Kane for Hart Trophy?

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Kopitar lost to someone with even less help that year.

Very poor example.
Hall? Averaged less time on ice and didn't play the hard minutes like Kopitar did. But that doesn't explain why Kopitar got very little votes and barely qualified for 3rd place.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Kane is currently playing like the best in the league, and he also was at different times years ago, but in between he has had some uninspired seasons where he isn't that good.

That's BS.

Last season (2019-2020), 84 points in 70 games which left him eighth in the league. The season prior (2018-2019) he had 110 points in 81 games and was third behind McDavid and Kucherov. He was a finalist for the Lindsay along with those two and posted a career high in points.

His worst season was in 2017-18 when he scored 76 points in 82 games, that was the first time he wasn't PPG since 2012 and ultimately finished 28th in the league. The two season prior he scored 89 (2016-17) and 106 (2015-16) points and in that year won the Hart, Art Ross etc. The seasons prior to that he was winning cups.

So, I guess you could argue 2017-18 was an "uninspired season" finishing 28th in the league in points but every other year since 2015 when the Hawks last won the cup he was top 10 in the league. I would not say that was several uninspired seasons. I think people just forgot how good he was.

To recap, after the 2015 cup, Kane finished 1st, 2nd, 28th, 3rd, 8th and now sits 2nd in points. He is second in the league in points in that period with 499 trailing McDavid by 10 points. He is second in goals scored after Ovechkin and third in points per game to McDavid and Kucherov.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
If we strictly look at the definition of the Hart trophy, then Patrick Kane should be winning it, if season ended today.

If he somehow finishes top 2-3 point leader (75-80 points), while carrying a mediocre Blackhawks team to the playoffs like he’s been doing thus far, then It’d be blasphemy to not award him the Hart.

However, I don’t like his chances, cause the Hart is traditionally awarded to the Art Ross winner.

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
If they make the playoffs, he will win based on the precedent set when Hall won by putting NJ on his back. What a player. I honestly enjoy watching him play more than anyone else in the league. Sure McD is fast and has all the McD powers. Kane is just a different kind of skill....Its just so calculated. His hands think faster than the players around him.

That was kind of an odd year, voters punished McDavid because the Oilers missed the playoffs even though he easily won that scoring title. I don't think they'd vote that way again if his team made the playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's BS.

Last season (2019-2020), 84 points in 70 games which left him eighth in the league. The season prior (2018-2019) he had 110 points in 81 games and was third behind McDavid and Kucherov. He was a finalist for the Lindsay along with those two and posted a career high in points.

His worst season was in 2017-18 when he scored 76 points in 82 games, that was the first time he wasn't PPG since 2012 and ultimately finished 28th in the league. The two season prior he scored 89 (2016-17) and 106 (2015-16) points and in that year won the Hart, Art Ross etc. The seasons prior to that he was winning cups.

So, I guess you could argue 2017-18 was an "uninspired season" finishing 28th in the league in points but every other year since 2015 when the Hawks last won the cup he was top 10 in the league. I would not say that was several uninspired seasons. I think people just forgot how good he was.

To recap, after the 2015 cup, Kane finished 1st, 2nd, 28th, 3rd, 8th and now sits 2nd in points. He is second in the league in points in that period with 499 trailing McDavid by 10 points. He is second in goals scored after Ovechkin and third in points per game to McDavid and Kucherov.

"where he isn't that good" is using the best winger in the game as a baseline. He sometimes has been the best and I'd say he is currently. But not always, and that isn't that hard to argue.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Hall? Averaged less time on ice and didn't play the hard minutes like Kopitar did. But that doesn't explain why Kopitar got very little votes and barely qualified for 3rd place.

I didn’t say Hall or Kopitar deserved it, I said Hall had even less help than Kopitar.

the point you made was proven to be incorrect

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
If we strictly look at the definition of the Hart trophy, then Patrick Kane should be winning it, if season ended today.

If he somehow finishes top 2-3 point leader (75-80 points), while carrying a mediocre Blackhawks team to the playoffs like he’s been doing thus far, then It’d be blasphemy to not award him the Hart.

However, I don’t like his chances, cause the Hart is traditionally awarded to the Art Ross winner.

it’s not like the Oilers are a powerhouse team either. Both leading candidates have the mediocre team status.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't call Debrincat no help. He's scored 40 before.

DeBrincat is having a phenomenal season as well. If he hadn't missed 4 games because of COVID protocol he might be up there right next to Kane.

He's slowly inching into the elite category. Especially with the strides he has made in his two-way play. A big reason Kane is having the season he's having.

Reactions: CallMeShaft

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's too early for this discussion with McDavid still having a very realistic shot of breaking 100 points in 56 games this season. If McDavid hits 100 points and the Hart goes to anyone else, it just won't be right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad