Kansas City Penguins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Squiddy said:
Yes that's it.. move a team from one small market to another small market. :thumbu:

What does makrket size have to do with anything anymore? A salary cap makes sure all the teams can compete and be financially healthy, or so I'm told.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
cup2006sensrule said:
Pittsburgh can support NHL hockey... thus it makes no sense to move them to a pretty similar sized market that doesn't have the history that Pitts does. The NHL has been in Pitts since 1967, that is 38 years of History. When Lemieux and the Pens were dominating the league winning cups to my understanding they were even bigger than the Steelers and Pirates in that market. It would be stupid to move them now. They will eventually get a better arena.

I am a minority in thinking that the NHL could (even should) expand. Houston and Kansas City, Portland, Winnipeg are viable markets that could support NHL hockey. The only teams in the NHL that are question marks are Carolina, Nashville, Columbus and Phoenix but I believe all 4 can support NHL hockey however all 4 are worse markets than the 4 teams I mentioned. If you look long term over 5-8 years I believe expansion to 32 teams is likely and the movement of at least 1 of the 4 franchises I mentioned is possible. (but not probable)

No the NHL should not expand.. and yes Pittsburgh can support a team, but that is not the issue here. The arena is the only issue.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Is the article saying that KC wants a team (not news) and suggests the Pens if they don't have a new arena (not news)? So, basically its unsubstantiated speculation?

I thought there was a jihad on these threads.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
I still belive that if the Pens were to move, Mario would have to be bought out. Mario knows that he owes it to the fans in Pittsburgh that as long as he is the majority owner of the club, the team has to remain in Pittsburgh. If they don't get some sort of an arrangement for a new arena within the next 18-24 months, he'll probably sell a significant part of his stake.

Now if the Pens were to move, I doubt it will be to somewhere like Kansas City or Houston. A name long associated with Pens rumors will pop up again (Cuban or Allen). If it's Cuban, the team stays in Steeltown, if it's Allen, say hello to the Portland Penguins. With the new CBA, picking up a franchise is not the losing proposition it once was.

I think Kansas City has a better chance of getting the Blues to relocate to KC than they do the Pens.......

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
vespajet said:
I still belive that if the Pens were to move, Mario would have to be bought out. Mario knows that he owes it to the fans in Pittsburgh that as long as he is the majority owner of the club, the team has to remain in Pittsburgh. If they don't get some sort of an arrangement for a new arena within the next 18-24 months, he'll probably sell a significant part of his stake.

Now if the Pens were to move, I doubt it will be to somewhere like Kansas City or Houston. A name long associated with Pens rumors will pop up again (Cuban or Allen). If it's Cuban, the team stays in Steeltown, if it's Allen, say hello to the Portland Penguins. With the new CBA, picking up a franchise is not the losing proposition it once was.

I think Kansas City has a better chance of getting the Blues to relocate to KC than they do the Pens.......

How about the name Les Alexander? He has been trying to buy a team for quite some time... longer than the other 2 guys.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
So, question:

Would they do a documentary around the move, sort of a "March of the Penguins II"?

jb**

vespajet said:

Mario doesn't owe the fans anything, they wolud owe him by not supporting the team in its time of need.

It is all about the almighty dollar and considering all the money he lost because of the Pens, don't think for 1 second he wouldn't consider selling if the right offer came along even if it meant moving the team.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
Squiddy said:
How about the name Les Alexander? He has been trying to buy a team for quite some time... longer than the other 2 guys.

I doubt the NHL would want that loon to be an owner. I normally wouldn't make put politics into this type of discussion, but this is a guy who uses his NBA team to promote his own social and ethical agendas. He has the team's dancers wear pro-animal rights shirts at times, the catered media meals are usually vegetarian, he puts ads for PETA in the game programs, and the foundation he started and runs has donated money to an animal rights group that earlier this year had six members charged by the Federal gov't on terrorism charges. This is not the kind of person the NHL would want owning one of their clubs.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
vespajet said:
I doubt the NHL would want that loon to be an owner. I normally wouldn't make put politics into this type of discussion, but this is a guy who uses his NBA team to promote his own social and ethical agendas. He has the team's dancers wear pro-animal rights shirts at times, the catered media meals are usually vegetarian, he puts ads for PETA in the game programs, and the foundation he started and runs has donated money to an animal rights group that earlier this year had six members charged by the Federal gov't on terrorism charges. This is not the kind of person the NHL would want owning one of their clubs.

Hey he's rich... and he controls his own arena in one of top ten tv markets in the US that the NHL is NOT a part of. However if you are judging why the NHL wouldn't want someone to own a team how about that idiot mark cuban? All he does is talk smack and does crotch chops infront of cameras.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
hockeytown9321 said:
What does makrket size have to do with anything anymore? A salary cap makes sure all the teams can compete and be financially healthy, or so I'm told.
Haven't heard that from you in a while.
:sarcasm:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
vespajet said:

Paul Allen will have NOTHING to do with the Penguins (or any other NHL team). His name keeps popping up in there rumours, but he has continually and publically stated that he has no interest at all in the NHL. If he did, he would have gotten an expansion team way back in the first round of '90's expansion.

In fact, up until this year, Paul Allen was the biggest obstacle to the NHL coming to Portland. He was the owner of the Rose Garden arena where his NBA Portland Trailblazers were the primary tenant, and he had no interest whatsoever in sharing the arena.

That has all changed now. Earlier this year, he lost control of the Rose Garden through bankruptcy. His ownership group corporation which controlled the Rose Garden declared bankruptcy to get out from under the burden of construction debt. The Rose Garden is now owned by a consortium of debt holders who hired a subsidiary of Comcast/Spectacor to manage it. Now Paul Allen and the T-Blazer's are just tenants with a really sh*tty lease - all of the luxury suite, parking, and concession revenues go to the new arena owners, not to the T-Blazers.

The new arena management company is actively looking to book dates in the Rose Garden and have good connections with the NHL - it is the same company that manages the <whatever the hell the new Spectrum is called these days> in Philly, where the Flyers and 76ers play, and it's parent company owns the Flyers and OLN.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
RangerBoy said:
If you bothered to read the article,you would have read Leiweke was in Kansas City yesterday morning for a breakfast with the Kansas City business leaders and other people associated with the new arena.60 of the 72 luxury boxes have already been sold at $110,000-$115,000 a pop.The individual responsible for operating the building names the Penguins as a possibe tennant and that's not news.Not idle speculation by a writer:shakehead

I'm pretty sure that he meant that it isn't news that the Pens will be gone if they don't get an arena deal done in a short period of time.

Last time I checked, the Pens have a lot of dogs in the race for the slots parlor. It helps that Ted Arneault is a buddy of Mario's (I think), and has been associated with the Pens before. He is bidding for the license seperately from the Pens, and said he would earmark a certain percentage of the profits for the new arena, prompting some others in the race to do the same. There was one that didn't, the parking garage people (don't know names), but I haven't checked in a while and don't care to.

Anyways, it looked relatively decent a little while ago, but who knows what could happen when politicians get involved. The city shouldn't be dumb enough to let them leave, but they probably are.

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
it makes no sense to move them to a pretty similar sized market that doesn't have the history that Pitts does. The NHL has been in Pitts since 1967, that is 38 years of History.

To be fair and with due credit, the Penguins have 38 years of history.

Pittsburgh was in the NHL also from 1925-1930.

Pro hockey in Pittsburgh has over 100 years of history...

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=160163

It would be the biggest hockey crime in hockey history to move this team over an arena that the city is going to get eventually one way or another.

:loony:

Last edited:

MacDaddy TLC*

hockeytown9321 said:

The salary cap may cause a team to move. Think about it: The players and the owners are all partners now. Salaries are tied to revenues. Big revenue teams have to help the little guys. If a team continues to draw poorly and not pull their weight, can you not see the potential for a few of the Good old Boys to start applying some pressure on the owner of the weak franchise to pull up shop and locate somewhere where there is greater potential to earn some green? Can you not see the players union putting some pressure by having players refuse to sign with the weak team in hopes of pressuring the same way the owners do? The salary cap is not the be all for the small markets, but it might be the end all. A small market city will only work if there is a solid hockey fan base. ie: Football and the Green Bay Packers.

Claypool_*

Skworch said:
Can you not see the players union putting some pressure by having players refuse to sign with the weak team in hopes of pressuring the same way the owners do?

Players are going to go where they can get the most money. Players aren't going to give up millions of dollars. :biglaugh:

MacDaddy TLC*

Claypool said:
Players are going to go where they can get the most money. Players aren't going to give up millions of dollars. :biglaugh:

You doubt that the thugs of the NHLPA couldn't convince these knuckle draggers to do for the greater good of the PA? :biglaugh:

Tokyo Bucks

Jul 27, 2005
tokyo
According to this site:
http://www.citypopulation.de/World.html

Pittsburgh has 2.4m residents, KC 1.9m, and Oklahoma City 1.2m, while Houston has over 5.3m residents.

Are KC and Oklahoma such fast growing markets with high income and enough corporations that can afford NHL tickets? I'm not sure how Pittsburgh's urban renewal is going, but from a pure market point of view Houston does look like the best option (and then you can have the Battle of Texas :P ) But with the history in Pittsburth, my sentiment wants the Pens to stay. Plus it's colder than KC, OC, or Houston, right? (This argument works in favour of Winnipeg, yeah :D )

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
There's pretty much speculation the Pens will move to any hockey center. A couple years back I was in Winnipeg and a little kiosk in a mall was selling Winnipeg Penguins merchandise. Now, maybe there's a Winnipeg Penguins Jr.B team, or something like that, but otherwise, that's a pretty ballsy move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad