keeps floating the rumour about the Kansas City Scouts games - that rumour is over 15 years old and has absolutely no basis in fact.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I have been told that HNIC did not save any kansas city scouts games on video. but a friend of mine has told me that he heard of a couple kansas city vs montreal games on video but the games are in french.i dont know if this is just a rumor or its true. you talk about the old AFL did they keep any games on video. i am looking for some 1960-1963 new york titans-jets games from the polo grounds.

What I meant by the NFL and AFL is that the NFL has combined stats for the AFL and included that part of their history as NFL history. I honestly have no idea if there's Titans/Jets games floating around, but I doubt it. I mean there's no complete copy of Super Bowl I left from what I remember.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The AFL is the exxception for merged leagues. The NFL doesn't count AAFC stats, NBA doesn't count ABA and NHL doesn't count WHA.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Unfortunately, there are only a few complete WHA games that survived. The CTV archive would not have any. In fact, there is no CTV archive of any hockey games - WHA or NHL. The only complete game with Gretzky in the WHA is the final Avco Cup game. The NHL had no gripe with the WHA - most of the people working at the NHL weren't even around when the WHA was in existence - 30 years ago is a long time. It's a non issue.

If you are a WHA fan, then buy the WHA DVD set that is slated for release in the fall.

It's too bad but you won't be seeing any more 'new' classic games from the 70's because there are very few to show. And it had nothing to do with the Scouts and Rockies not being major draws. I don't know why people here think there is a conspiracy regarding certain teams and the WHA when there are more rational reasons to explain things.

Simply, the games from the 70's weren't preserved - not just the defunct teams.

And disregard the poster who keeps floating the rumour about the Kansas City Scouts games - that rumour is over 15 years old and has absolutely no basis in fact.

What I meant is the NHL disregarded the history of the WHA when it merged. Unlike the NBA and NFL, the NHL does not consider stats from the WHA games as career "NHL" stats. Ergo, Gordie Howe is even more behind Wayne Gretzky for career records. I didn't mean there was a conspiracy per se, but the NHL simply doesn't consider the Oilers, Jets, Nordiques or Whalers to have existed prior to the 1979-80 season.

I'm disappointed to hear that CTV did not save any of its WHA broadcasts. I hope that they at least hung on to their '92 and '94 Olympic hockey broadcasts. I'd love to see some of those Canada games.

What WHA set are you referring to? I'm not a WHA fan as the league merged with the NHL 3 years before I was born, but I am a Gretzky fan and would have loved to have seen more of his games from that 1978-79 season. I wonder if the Oilers had a local TV deal that season? If so perhaps that station may have copies of their games in some archive. As well, some of the CTV affiliates might have copies of WHA/NHL games in their archives that the network didn't keep. I'll have to do some checking and see what's available, but I'm sure you're probably right in this regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->