Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He's going to be ready sooner rather than later, as I've been saying for some time. The kid was born to be a professional hockey player, he didn't want to be in school. Now he's where he wants to be, and he's going to flourish.
Any chance of getting some lottery numbers...WOW...he was FANTASTIC last night !!! He made a few poised moves for rookie with the puck and joined in on the rush a couple of times when we had a good lead . Most impressive Ranger on the ice and that is no slight to a few others last night . It's MILLER TIME !!!!

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Even though he’s not been terrible and was actually pretty good yesterday he seems like an ideal send-down candidate if the AHL ever starts up again . He can really work on his game there. He looks raw af

I think he looks raw too, but I think the best way for him to address that is to play NHL minutes.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
If I remember right, we had sources that all three teams between Ottawa and the Rangers were prepared to pick Miller. I know I had information on Minnesota. Miller was their guy.

Smart trade up. Great future. Only 20!

Amazing move at that table. I remember the consensus around here was 'immediately thrilled'.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I think he looks raw too, but I think the best way for him to address that is to play NHL minutes.

Yeah he doesn't seem overwhelmed at all. Why send him down, if he can keep up with the NHL pace. Seems like a perfect situation for him to learn the pro game without losing confidence nor having a negative impact on the team. I feel like he's only going to get better as the season goes along.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Just remember you are asking this board to have patience with the rookie. Good luck with that. The next time he makes a mistake that leads to a goal people will be calling him a bust. This kid is the real deal, he just needs the minutes.

This is an instance were Corsi can help, if he got good advanced stats he will be supported. Just like Skjei he should have that until he gets tougher usage, and then it will more depend on if our top guys can match with the other top guys around us. I like Panarin and Laf’s potential there.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Personally, I think Miller looks like he would benefit greatly from some AHL time. He looks like someone who would benefit much more from getting 20 minutes a night in the AHL and really learning the pro game. Right now Quinn is going to really have a leash on him, and rightly so. He isn't going to get much game action in important situations, like up a goal late in the 3rd.

So much to like about him, I just hope everyone keeps things in perspective with what will be a very up and down season for him. But based on the hot takes over the last couple days I wouldn't put money on it haha.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Personally, I think Miller looks like he would benefit greatly from some AHL time. He looks like someone who would benefit much more from getting 20 minutes a night in the AHL and really learning the pro game. Right now Quinn is going to really have a leash on him, and rightly so. He isn't going to get much game action in important situations, like up a goal late in the 3rd.

So much to like about him, I just hope everyone keeps things in perspective with what will be a very up and down season for him. But based on the hot takes over the last couple days I wouldn't put money on it haha.

The player we saw last night didn't look like one on a short leash. He was making plays with the puck in the defensive zone all night to open space to start a breakout and even saw him pinch a few times. By the looks of it he's already gained quite a bit of trust from Quinn.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
The player we saw last night didn't look like one on a short leash. He was making plays with the puck in the defensive zone all night to open space to start a breakout and even saw him pinch a few times. By the looks of it he's already gained quite a bit of trust from Quinn.

Maybe leash was the wrong word. I don't expect Quinn to not let him try and play his full game so much as I suspect Quinn will shorten the bench with him not getting much ice time in close games. Obviously there is going to be a lot more leeway in a blowout win.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Maybe leash was the wrong word. I don't expect Quinn to not let him try and play his full game so much as I suspect Quinn will shorten the bench with him not getting much ice time in close games. Obviously there is going to be a lot more leeway in a blowout win.

Hes going to cut his teeth at the NHL level unless he plays a stretch of games where hes clearly overwhelmed.

Our AHL staff is actually good now so that isnt a terrible option if he needs it. But he doesnt need 20 minutes off the bat. As long as he isn't getting 8 minutes a night, we're good.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Really liked his game yesterday.

One thing, it’s important to remember that in terms of evening out your game, learning all this-might-work-elsewhere-but-not-in-the-NHL-stuff, just takes time.

Miller is still really young. He is big and hence not super mobile (see: law of physics). My point is just, be prepared for it, he will cost us goals against. He will end up in embarrassing spots. And it will get a lot better with time if we give it to him.

Agree but I haven’t seen him try these plays that don’t work in the NHL yet.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He’s gonna make a lot of stupid plays because he’s still really uncertain with the puck. But if he can be paired with a puck mover they’ll be in a good place.

Probably no one benefitted from a blowout more than Miller. Got to play a lot in that 3rd period.

Didn’t see this uncertainty you referring at all, outside of the first half of the first game that’s clearly attributable to nerves.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Hes going to cut his teeth at the NHL level unless he plays a stretch of games where hes clearly overwhelmed.

Our AHL staff is actually good now so that isnt a terrible option if he needs it. But he doesnt need 20 minutes off the bat. As long as he isn't getting 8 minutes a night, we're good.

I don't disagree with that. With the uncertainty of the AHL season and how bad our LD depth is, I agree that right now this is where he should be. I just think from an ultimate development standpoint, in a normal year, it would have been better to start by getting 20 minutes at the AHL and then easing into the NHL part way through the season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't disagree with that. With the uncertainty of the AHL season and how bad our LD depth is, I agree that right now this is where he should be. I just think from an ultimate development standpoint, in a normal year, it would have been better to start by getting 20 minutes at the AHL and then easing into the NHL part way through the season.

Yeah in a non Covid world he would have started in the A.

This is basically a lonnnnnng audition for him. He hasn't been letter perfect, but I've seen more good than bad from him so far. If that doesn't start to tilt the other way, I don't think he sees a second of AHL time.

OTOH, he'd 100% get those special teams minutes in with Hartford. Maybe he works his way onto the PK rotation? We've got time to get that figured out and neither option for him is really a bad one.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

It's very unclear what the AHL season will look like. And how good it will be as a developmental league this year. So much uncertainty. Yes, I know there are plans for there to be an AHL season. But that league may be hard to sustain given the financial limitations. That said, if this were a regular season I would have preferred Miller start down in the AHL. I do think he's showing that the speed of the game is something he can handle. What he needs to develop is his decision making and positioning without the puck. Without being in the know, its just too hard to judge at this moment if developing in the NHL under Martin is just what he needs or if it's going to the AHL and learning under Murphy. For at least the next month this is a moot point. But I think they will need to monitor this and be honest with K'Andre about where he's at.

I think, for now, the best way to use him is sorta the way he was used last night. Shelter his minutes and his matchups in close games. Give him more ice time in lower stakes situations. He looked stronger last night, not only because he's naturally getting more comfortable, but because Quinn and Martin put him in a situation to succeed.

Also -- I thought Smith was a revelation on the 3rd pairing with him. Asking Smith to be responsible one on the bottom pair is something he seems more than capable of. He is more than capable in easier match up situations. Especially if he's not being asked to lead the breakout or rush.

Reactions: Fireonk

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
He's from North America so that won't apply to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad