Kansas City Penguins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Squiddy said:
Where does pittsburgh fit into your rant? They are trying to get a new arena, but no one is questioning their viability to draw.
The thread name is Kansas City Penguins :dunno: they didn't draw too well BC (before Crosby) did they? BTW the Preds game was sellout last night :teach:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Squiddy said:
Why? Because no one cares about the AHL except for the odd person like you... It's the minor leagues... and if you think the AHL/IHL has anything to do with getting a pro team you are wrong my friend. No body cared about the Minnesota moose, but they love the wild!!!

Excuse me, Squid but this is Hockey's Future need I remind u, why does this forum have a section for these other leagues, hmmmmmmm if no one cares about the minor leagues Aren't the Aeros considered 'minor league' regardless of what league they were in in either the IHL, WHA, and currently the AHL are these minor league franchises???????

As compared to the 30 NHL teams if they didn't have another league or 2 or 3 TO DRAW PLAYERS FROM the last 8 DECADES or so, WOULD THE NHL be the league it is, PROBABLY NOT.

Now I'd like to see what your definition of minor league is.

Are the following cities considered 'minor league':

Albany, Binghamton, Bridgeport, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, GR, Hartford, Hershey, Houston, Des Moines, Lowell, Manchester, Milwaukee, Manitoba, Norfolk, Omaha, Peoria, Philadelphia, Portland, Providence, Rochester, SA, Springfield, Syracuse,Toronto, WB/Scranton not to mention the ECHL, CHL, AND SPHL/UHL franchises that currently exist

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Gnashville said:
KC seems to be the only viable relocation option.
Portland, Seattle, Houston, Milwaukee, all would have to share the building with NBA thugs which mean 1/2 the revenue stream. Winnipeg you would have 15.5K per night @ 80 to 90 cent on the dollar with higher taxes and less luxury suites. IMO KC would probably land a NBA team before a NHL because most owners are going to wait it out in their current markets for atleast 10 more years with the new CBA. Pitt will get the new building and Nashville and Carolina are starting to win and grow their fan bases.
This ain't really an issue in Portland. The Trailblazers get virtually no revenue from the Rose Garden other than actual tickets sold - no luxury boxes, no concessions, no advertising, etc. When Paul Allen gave up control of the Rose Garden through the bankruptcy courts (to get out from under onerous construction debt) he gave up all of those revenue streams. The T-Blazers are now just tenants in the Rose Garden with possibly the worst lease in professional sports.

All those revenues now go to the new ownership group formed from areana debt holders and the management company (a subsidiary of Comcast) they hired to operate the arena. The new management company is looking to fill more arena dates, has extensive ties to the NHL, and would probably be able to cut a reasonable deal to lure a prospective NHL team.

This ain't an issue in Houston either, where Les Alexander (owner of the Houston Rockets and primary leaseholder on the new Toyota Center) has expressed an interest in the Pens or other relocated club - he would just be splitting revenues with himself.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
kdb209 said:
This ain't really an issue in Portland. The Trailblazers get virtually no revenue from the Rose Garden other than actual tickets sold - no luxury boxes, no concessions, no advertising, etc. When Paul Allen gave up control of the Rose Garden through the bankruptcy courts (to get out from under onerous construction debt) he gave up all of those revenue streams. The T-Blazers are now just tenants in the Rose Garden with possibly the worst lease in professional sports.

All those revenues now go to the new ownership group formed from areana debt holders and the management company (a subsidiary of Comcast) they hired to operate the arena. The new management company is looking to fill more arena dates, has extensive ties to the NHL, and would probably be able to cut a reasonable deal to lure a prospective NHL team.

This ain't an issue in Houston either, where Les Alexander (owner of the Houston Rockets and primary leaseholder on the new Toyota Center) has expressed an interest in the Pens or other relocated club - he would just be splitting revenues with himself.
Good points but why would you pay a city 30+ million move a team from it to another city when you aren't going to get a better deal than you already have

Transported Upstater

Gnashville said:
Good points but why would you pay a city 30+ million move a team from it to another city when you aren't going to get a better deal than you already have

Gnashville, you have excellent patience...

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
AdmiralPred said:
Who does what with the Kemper or the other sports venues, that's a question for those who follow those teams. Does Anschutz have any interest in the football or baseball stadiums?

Kings co-owner Ed Roski, the one never talked about who is also a billionaire, was interested in bringing an NFL team to Los Angeles at one point a few years ago but the team ended up going to Houston. I believe Anschutz Entertainment Group has looked at the possibilities of building an NFL stadium in LA and they've decided it's not worth the hassles dealing with the city council and then the NFL requirements that the stadium must be built with almost all public funds. Staples Center cost over $400 million to build and they only received about $70 mil in public funds, about $57 mil of which have to be repaid. Using public money to build a stadium isn't going to fly in LA, which is part of the reason LA has no NFL team today.

As for a baseball stadium, I could see AEG perhaps being interested in building a new stadium for the Dodgers if they try to get a new stadium in Los Angeles. Dodger Stadium was built in 62 so sooner or later their ownership will start saying they need a new stadium.

AEG's new big project is "LA Live". They're building a massive entertainment/shopping district across from Staples Center. They're building like a 55 story hotel, 7000 seat theater, broadcast facilities, shops, restaurants. It's a $1.7 billion project. The Kings really are a small part of the AEG empire.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baske...712.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Gnashville said:

Yeah you really do have an excellent point.. :biglaugh: Good for nashville to sell out a game after a good month. Now lets see if it will take em atleast half the time to do it again. BTW Pittsburgh supports a good product on the ice...

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Squiddy said:
Yeah you really do have an excellent point.. :biglaugh: Good for nashville to sell out a game after a good month. Now lets see if it will take em atleast half the time to do it again. BTW Pittsburgh supports a good product on the ice...
The Predators have Sold out 1/3 of their home games this season yet you continue to gripe. How many American markets can claim that? So the Pens fans are smart hockey fans and Preds are in a bad market. So after the worst labor dispute in pro sports history fans are supposed to come back with open arms (even with a winning team)? Why are the Blues, Sabers, Ises, Bruins, Blackhawks, heck over half the league strong markets, they don't sell out every night?

Answer me this simple question if you are making money drawing 13000 (the Preds worst year ever) every per night why would you pay 30 mil+ to move?
I have give up trying to convince you, if the Preds draw 17700 a night you would claim the should be drawing 22000 to prove to you that it's a strong market. You are too bitter and full of hate and jelousy for me to continue to argue with.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Gnashville said:
The Predators have Sold out 1/3 of their home games this season yet you continue to gripe. How many American markets can claim that? So the Pens fans are smart hockey fans and Preds are in a bad market. So after the worst labor dispute in pro sports history fans are supposed to come back with open arms (even with a winning team)? Why are the Blues, Sabers, Ises, Bruins, Blackhawks, heck over half the league strong markets, they don't sell out every night?

Answer me this simple question if you are making money drawing 13000 (the Preds worst year ever) every per night why would you pay 30 mil+ to move?
I have give up trying to convince you, if the Preds draw 17700 a night you would claim the should be drawing 22000 to prove to you that it's a strong market. You are too bitter and full of hate and jelousy for me to continue to argue with.

I bet you love using statistics like "1/3" because it does sound better, but to use it this early is kind of pathetic. Why not just say we sold out 2 games this season? Stop buttering it up! It's good you guys sold out 2 whole games and congrats, but will the trend continue? If not things probably won't work out, but if they do than... Long live the south.... errr..... Nashville.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Squiddy said:
I bet you love using statistics like "1/3" because it does sound better, but to use it this early is kind of pathetic. Why not just say we sold out 2 games this season? Stop buttering it up! It's good you guys sold out 2 whole games and congrats, but will the trend continue? If not things probably won't work out, but if they do than... Long live the south.... errr..... Nashville.
I am tired of this bitterness, hatered and jelousy. Squiddy is going on ignore to save myself from a heartattack. It's sad it came to this too many positives going on with my team (including attendance) to dwell on the negative. Don't feed the troll ignore him.

Last edited:

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
I knew it. I turn my back for one short weekend and this thread degenerates into a Squid v. Preds thread-of-the-week.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Squiddy said:
Wow one game move over toronto! Nashville is the new Hockey Mecca :sarcasm: ... Didn't you sell out opening day and get solid attendance for the next game? Then what happend? Like I said we'll let the attendance next week speak for itself. I'd rather not get stuck into this conversation again because it really is pointless and redundant.
No more Nashville talk in this thread. It is off topic.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
That's all he knows how to post. He's a troll, which is why he's been banned from the np main boards.

uhh.. I have never even been to np boards I have no idea what that even is. If you are talking about the Nashville Predators message board why would I go there? There's no purpose of going there since I don't even care for the predators in any way. Besides it's you nashville fans that usually bring up Nashville in everything by using comments like... "we should move them to houston :sarcasm: " If you don't like to hear what I have to say why do you continue to argue with me? Instead you call me a troll and notify the mods probably. It's my opinion and i'm sorry if you don't agree with it, but quite frankly I don't care.

Last edited:

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:

Capt.%20Obvious%20Banner...%20kinda%20big.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad