Prospect Info: K'Andre Miller (D) - Part IV

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I loved the way he wrecked the Devil the other night and then showed amazing skill with his stick handling to get the puck out of the zone. He's had some struggles(what rookie Dman doesn't) but I'm very happy from what I have seen this year.

Reactions: haveandare

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Trouba doesn’t get enough credit for being a rock for Miller. The two have been a solid pair and have great chemistry. His physical attributes have helped recover from a mistake. Hopefully as he continues to grow he’ll make fewer mistakes to begin with.

Trouba definitely deserves A LOT of credit for the way Miller transitioned and looked (calm and composed) on the defensive end.

One other thing that I wanted to point out again (because it was brought up before) is Miller's decisiveness when going for an offensive play. We all discussed to death how the Rangers other prized prospects look hesitant trying to make a play or even figuring out where to be - a mental process vast majorities of rookies have to go through to get it down to the instantaneous, instinct-like reactionary level. Miller doesn't show this hesitation and has this part down with some "courageous" plays to attempt for a rookie. Before making the play he knows what he wants to do and just goes about executing it. Again, pretty remarkable!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Trouba definitely deserves A LOT of credit for the way Miller transitioned and looked (calm and composed) on the defensive end.

One other thing that I wanted to point out (again because it was brought up before) is Miller's decisiveness when going for an offensive play. We all discussed to death how the Rangers other prized prospects look hesitant trying to make a play or even figuring out where to be - a mental process vast majorities of rookies have to go through to get it down to the instantaneous, instinct-like reactionary level. Miller doesn't show this hesitation and has this part down with some "courageous" plays to attempt for a rookie. Before making the play he knows what he wants to do and just go about executing it. Again, pretty remarkable!

Sometimes I wish he was a little decisive but I feel like we haven't seen him burned that way in a while. He had a string of games in the middle of the season though where he looked bad pinching.

Anyway, Trouba is a guy that gets more shit than he should. Though I will say it's been less so this year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Trouba doesn’t get enough credit for being a rock for Miller. The two have been a solid pair and have great chemistry. His physical attributes have helped recover from a mistake. Hopefully as he continues to grow he’ll make fewer mistakes to begin with.

And without Trouba, Fox wouldn't have had the time and opportunity to adjust to the NHL level with favourable match ups in his rookie season. I think Trouba is more valuable than Ranger fans give him credit for.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
It's crazy that he has played a grand total of 39 NHL games.

I fully admit to being a Miller apologist, but it's for this exact reason. No time in the minors. Straight to the NHL playing a position that is notoriously difficult for young players to fully grasp. Sure he's made some mistakes, but the kid has been unreal.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One other thing that I wanted to point out again (because it was brought up before) is Miller's decisiveness when going for an offensive play. We all discussed to death how the Rangers other prized prospects look hesitant trying to make a play or even figuring out where to be - a mental process vast majorities of rookies have to go through to get it down to the instantaneous, instinct-like reactionary level. Miller doesn't show this hesitation and has this part down with some "courageous" plays to attempt for a rookie. Before making the play he knows what he wants to do and just goes about executing it. Again, pretty remarkable!
Think that you are right but also believe that a part of that decisiveness is at least partly due to the knowledge that he has Trouba back there to back him up.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
And without Trouba, Fox wouldn't have had the time and opportunity to adjust to the NHL level with favourable match ups in his rookie season. I think Trouba is more valuable than Ranger fans give him credit for.
Agreed. The main thing imo is that his point production is so much less than people expected after he had that 50 pt season in WPG. Makes it easy for people to get on him when he’s anything less than stand out great defensively

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
I loved the way he wrecked the Devil the other night and then showed amazing skill with his stick handling to get the puck out of the zone. He's had some struggles(what rookie Dman doesn't) but I'm very happy from what I have seen this year.

Pretty sure that was on McLeod whose no slouch either.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Think that you are right but also believe that a part of that decisiveness is at least partly due to the knowledge that he has Trouba back there to back him up.

Ok, maybe it’s the difference between tangible support where you can actually see Trouba covering for Miller while what you’re suggesting (and I’m in agreement) is sort of a mental, soft support letting Miller not think twice about leaving his defensive post. TBH, I can barely think of when Miller was going for an offensive play that left defense exposed but he seems to always be able to execute a play anyway.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
I looked for a Miller player discussion thread and didn't find one so I dredged this up from page 13. This guy looked amazingly good for 2/3 or 3/4 of last season and has looked like crap ever since. I see comments on how bad he is sprinkled throughout other threads but the season is now here and I hope that the Miller and Trouba pairing aren't a black hole on what we hope will be a much improved team.

Reactions: tlk

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Miller was so good early last season (there was Calder talk) that I think the Rangers should give him a decent sized leash. That said, if he continues to struggle in October-November, they should send him to Hartford for some seasoning. The team has some flexibility with Schneider and Jones knocking on the door.

I know it’s more fun to discuss trades than development, but I hope the team hangs on to all three (and Lundkvist) for now. They’re all so young—seems reckless to guess who will emerge as the best of the bunch at this stage.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As far as Miller hasn't been bad, has a track record and is not looked at in the same way as Jones is. Miller has a spot. That's not likely to change.

Some players will never see a day of AHL action even if they stink it up. We saw it with Vesey and Howden.

I honestly wouldn't put money on him spending time in Hartford but if his play doesn't improve, I wouldn't rule it out either. I didn't understand why Miller and Kravtsov were basically handed spots before pre-season even started. Kravtsov has earned it since, but I don't feel the same about Miller unfortunately.

Reactions: dshea19

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Imagine he became a mammoth like Byfuglien.. Wasn't he 'lanky' as well when he first came up? or am I remembering wrong

Idk if he was big boned or what but Byfuglien was a much bigger man. Fball type build are just heavier set. Miller will likely be as heavy or heaver than most yet i doubt he becomes a Byfuglien

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Miller will continue to have ups and downs.

Very few prospects develop in a straight line and Miller was never going to be the exception.

I think he’ll be just fine with patience.

What fans should try to avoid (for their own sanity) is the extremes. Don’t etch a kid’s name into the foundation of the franchise 10 games into their NHL careers, or look to ditch them at the first signs of trouble.

These kids are going to be works in progress for a while still.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You know that a guy is doing well when you have to dig to the 4th page to find his thread.

Out of our top6 defensemen:

1st in CF%
1st in xGF%
2nd in SCF% (Scoring chances for %)
1st in HDCF% (High danger corsi for %)
5th in GF%
5th in PDO

And he has minimized his blunders dramatically imo. He still puts himself in positions that most solid defensemen wouldn't, but he recovers from them like very, very few defensemen can.

I remember one play last night where he waved at an aerial pass that was going to the guy on his outside wing, and missed it. It looked a textbook scenario where the defensemen would be beaten wide for a quality scoring chance, but he never gave up a step. Missed the pass, and was still on top of the guy before he had even gotten possession.

His physical abilities are near the very top in the league; it's just not normal for a guy of that size to be able to get around as efficiently as he does. That we voted Lundkvist ahead of him in the last poll is a testament to how much we ignore just how difficult it is for kids to acclimate to the NHL.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
You know that a guy is doing well when you have to dig to the 4th page to find his thread.

Out of our top6 defensemen:

1st in CF%
1st in xGF%
2nd in SCF% (Scoring chances for %)
1st in HDCF% (High danger corsi for %)
5th in GF%
5th in PDO

And he has minimized his blunders dramatically imo. He still puts himself in positions that most solid defensemen wouldn't, but he recovers from them like very, very few defensemen can.

I remember one play last night where he waved at an aerial pass that was going to the guy on his outside wing, and missed it. It looked a textbook scenario where the defensemen would be beaten wide for a quality scoring chance, but he never gave up a step. Missed the pass, and was still on top of the guy before he had even gotten possession.

His physical abilities are near the very top in the league; it's just not normal for a guy of that size to be able to get around as efficiently as he does. That we voted Lundkvist ahead of him in the last poll is a testament to how much we ignore just how difficult it is for kids to acclimate to the NHL.
I think he’s been very good lately too, WAY better than Lundkvist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad