Kane with 4 goals and 3 assists tonight!!!

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
woot. go kane. He is pretty damn good. saw him for the first time here in ottawa when i went to see the knights-67s game. he is really good

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
For all you people saying that Pat Kane racks up points in meaningless minutes with the Knight's, look again. 20 of their games have gone into overtime and a ton of one point regulation wins. They are anything but a powerhouse. Most of Kane's points have meant a lot to the success of the Knights (ie another first place finish) I can count the number of blow out wins on one hand.

Pat Kane is better then any Knight (at his stage of his career) from the past 5 years - better then Nash, Perry, Schremp, Bolland, Fritsche etc etc. It's not close (although it helps Kane that he hasn't had to grow into a body like some of these prospects).

Forget the comparison's to Rob Schremp and how Schremp lead the lead in scoring last year. Pat Kane is waaaaaay better then Schremp ever was.

He did it in minor hockey, broke Phil Kessel's records with the US program, and has now lead the OHL is scoring as an 18 year old - including 62 goals in 58 games. He's the real deal. Crap you can't teach nor explain. Fun to watch and has talent coming out is butt. An NHLer for sure. How good he will be will all depand on Pat Kane.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
The real reason they had him out there that much is London is paying Erie back for the hit on Sam Gagner which gave him a concussion... also Kane was chasing a London Knights record of goals in a season held by Dave Lowry at 60 I believe Kane wanted to beat that...

dino ciccarelli had 72 i believe.

but kane is the first knight in 20 years to hit 60. :yo:

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
. He's the real deal. Crap you can't teach nor explain. Fun to watch and has talent coming out is butt. An NHLer for sure. How good he will be will all depand on Pat Kane.

this is spot on- i watch games and the kid is so smooth with the puck its unreal...hes got an amazing first step and magical hands. me only qualm with him is that he always wants to roof the puck. (its worked anyways).

what makes him so great is that he is a pass first player and still has such sick sniper instincts in close.

if you get a chance to watch him- do it.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
Hey ISS, what's your opinion of where he'll play next year? He obviously has nothing more to prove in the OHL, and would it just stunt his growth if he went back to London next year? He would have to play in either the OHL or the NHL, not the AHL, right? I'm a Flyers fan, so I'm interested to see if they'd pick him, and immediately insert him into the lineup, or if they'd opt to pick Turris, who can spend a few years at Wisconsin.

Nothing to prove? Offensively, sure, I agree with you. However, it's a big jump to the NHL from junior.

If Kane doesn't make the NHL next year, he can work on adding strength and getting better defensively. Improving in those areas will be something that will help him make a smoother transition to the NHL. Actually, as soon as this season ends, he can start improving his strength and conditioning. (This is not to knock his conditioning, but every drafted player needs to improve their strength and conditioning. The NHL is a grind and the first thing kids realize when they go to NHL camps is how supremely conditioned most of the players are. It's lesson #1 for most kids.

As for where he might go, I would think just about any team that would draft Kane -- Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Columbus, Chicago, Washington or Phoenix seem the likely candidates -- would be helped by adding an offensive sparkplug on right wing. Chicago and Columbus, especially, would be a good fit for him to move right in. They're the two lowest scoring teams in the league. Philadelphia and Phoenix also are low-scoring (below 200 goals right now). L.A. and Washington aren't hurting for offence like the others, but sure, they could use him next year.

Really, though, it's up to Kane. He has to show up at camp in shape and prove himself again. He's going to be playing against players who are bigger, stronger and faster than he's played against in junior. He's a smart player, though and he'll adjust, the question is, how long will he need?

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
For all you people saying that Pat Kane racks up points in meaningless minutes with the Knight's, look again. 20 of their games have gone into overtime and a ton of one point regulation wins. They are anything but a powerhouse. Most of Kane's points have meant a lot to the success of the Knights (ie another first place finish) I can count the number of blow out wins on one hand.

Pat Kane is better then any Knight (at his stage of his career) from the past 5 years - better then Nash, Perry, Schremp, Bolland, Fritsche etc etc. It's not close (although it helps Kane that he hasn't had to grow into a body like some of these prospects).

Forget the comparison's to Rob Schremp and how Schremp lead the lead in scoring last year. Pat Kane is waaaaaay better then Schremp ever was.

He did it in minor hockey, broke Phil Kessel's records with the US program, and has now lead the OHL is scoring as an 18 year old - including 62 goals in 58 games. He's the real deal. Crap you can't teach nor explain. Fun to watch and has talent coming out is butt. An NHLer for sure. How good he will be will all depand on Pat Kane.

I agree w/ Kane being better than Schremp, Perry, Bolland at 18, but Nash i'm not convinced. I believe Nash was only 17 in his 2nd season and at 18 was in the NHL. Kane's birthday is late and that IMO has helped him a bit.

If Kane were put on that gawd awful team in 2001-2002 and Nash on this year's team the points totals would possibly favor Nash. And the game is much more offensive today than 5 years ago.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Hey ISS, what's your opinion of where he'll play next year? He obviously has nothing more to prove in the OHL, and would it just stunt his growth if he went back to London next year? He would have to play in either the OHL or the NHL, not the AHL, right? I'm a Flyers fan, so I'm interested to see if they'd pick him, and immediately insert him into the lineup, or if they'd opt to pick Turris, who can spend a few years at Wisconsin.

The Flyers traditionally like guys from the CHL. Going back the names are few and far between where 1st round picks weren't from either the OHL or Q.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON

This is a pretty bold statement and I'm not entirely certain it's true. Nash & Perry were certainly strong players at 18 - IIRC Nash got 39 points in the NHL when he was 18.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
im sure kane will be an impact player wherever he plays...he makes everything look quite easy.

iss- does his lack of grit worry you in a young player? he shies away from physical play....i wouldnt mind him with a bit of an edge.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
He's not physical per say, he doesnt hit ever, but one thing i've noticed he is ALWAYS in perfect position to get hit, he rarely gets hurt in a hit and also rarely goes down...

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
woot. go kane. He is pretty damn good. saw him for the first time here in ottawa when i went to see the knights-67s game. he is really good

Didn't Couture play as good as or better than Gagner & Kane that game? He scored a goal, they didn't....and Couture dominated on faceoffs against Gagner & the rest of the Knights as he's done against Bryan Little and everyone else this season but gets no props for it.
But whatever....it's not really important....just saying I like the kid a lot...despite the fact he had mono and a couple of serious knee injuries and still ended up in the top 32 of the OHL in scoring says a lot...

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
I'll say it again because it is worth repeating...

This is the "better talent" he chose to go play against instead of going to the NCAA?

BlueJays

Dec 12, 2005
I've watched many an NCAA game on TV as well as CHL games...live & on internet & TV....Kane made a very good choice this year....a wise choice....the NCAA is very tough & fast hockey as expected with older players....the CHL is maybe not as fast or tough...but yet, maybe tougher.....Kane is showcasing his skill-set.....het gets a TON of icetime from Dale Hunter (big bucks invested on him & his family, trust me on that...) that he would NOT get in the NCAA.... but he IS PRODUCING with that expanded icetime.....more than any other player gets so props to him....he has to bulk up or else he'll get killed next year or the year after .....but something tells me that he will do it, he'll come through & he'll produce at the next level....he has that magic touch....the midas touch I guess.....Go Kane Go.... you really have to love this kid.....I do....I do not like Dale Hunter the coach....but I admire or even envy Mark Hunter the GM.....he is the best in the entire CHL.......take THAT to the bank!

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll say it again because it is worth repeating...

This is the "better talent" he chose to go play against instead of going to the NCAA?

What's with the Debbie Downer routine? I swear, everytime a thread is started to celebrate an accomplishment, *someone* has to come in and say stuff like this. I think it's obvious Kane wouldn't have put up those kinds of numbers in the NCAA, but what he did was impressive nonetheless, and can only entrench him as a top three pick.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings
iss- does his lack of grit worry you in a young player? he shies away from physical play....i wouldnt mind him with a bit of an edge.

It's fairly common for young skill players such as Kane to lack grit. At lower levels, they are able to get by on their superior skill. As you go up the ladder, though, it gets tougher to get by on skill.

I wouldn't say it worries me, but I would say it's something he has to address. In a way, playing for Dale Hunter is good for Kane. Not that Kane is going to turn into the next Dale Hunter, but I can't remember any skilled NHLers being grittier than Hunter. If Hunter can put a little sandpaper in Kane's game, it will go a long way.

It's not that Kane has to start throwing his weight around -- actually, at 165 or whatever he weighs, he better not -- but he needs to have that fortitude to go into high-traffic areas, protect the puck and be able to roll off contact from bigger, stronger players. This is the type of "physical play'' and grit that Kane needs to improve. He is a skill player, you don't want to make him into Darcy Tucker or Brenden Morrow, but you do want him to be able to use his skills at the next level.

One thing that would really help Kane is if he got stronger in his legs and core. This would give him added speed -- because he has a pretty good stride -- and make him tougher to knock off the puck. If I were his agent or his coach, this is what I'd be telling him.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If Chicago won the lotto as a bottom 5 team (the latter is still uncertain.the former will not be allowed by the Hockey gods--but we are playing a "theoretical" anyway here) and picked Kane:

1. If he made the team he'd have to move to LW from his favoured RW--because surely they can not move the $6million man (Havlat) from his favoured position just to accomodate "the phenom" to get featured minutes online #1..this would cause immediate friction and thus not be the correct pick for the Hawks...

OR more likely:

2. He can't make the team because:

a) he doesn't play defense and so the Hawks will have to school him first with another year of Jr.,then a stint in they AHL until he's "ready" not not embarrass them with his I refuse to back-check policy...the Hawks"system" doesnot tolerate all out 7-5 "all attack/no defend" type play...

b) he can't kill penalties (all hawks top offensive guns must learn to waste energy doing this task because i) hawks are penalized so often they need capable bodies spending minutes doing this task and ii) Hawks non- "stars" are bums that are so bad that to play them is certain PP goals against--ergo Havlat has to justify his $6million on the PK ;certainly they would expect a #1 line talent like Kane to also do that for the bucks he'll be paid--since he cannot do that=again a useless pick for the Hawks).

c) it is the Hawks policy with draftpicks to take longer to get them to the NHL level than other clubs do with theirs because "we can't rush the kid"...thus Kane must goiback to jr. next year,then get "developed" in the minors on the AHL farm team before he earns the right to displace any currant Hawks "vet" ...

d) Kane would start immmediately on the top line in other situations --ie. say if PHI drafted him--BUT in CHI ,he would qickly turn into a bust as just another "little" guy who was great as a Jr. but couldn't hack it at the NHl level --eg. we've seen it all before --oh the Tony Tanti memories keep flooding back...so after a ten game trial where he still couldn't turn the Hawks PP into anything fearsome,they would pack him back to Jr. Crushed psychologically,he would see his future doomed inbChicago and start "sulking" turning promise into one mor Vorobiev/Yakubov first rounder "bust"...he would loose his confidence and never be the player he once was...

In short--if he goes to almost any other team he'llbe an instant star
catylising their offense..but he'll bust if Chicago gets to ruin him...

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
id personally like him to stay in the O one more year- and focus on bulking up. if he can successfully hit 180-185 his stock will rise big time.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
It's fairly common for young skill players such as Kane to lack grit. At lower levels, they are able to get by on their superior skill. As you go up the ladder, though, it gets tougher to get by on skill.

I wouldn't say it worries me, but I would say it's something he has to address. In a way, playing for Dale Hunter is good for Kane. Not that Kane is going to turn into the next Dale Hunter, but I can't remember any skilled NHLers being grittier than Hunter. If Hunter can put a little sandpaper in Kane's game, it will go a long way.

It's not that Kane has to start throwing his weight around -- actually, at 165 or whatever he weighs, he better not -- but he needs to have that fortitude to go into high-traffic areas, protect the puck and be able to roll off contact from bigger, stronger players. This is the type of "physical play'' and grit that Kane needs to improve. He is a skill player, you don't want to make him into Darcy Tucker or Brenden Morrow, but you do want him to be able to use his skills at the next level.

One thing that would really help Kane is if he got stronger in his legs and core. This would give him added speed -- because he has a pretty good stride -- and make him tougher to knock off the puck. If I were his agent or his coach, this is what I'd be telling him.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Sorry, I meant to write this above:

And, didn't he live with Pat Verbeek while playing at a lower level? Wasn't Verbeek a tough customer, relative to his size? Hopefully some of that rubbed off on him, or at least he can still learn from him, as a mentor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->