Kane Traded to San Jose: 2019 First Round Pick, Cond. 2020 4th Rounder, Daniel O'Regan F

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Hated the Okposo deal since day 1. If even a peak of daylight to trade him shows, do it.

He’s not a good fit for how this team wants to look, and doesn’t bring any other talents to make up for it

Reactions: DJN21

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kane has been the better player over the last two seasons. Okposo is a shell of his former self offensively at ES. If he gets bumped off PP1, look out because his numbers are going to plummet. Let's not go revising history.

The only area where Okposo is preferable to Kane is on the PP.

NOTE: I was all for trading Kane since I did not want to touch him at $6+ mil on a 6-7 year deal. (I also hated the Okposo signing two months before we made it, so there's that, too. Let's say it together: DON'T. GIVE. MAX. UFA DEALS. TO. NON-ELITE PLAYERS.)

Just imagine if they shuffle KO down to unit 2 since either a Dahlin-Ristolainen point complement or a Mittelstadt option on PP1 could push Okposo out? That deal... :facepalm:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Just imagine if they shuffle KO down to unit 2 since either a Dahlin-Ristolainen point complement or a Mittelstadt option on PP1 could push Okposo out? That deal... :facepalm:
All we can do is hope his summer marching orders were taken to heart and he comes in a much better conditioned and prepared athlete.

Reactions: Chainshot

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
IF Okposo can return to his former self hes much better than Kane...I don't think he can though.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
So where are all the people crying about how bad of a deal this was for us? A first-rounder + is a great return, especially considering that there apparently weren't many other takers.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
All we can do is hope his summer marching orders were taken to heart and he comes in a much better conditioned and prepared athlete.

It certainly wont hurt but I'm not sure how much it will help. He processed the game so slowly last season. He looked exactly how Tim Connolly and Tyler Ennis looked after suffering concussions. Okposo never had a quick release to begin with but there were many times last season especially on the PP where he would get the puck on his stick and have an internal monologue debate on what to do with the puck.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Seems like he should meet that expectation. Gaustad talked about dropping overall weight as a way to get faster for his final season, it wouldn't surprise me if Okposo is a little bit lighter for this season.

In the meanwhile, listening to TSN690 in Montreal lose their minds over Kane's deal and how it might impact Pacioretty. Good times. :biglaugh:

Reactions: joshjull

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It certainly wont hurt but I'm not sure how much it will help. He processed the game so slowly last season. He looked exactly how Tim Connolly and Tyler Ennis looked after suffering concussions. Okposo never had a quick release to begin with but there were many times last season especially on the PP where he would get the puck on his stick and have an internal monologue debate on what to do with the puck.
Keep hope alive my friend. Its all we can do.

Reactions: Aladyyn

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
This has come up before, for some reason that extra 500k is the line between acceptable and insanity....

It’s comical when the lowest paid player in the entire NHL makes more then that....even a guy being overpaid by $1 million per is hardly a big deal if it’s an elite player.

If Kane signs for $5.75 over 7 years everyone says that’s a good deal. On an 80 million dollar cap that’s less a 2% savings from the contract he signed, it is worth losing a player who fit I’m really well over less then 2% of your cap space?

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
It’s comical when the lowest paid player in the entire NHL makes more then that....even a guy being overpaid by $1 million per is hardly a big deal if it’s an elite player.

If Kane signs for $5.75 over 7 years everyone says that’s a good deal. On an 80 million dollar cap that’s less a 2% savings from the contract he signed, it is worth losing a player who fit I’m really well over less then 2% of your cap space?

Absolutely. There is always efficiency issues for cap leagues, but teams seldom get killed by an extra percent or two on an elite player.

They get killed by overpaying middle tier guys. Moulson, Bogo, phaneuf, Bickel.

What is Kane.... I wouldn’t pay a non elite winger big dollars, and I think he is not that. But I don’t think the 500k is the problem, it’s more like 2 million more than I would be comfortable.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Okposo's down years are better than than Kane's best years.
Statistically maybe, but for a large portion of this year Okposo was not an NHL player and was horrifically dragging down our top 6 at ES, to the tune of something like 4 points in 30 games there at the end, while looking WORSE than he produced.

I am glad we didn't take Kane back, but Kane certainly was far better this season

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Negative nancy thinking. I can't remember the last player that has managed to turn things around on this team. I hope I'm wrong since Okposo seems like a great guy.
Yeah, the next time a Lucic/Eriksson/Ladd/Okposo aging winger finds his "second legs" after not being quick in the first place will be the first.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Kane has been the better player over the last two seasons. Okposo is a shell of his former self offensively at ES. If he gets bumped off PP1, look out because his numbers are going to plummet. Let's not go revising history.

The only area where Okposo is preferable to Kane is on the PP.

NOTE: I was all for trading Kane since I did not want to touch him at $6+ mil on a 6-7 year deal. (I also hated the Okposo signing two months before we made it, so there's that, too. Let's say it together: DON'T. GIVE. MAX. UFA DEALS. TO. NON-ELITE PLAYERS.)
We'll still be paying Ehrhoff when Kane's deal expires.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I flew thru the last couple pages kinda quick. So I may have missed it, but could someone answer ....

What number pick is the 1st round pick we aquired from SJ?

Sabres

Jan 15, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I flew thru the last couple pages kinda quick. So I may have missed it, but could someone answer ....

What number pick is the 1st round pick we aquired from SJ?

It's a 2019 1st, unless San Jose misses the playoffs. Then we would get their 2020 1st unprotected.

Reactions: ZZamboni

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
It's sort of ironic that this year I was somewhat rooting for the Sharks to win the Cup and next year if they make the playoffs, I will be rooting for a 1st round exit.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
We'll still be paying Ehrhoff when Kane's deal expires.

We don’t pay him anything. It’s not our money and it doesn’t count on our teams cap.

I can think of nothing less important to us than Ehrhoff’s buyout.

Reactions: CacOBG

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
We don’t pay him anything. It’s not our money and it doesn’t count on our teams cap.

I can think of nothing less important to us than Ehrhoff’s buyout.
The Mets will make their final $1.2m payment to Bobby Bonilla in 2035. ;)

Makes Ehrhoff's $850k per year seem like a bargain. I'm sure Terry spends more per year on gas for the PegulaJet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->