Kane nominated for King Clancy

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He deserves it for all the stuff he’s working on, but considering leadership and sportsmanship on the ice are a qualification I don’t see it.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The diversity council stuff is so much bigger than just hockey that it would make a lot of sense for him to win but the legal troubles and on-ice shenanigans would make it a bitter pill to swallow for a lot of people

Reactions: themelkman

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Good to see. Hopefully Kane gets more recognition for the work he puts in off the ice so refs stop singling him out.

Reactions: Phu and TreeLane

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
He's really made a ton of strides recently. Really since he's been a Shark. We were the perfect organization for him. I genuinely like and respect the guy.

Reactions: Phu and Munnyro

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
He deserves it for all the stuff he’s working on, but considering leadership and sportsmanship on the ice are a qualification I don’t see it.

The award is voted on by a panel of selected writers and broadcasters.

These people have access to the locker room and the ability to talk to team mates/coaches/gm's of the players being nominated.

Just because you as a fan can't see his leadership doesn't mean that it is not there.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

These people have access to the locker room and the ability to talk to team mates/coaches/gm's of the players being nominated.

Just because you as a fan can't see his leadership doesn't mean that it is not there.
Im not anti Kane or anything, im just saying that before this year his reputation with the media wasnt exactly great, and on the ice he still is pretty hotheaded. Maybe they determine the diversity club is more important than those things, but who knows.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

Teammates nominate their player (hence, why Subban not getting nominated was a "big deal").

As for final voting:

"Voting: Each NHL team submits a nominee for the King Clancy Memorial Trophy. The three finalists and ultimate winner are selected by a committee of senior NHL executives led by Commissioner Gary Bettman and Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly."

As far as I can tell, writers and broadcasters are not part of the equation for this trophy, at least not anymore. But I do agree with your sentiment.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm somewhat concerned that Kane's great off-ice actions/utility will dictate his standing on the team. His on-ice performance has been subpar relative to expectations/contract.

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020
Kane in Buffalo and Winnipeg - I think his personality was stifled due to team culture and regional biases.

California is a lot more open and accepting. He's succeeding on the ice, off the ice (personal life and community involvement). And feeling safe in the city.
Well stated. He has been given the space to become a well-rounded person. A lot of that can be credited to Pavelski, Jumbo, Burns and Patty as well, as said by Joel Ward. The Sharks locker room isn't always perfect but I imagine it's a special place to be when the year is going well.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020
I'm somewhat concerned that Kane's great off-ice actions/utility will dictate his standing on the team. His on-ice performance has been subpar relative to expectations/contract.
Absolutely disagree. He has been a 30 goal scorer since arriving, I have watched many games since his arrival where he is the only one who seems to put forth a winning effort. He has off-nights but there isn't one Shark that doesn't.

Of most of the forwards in the 7 mil - 7.3 mil range Kane is in the same ballpark numbers wise as Anders Lee, Kevin Hayes, Clayton Keller and David Krejci (minus one 70 point season) Kyle Connor of course is a more avid scorer but he trumps all the players in that salary range.

There are some making less than him that score more and there are some making way more that do less.

Points aren't the only thing Kane is relied upon for. He is expected to agitate, hit, fight, lead (to a smaller degree) but who knows how much leadership is required of him in the locker room..He may do way more than we think.

Did you have different expectations? IMO he has met every expectation except playoffs.

Reactions: HzH and Phu

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Good grief that is absolutely ridiculous man. He has absolutely been worth his contract so far. Just a silly comment IMO.
There it is...
see what the coaches think about that... played the 2nd or 3rd most minutes for the team that got to the conference final. I'd say the coaches disagree with your assesment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu and TreeLane

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Good grief that is absolutely ridiculous man. He has absolutely been worth his contract so far. Just a silly comment IMO.

see what the coaches think about that... played the 2nd or 3rd most minutes for the team that got to the conference final. I'd say the coaches disagree with your assesment.

He was the 2nd highest-paid forward and 3rd in minutes. I think he tied Vlasic in scoring...perhaps the coaches were trying to get him going.

Someone said that if Kane had just matched his regular-season production in the playoffs, he'd have 7 more points. How many goals is that? How many extra wins is that? If Kane played to just his regular-season level (which, IMO, was still below what I expected of him), I think that the Sharks beat Vegas earlier, which probably means they beat Colorado earlier....who knows that happens then.

TreeLane

Jul 12, 2020

Thanks for the back up Doc. Kane quickly turned into one of my favorite players and one of the better Sharks in the last couple seasons.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Kane has been fine in the last few seasons and his contract is just fine. More consistency and less bad penalty's would make him near perfect at what he is

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
He was the 2nd highest-paid forward and 3rd in minutes. I think he tied Vlasic in scoring...perhaps the coaches were trying to get him going.

Someone said that if Kane had just matched his regular-season production in the playoffs, he'd have 7 more points. How many goals is that? How many extra wins is that? If Kane played to just his regular-season level (which, IMO, was still below what I expected of him), I think that the Sharks beat Vegas earlier, which probably means they beat Colorado earlier....who knows that happens then.
This has been hashed and rehashed. I'm in the camp that believe he had an arm or shoulder injury after that fight in game 3 (I think) that kept him from shooting as he normally does. The stats bear it out too as well as the eye test on how little he actually shot.
Kane has been fine in the last few seasons and his contract is just fine. More consistency and less bad penalty's would make him near perfect at what he is
I would love less penalties too but unless he can somehow not be black I don't think he's going to get less penalties. It's a microcosm of our society.
Thanks for the back up Doc. Kane quickly turned into one of my favorite players and one of the better Sharks in the last couple seasons.
No doubt. He gets a lot of unjustified criticism here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->