Tribute Kampf

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
Leaf fan here.

Honestly I have no f***ing clue what to expect from this guy. Can someone fill me in?

cheers
He wins his matchups and flips the ice. If paired with other guys that can cycle his line will have some extended shifts pinning the other teams top lines in their own zone and make them work. It will almost never result in a goal, but it's winning the game within the game.

Your big guns will love having him do the dirty work and getting them OZone starts.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Good defensively but not a huge offensive upside. The kind of guy you want to start in your d-zone as much as possible. Good penalty killer. He does seem to get scoring chances but struggles to put them in so he might have a year with some lucky bounces. Very hard worker that your coach will use to help shut down your team's toughest competition.

Our coach used to have him on to start 3 v 3 overtime to start. If he won the draw, he'd scooch off in favour of Patrick Kane as Kampf was the only guy who could win a draw with Kamp out. He's a low key guy that you will appreciate having on your team for his hard work but the meatballs will complain that he doesn't score.

Very cute dog.

I must be one of the "meatballs", although I didn't complain that he didn't score, per se. I complained because JC kept throwing him out there with upper lines. He's a complete fish out of water when expected to generate any kind of offense. His career .25 ppg is clear testament to that.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
If the truth were to be known, I was disappointed with Kampf's progress as a Blackhawk. When he was a rookie I thought there was real potential for him to be able to play both sides of the puck. But for whatever reason, he became another Kruger minus the rag dolling against.
Maybe a change of scenery will give him more freedom to contribute more on offence but there is no doubting his defensive game.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Why would Stan get rid of the best shutdown cente 4th liner, best pker on the team and the only guy that could win a face off to save his life? This is another idiotic move, can this guy get anything right? Also where is the continuity from year to year? It seems like every year we have a new roster, this guy has lost his Fn mind…

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
VG defense, VG penalty killer, zero offense, hands of stone.
Good defensively but not a huge offensive upside. The kind of guy you want to start in your d-zone as much as possible. Good penalty killer. He does seem to get scoring chances but struggles to put them in so he might have a year with some lucky bounces. Very hard worker that your coach will use to help shut down your team's toughest competition.

Our coach used to have him on to start 3 v 3 overtime to start. If he won the draw, he'd scooch off in favour of Patrick Kane as Kampf was the only guy who could win a draw with Kamp out. He's a low key guy that you will appreciate having on your team for his hard work but the meatballs will complain that he doesn't score.

Very cute dog.

He wins his matchups and flips the ice. If paired with other guys that can cycle his line will have some extended shifts pinning the other teams top lines in their own zone and make them work. It will almost never result in a goal, but it's winning the game within the game.

Your big guns will love having him do the dirty work and getting them OZone starts.
If he plays a shut-down role on the fourth line you love him. If he is asked to do anything else (like playing with your o talent) you will hate him.
Ya I am not going to lie, I think this is exactly the type of player we need. We have not had a true shutdown/matchup centreman since Kadri left. Hell we haven't had a true centreman kill penalties consistently for years. Hard to start the PK off strong when your asking a winger to win the draw. I really don't care if Kampf scores a single goal next year TBH. If he can neuter the opponents top line I will be stoked. I obviously don't expect that to be just coming from him, but if they pair him with Micheyev and another hard working winger it will be a VERY hard line to play against by the sounds of it.

My guess is that they are going to use David heavily as a matchup Centre on our 3rd line. I am purely basing that on Kyle Dubas' reported interest level in Kampf for some time combined with the contract he got. 1.5 x 2 years is pretty steep for a 4th liner on any team, let alone the Leafs who are so top heavy in that regard. Have to think his role will be a bit greater.

not going to lie though, I had never heard of this dude before the Leafs signed him lol. Almost had a f***ing jammer when I saw 1.5AAV for a guy I didn't know existed. But I am actually starting to really love this pickup now that I'm gathering all the intel. Still a slight overpayment by the sounds of it, but he fills a massive hole for us.

Thanks to all for responding, appreciate it!

Reactions: Pertti and bwana63

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Ya I am not going to lie, I think this is exactly the type of player we need. We have not had a true shutdown/matchup centreman since Kadri left. Hell we haven't had a true centreman kill penalties consistently for years. Hard to start the PK off strong when your asking a winger to win the draw. I really don't care if Kampf scores a single goal next year TBH. If he can neuter the opponents top line I will be stoked. I obviously don't expect that to be just coming from him, but if they pair him with Micheyev and another hard working winger it will be a VERY hard line to play against by the sounds of it.

My guess is that they are going to use David heavily as a matchup Centre on our 3rd line. I am purely basing that on Kyle Dubas' reported interest level in Kampf for some time combined with the contract he got. 1.5 x 2 years is pretty steep for a 4th liner on any team, let alone the Leafs who are so top heavy in that regard. Have to think his role will be a bit greater.

not going to lie though, I had never heard of this dude before the Leafs signed him lol. Almost had a f***ing jammer when I saw 1.5AAV for a guy I didn't know existed. But I am actually starting to really love this pickup now that I'm gathering all the intel. Still a slight overpayment by the sounds of it, but he fills a massive hole for us.

I think the majority of non-meatball Leafs fans are gonna either really like him or love him, with sporadic bursts of hatred, lol (another shorthand breakaway snuffed).

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think the majority of non-meatball Leafs fans are gonna either really like him or love him, with sporadic bursts of hatred, lol (another shorthand breakaway snuffed).
To be honest, by and large the majority of Leaf fans adore effort far more than skill. Myself included. It's why guys like Zach Hyman, Darcy Tucker, Doug Gilmour, and Wendal Clark were almost never criticized whereas Mats Sundin, Mitch Marner, Auston Matthews, and William Nylander are. We love someone who will go through a wall to win. By all indication, this guy is that. We already have a guy very similar "offensively" to Kampf in Micheyev who absolutely cannot score despite generating a ton of chances. But Micheyev is still mostly liked by Leaf fans for his effort level. He generates those chances by outworking his opponents. Like Micheyev, Kampf will not score at that low of a percentage probably ever again. I used to reference Paul Byron on Calgary before he was picked up by the Habs when talking about Micheyev. They showed some youtube video On Hockey Night in Canada that a Flames fan made of all of Paul Byrons missed breakways with clown music in the background. A Habs scout ended up watching this, and was like this dude gets 10x more breakaways than the average player in the NHL. Flames put him on waivers, MTL picked him up and worked on his breakaways, he then scored 20 in back to back seasons. Not saying this will be the case for Micheyev or Kampf, but when you generate that many chances, they eventually will start to go in. Certainly more than 1.6% lol

But again, scoring will be a bonus if they can neutralize their matchup and play heavier minutes in the other end of the ice. I think those 2 playing together will be an absolute nightmare for the opposition

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
"we wanted him for a long time"...

Which front office and coaching staff doesn't have 100 players they "want" in their club? If he couldn't find the assets to pry a cheap controlled 4th line player from a rebuilding Chicago the last couple of years, I'm a little skeptical that he wasn't just repeating something he could say for several dozen players.

If it fits the "Bowman sucks" narrative, don't let me be the one to derail it.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

He's not an offensive player. At all. He's extremely low event. He doesn't create chances like Byron. He negates them. At both ends of the ice.

You don't want him on your third line.

Reactions: LavalPhantom

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I find it amusing to see the contrast of winning and what Leafs fans see as expected or normal. Their threads had people calling Kampf starting 66% of his face-offs in the dzone a unheard of thing. Yet the Hawks say on the 2015 playoffs, Kruger had over a 90% disparity of dzone draws vs and under 10% ozone draws.

Sure Tampa had more of the traditional 3rd line 2way grinders, but Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington among others this era have all overworked that 4th line defensive center role to eat top matchups and roll 3 scoring lines. Leafs fans should be happy their method is not, well any random aging vet will make up our bottom 6 method again.

Reactions: DisgruntledHawkFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad